• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

If we lose Bibby this offseason..

AtLaS

We have no use for Rip. We'd also have to trade for him.

of course we do. we need another consistent scorer. but, we would have to trade for him. what we don't need is Iverson. Did you watch CWebb talk about playing with Iverson? Both him and Kenny talked about how much Iverson needs the ball and many guys don't even get to touch the ball when he is in the game. You think Joe and Smoove are going for that? :no-no:

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

of course we do. we need another consistent scorer. but, we would have to trade for him. what we don't need is Iverson. Did you watch CWebb talk about playing with Iverson? Both him and Kenny talked about how much Iverson needs the ball and many guys don't even get to touch the ball when he is in the game. You think Joe and Smoove are going for that? :no-no:

Rip just isn't what we need. He isn't going to make us a championship team and he's getting older. He'll be expiring after next season anyway so there's no reason to give up something substantial for him. Iverson we could sign for nothing and he would be at a reasonable price.

Webber was 100% done when he joined the Sixers, he just wasn't that good anymore. And, he did have one really good season with him.

Like I said, it's extremely difficult to fit Iverson with a team, but next to JJ is actually an ideal fit because he doesn't have to play SG which puts teams at a big defensive disadvantage, and JJ is a good playmaker so that would offset. Regardless, I'd still rather sign Bibby but this is all assuming he leaves, which I hope doesn't happen.

I agree that Hinrich would be a better option but we would have to trade to get him. Who would you be willing to give up to get him?

If you are talking a deal during the season then we can't just trade Bibby because the salaries don't match. If you are talking a summer deal who would we give up?

Over the summer I thought some trade could be worked out with Chicago wherein Bibby would go and Kirk + Sefolousha + filler would come back. I thought this would work as it gave Chicago a temp PG to groom Rose under. That doesn't work now since Rose is starting and Bibby is really leading the Hawks.

So, any attempt to Hinrich would have to involve a summer trade with, what about 9 mil going out from the Hawks? To make that work would require some significant sacrifice on the Hawks part (e.g. Horford+Acie+Evans, for example). In the end of it, there probably just isn't a set of salaries & talent that make sense for a Hinrich trade now.

I agree that Hinrich would be a better option but we would have to trade to get him. Who would you be willing to give up to get him?

If you are talking a deal during the season then we can't just trade Bibby because the salaries don't match. If you are talking a summer deal who would we give up?

That's it in a nutshell. I would rather we resign Bibby but if we can't, Iverson would probably be the best realistic option out there.

• Moderators

Ugh. I have a very hard time getting on board with Iverson as our PG. There are certainly situations where I could see him as the best option but it would be hard to stomach at this point in his career.

• Premium Member

Hinrich's contract declines next year to ~$9.5M. That means you only have to send out ~$7.5M if you're the Hawks.

Claxton + Law = $7.425, so you only need one more minor player to get that trade done.

The Bulls would definitely sign off on Claxton+Law because it clears $6M off their 2010 books and gives them a young backup to Rose.

Hinrich's contract declines next year to ~$9.5M. That means you only have to send out ~$7.5M if you're the Hawks.

Claxton + Law = $7.425, so you only need one more minor player to get that trade done.

The Bulls would definitely sign off on Claxton+Law because it clears $6M off their 2010 books and gives them a young backup to Rose.

That would be ridiculously good for the Hawks. I would have to think that the Bulls could get a lot more for Kirk than Law and cap space. However, I would do that trade any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

That would be ridiculously good for the Hawks. I would have to think that the Bulls could get a lot more for Kirk than Law and cap space. However, I would do that trade any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Yeah I'd do that in a nanosecond but I doubt Chicago does.

• Premium Member

When was the last time Iverson made the team he was on better?

Both Philly and Denver improved after getting rid of Iverson... that should tell you something about his value as a PG.

Iverson is 100% a SG. And at this stage of his career he isn't a very good one anymore. I loved Iverson in his prime, but unless he comes to us for 7 million or less, I'm not interested.

• Premium Member

If Woody was smart enough to at least show case Law a little... this could probably go down.

I think Law's value right now is probably around a Marcus Williams level though.

I don't know if the Bulls would do that or not. It would be a no-brainer for us in my opinion.

