Joe Johnson needs to be traded.

Plainview1981

The dude has been rather unimpressive for the most part over the last season and a half. He should well the last couple of months of the season last year. Other than that, his offense hasn't been up to snuff. You can talk about assists all you want, but JJ gets paid to put points on the board and he supposed to be a good shooter. Yet, night in and night out he shoots 5-17 from the field. He has had some of the most awful shooting games this year.

He doesn't provide the leadership and he is an average defensive player at best. He has hit a few big shots, but too many nights he has come up short. Did he even score in the 2nd half against Phx? While Amare was scoring time and time again, JJ was doing nothing but doing his disappearing act. The dude CLEARLY peaked 2 seasons ago and seems to be playing worse and worse. There is no way they can afford to sign him to another big contract without trading him. He just isn't worth it.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Premium Member
The dude has been rather unimpressive for the most part over the last season and a half. He should well the last couple of months of the season last year. Other than that, his offense hasn't been up to snuff. You can talk about assists all you want, but JJ gets paid to put points on the board and he supposed to be a good shooter. Yet, night in and night out he shoots 5-17 from the field. He has had some of the most awful shooting games this year.

He doesn't provide the leadership and he is an average defensive player at best. He has hit a few big shots, but too many nights he has come up short. Did he even score in the 2nd half against Phx? While Amare was scoring time and time again, JJ was doing nothing but doing his disappearing act. The dude CLEARLY peaked 2 seasons ago and seems to be playing worse and worse. There is no way they can afford to sign him to another big contract without trading him. He just isn't worth it.

I love Joe and I'm probably the #1 JJ fan alive but I sadly agree with you 100%. Not on trading him but on the fact that he has been very unimpressive of late.

I love Joe and I'm probably the #1 JJ fan alive but I sadly agree with you 100%. Not on trading him but on the fact that he has been very unimpressive of late.

Maybe I'm hard on the guy sometimes, but seriously... He needs to snap the f*ck out of it and start making some shots. They just lost to a team that got THUMPED by the BOBCATS. Hello! The Suns aren't even a good team anymore.

Assists don't put points on the board? :ohmy: :phone:

• Premium Member
Assists don't put points on the board? :ohmy: :phone:

13 assist from a 2 is pretty good. Especially when you consider that the guy that is paid to get assist only had 6.

Edited by NineOhTheRino

I completely disagree with you. This is the most absurd thread ever. He may not have a good game today, but you know what part of the reason we are where we are this year is because of him. He def. is not having a great January but he is still averaging 16 PPG. I know its upsetting we loss tonight. We should have won this game. But the stat sheet read "The Hawks have not scored in the for 5 minutes..." there are other players who need to contribute on this team. Bibby only had 5 pts., Marvin and Smoove were missing layups near the end and its unacceptable. Woody can slightly be blamed for the loss. He probably should have taken Bibby or Marvin out and put in a hot Flip Murray or Mo Evans. But to suggest trading JJ the guy who averaged 25 PPG, 4 RPG and 6 APG is absurd.

Here's my motto: Get with the team, or get off the board. I hate bandwagon fans!

Edited by frankthetank966

I completely disagree with you. This is the most absurd thread ever. He may not have a good game today, but you know what part of the reason we are where we are this year is because of him. He def. is not having a great January but he is still averaging 16 PPG. I know its upsetting we loss tonight. We should have won this game. But the stat sheet read "The Hawks have not scored in the for 5 minutes..." there are other players who need to contribute on this team. Bibby only had 5 pts., Marvin and Smoove were missing layups near the end and its unacceptable. Woody can slightly be blamed for the loss. He probably should have taken Bibby or Marvin out and put in a hot Flip Murray or Mo Evans. But to suggest trading JJ the guy who averaged 25 PPG, 4 RPG and 6 APG is absurd.

Here's my motto: Get with the team, or get off the board. I hate bandwagon fans!

Joe is shooting a lousy 42% on the season. IF you jack up enough shots you can score 16 points. It's not uncommon around the league. Joe averaged 25PPG a few years ago. That's not now. With the exception of a 2 month stretch, his shooting the last season and a half hasn't been very good. That's alot of what he gets paid to do. Make shots. he is not doing his job. I don't even think Joe scored in the 2nd half... He might have scored a basket or two? Nothing that made any sort of impact tonight.

This are paid PROFESSIONALS. They're not deserving of blind support.

Edited by Hotlanta1981

• Premium Member
there are other players who need to contribute on this team. Bibby only had 5 pts., Marvin and Smoove were missing layups near the end and its unacceptable. Woody can slightly be blamed for the loss. He probably should have taken Marvin out and put in a hot Flip Murray or Mo Evans.

What layups are you talking about that Marvin and Smoove missed? I remember the one that Joe missed! If you take out Marvin late in the game, you hurt your defense and rebounding while not improving your offense because only Bibby and Joe will see the ball anyway. But for your sake, we'll blame Marvin for Joe's and Bibby's poor decisions/shooting down the stretch.

What layups are you talking about that Marvin and Smoove missed? I remember the one that Joe missed! If you take out Marvin late in the game, you hurt your defense and rebounding while not improving your offense because only Bibby and Joe will see the ball anyway. But for your sake, we'll blame Marvin for Joe's and Bibby's poor decisions/shooting down the stretch.

Marvin's only miss was on the run out that was blocked from behind by Stoudemire. And there wasn't much he could have done to prevent it, really.

Don't remember Smith missing a lay-up. He made that dunk in traffic, which was nice. He did miss three jump shots, all bad shot attempts at a bad time in the game, which isn't good. He also had two turnovers in the 6 minute scoreless stretch. So Smith deserves plenty of blame, but not for missing lay-ups because he didn't miss any.