That said, I don't know that I would want Hinrich OVER Bibby but it sure would be nice to have Hinrich backing up both Bibby and JJ. Worse case, if we couldn't afford both, it would be a terrfic insurance in case Bibby did leave via free agency.

That seems to make sense. Their trade options with Hinrich are limited since they want to clear cap space.

I don't think we have that kind of luck though.

What it is, people? My first post on Hawksquawk, as I was looking for a reputable, active blog. The AJC blog is silly, as are the conversation blogs on ESPN. Looks like I found it. I expect stimulating convo on my hometown squad.

Allen Iverson? I haven't been a fan since his first season when he used to catch alleys and put-back dunks in traffic. Unless Larry Brown is coaching, he's a detractor, short and long-term, mainly because he, along with Steve Nash, are easily the worst defensive MVP's in the history of the Association. Rip Hamilton? Not a shooting nor combo guard: try complimentary.

On another note, sure, the fan voting for the All-Star Team is jacked up enough, but how about some of these coach's picks? How much of a travesty is it that Szczerbiak (soft), Peja (soft), Ben Wallace (offensively offensive), Brad Miller (who?), and to a lesser extent, Okur (wierd), David West (work in progress), Jason Richardson (erratic), Ilgauskus (molasses), Rip (complimentary), and Yao (baby-bottom soft) have about 20 appearances between them, yet JASON TERRY AND MIKE BIBBY HAVE NONE!!! As a Hawks guy, I remember Jason Terry leaving limbs on the floor while his teammates (like Sha-weak Abdur) were out for drinks by the fourth quarter. Goes to Dallas and directly impacts their deep playoff runs for years to come. Then there's Mike Bibby, who helped lead the Kings very deep every year as a baby (and robbed of a Finals appearance), sees his team disband, has injury trouble, reinvents himself and comes to Atlanta and helps change the culture of a franchise. I know that certain positions are stacked and some guys have "breakthrough"/ fluke seasons, but the coaching fraternity as a whole should be ashamed of the facts stated above. Both of these guys should recieve lifetime achievement nods, and could likely light it up for about 15 or 20 and excite the game, while the guy's mentioned above could only dream of doing so.

"Showcase" Acie? To whom, Kevin McHale? You can't showcase a guy who can't administer a proper screen, running off of it before his big man sets, forcing a moving screen foul and a turnover. Everything I 've seen from Acie screams amatuer. His best career game by far was in a loss. Like I say, McHale took Shelden, and last time I checked, he never plays. If he takes Acie, I will try to call him personally and thank him for making the same mistake twice while improving our squad. While not a Hinrich fan, I would welcome him. He rarely slacks, though I percieve focus issues. I am not the type to speculate as to how well someone would fit in, so we shall see.

Edited by benhillboy

• Premium Member
That seems to make sense. Their trade options with Hinrich are limited since they want to clear cap space.

I don't think we have that kind of luck though.

Thank you.

Hinrich's contract extends well past 2010, and right now there's only a handful of teams willing to take on a contract like that.

And, welcome, benhillboy.

"Showcase" Acie? To whom, Kevin McHale? You can't showcase a guy who can't administer a proper screen, running off of it before his big man sets, forcing a moving screen foul and a turnover. Everything I 've seen from Acie screams amatuer. His best career game by far was in a loss. Like I say, McHale took Shelden, and last time I checked, he never plays. If he takes Acie, I will try to call him personally and thank him for making the same mistake twice while improving our squad. While not a Hinrich fan, I would welcome him. He rarely slacks, though I percieve focus issues. I am not the type to speculate as to how well someone would fit in, so we shall see.

Just like Roddy White his first 2 years,didn't even know to come back to the ball. get rid of bad coaching and it gets fixed instantly. Hell he just needs to play period.

Edited by Cwell

Sign Iverson to a two-year deal, 10 million per. I think he would be a good fit. He would draw lots of attention and then kick the ball out to JJ or throw it up to Smoove. We'd take advantage of his hot perimeter streaks because Iso-Joe would plug AI right for Bibby. Look at Bibby's 3pt%, it's no coincidence that he's doing so well playing next to Joe Johnson. Johnson does the double, Bibby gets the wide-open look. Rinse, repeat ad nausem. Anyways...AI might also be a better mentor for Acie. And we know he'd help sell tickets. Iverson to Smoove would be some great highlights.