• Premium Member
Marvin's only miss was on the run out that was blocked from behind by Stoudemire. And there wasn't much he could have done to prevent it, really.

Don't remember Smith missing a lay-up. He made that dunk in traffic, which was nice. He did miss three jump shots, all bad shot attempts at a bad time in the game, which isn't good. He also had two turnovers in the 6 minute scoreless stretch. So Smith deserves plenty of blame, but not for missing lay-ups because he didn't miss any.

Its amazing how posters make up stuff to suit their obvious agendas, I wish that we had real Hawk fans as oppose to these fantasy basketball enthusiast like that smoovethefuture cat!

Joe is a very good player, but seriously, how many passionate fans would be considerably sad to see him go? I certainly wouldn't. The guy is simply too weak near the rim and totally disappears too often. At 6'7, 240, his weak attempts inside make me literally levitate off my couch, much higher than he can jump. Who cares if he's logging huge minutes? He's getting paid huge dollars. This is basketball, people. He isn't hauling furniture or molding iron. What do you want Woody to do? Sub Speedy Claxton? (Why does he come to the games? To model?) You have to realize that the ghost of Billy Knight is hovering over this franchise and will continue to do so for some time. When injuries occur, we don't have veterans to step up from man 8-10. Deal with it. I'm not talking to those who think we have a bench past Mo and Flip. You guys are hopeless.

We're talking about a guy who has never been known, in a Hawks uniform anyway, to over-exert himself or show an All-Star caliber motor. The argument that he has to guard the other team's best perimeter player is invalid: He's considerably larger than most guards in the league and easily absorbs contact from them. For a two he is considerably slow and deliberate from end to end. Leadership seems to be non-existent. While putting up nice numbers, I never considered Joe to be the driving force behind the impressive win clip earlier this season, or at any time in his tenure, for that matter. He has yet to impress me a great deal against a quality team. I love my squad, win or lose, healthy or banged up. There was enough blame to go around tonight. As far as Woody, I certainly would've liked to see Flip down the stretch, as he drives to the hole with 10 times the tenacity of Joe, at crucial junctures. Face it, Joe apologists. He has a nice skill set, but he simply doesn't have "It." You will never catch me riding Joe's jock, even if he dropped fiddy. I am convinced that many of you Joe lovers don't remember the NBA in the late eighties and early nineties. A team sitting at 4th place in the East wouldn't dream of featuring him. Think Ron Harper. As a #1 option, he put up close to 20-5-5, on dreadful Cavaliers and Clippers teams, neither having the supporting cast of the Hawks when at full strength. As a second to fourth option, the Bulls and Lakers cruised to 4 championships. That's Joe.

I won't go as far as to say trade him right now, but if he is extended past 2010 with the abundance of more dependable, consistent, aggressive free-agents on the market, I will be highly upset unless he takes a dramatic pay-cut, enabling the GM (contingent on Sund convincing the morons in ownership to do so) to acquire a quality, mid-level, impact player. Now that he seems to have his conditioning issues solved, I occassionally dream of Dwayne Wade in a Hawks uni.

Josh, I beg of you, STOP SHOOTING JUMPERS!!!!!!!!! When will he realize that they lead to wasted possessions and extremely quick points on the other end at least 80% of the time. One minute he looks like an All-Star, the next, he's the poster child for straight-out-of-high school players, and not the LeBron type. The Jermaine O'Neal type that languish at the end of the bench for two years. I've never seen a player who can go from smoking to sickening within 8 minutes, mainly due to lapses in focus and decision-making.

With that said, it's cool. The Pistons lost, too. Hopefully we'll pound the Heat.

"Al Horford to the front desk, please. You're expertise is needed."

Edited by benhillboy

Joe is a very good player, but seriously, how many passionate fans would be considerably sad to see him go? I certainly wouldn't. The guy is simply too weak near the rim and totally disappears too often. At 6'7, 240, his weak attempts inside make literally levitate off my couch, much higher than he can jump. Who cares if he's logging huge minutes? He's getting paid huge dollars. This is basketball, people. He isn't hauling furniture or molding iron. What do you want Woody to do? Sub Speedy Claxton? (Why does he come to the games? To model?) You have to realize that the ghost of Billy Knight is hovering over this franchise and will continue to do so for some time. When injuries occur, we don't have veterans to step up from man 8-10. Deal with it.

We're talking about a guy who has never been known, in a Hawks uniform anyway, to over-exert himself or show an All-Star caliber motor. For a two he is considerably slow and deliberate from end to end. Leadership seems to be non-existent. While putting up nice numbers, I never considered Joe to be the driving force behind the impressive win clip earlier this season, or at any time in his tenure, for that matter. He has yet to impress me a great deal against a quality team. I love my squad, win or lose, healthy or banged up. There was enough blame to go around tonight. As far as Woody, I certainly would've liked to see Flip down the stretch, as he drives to the hole with 10 times the heart of Joe, at crucial junctures. Face it, Joe apologists. He has a nice skill set, but he simply doesn't have "It." Think Ron Harper. As a #1 option, he put up close to 20-5-5, on dreadful Cavaliers and Clippers teams, neither having the supporting cast of the Hawks when at full strength. As a second to fourth option, the Bulls and Lakers cruised to 4 championships. That's Joe.

I won't go as far as to say trade him right now, but if he is extended past 2010 with the abundance of more dependable, consistent, aggressive free-agents on the market, I will be highly upset unless he takes a dramatic pay-cut, enabling the GM (contingent on Sund convincing the morons in ownership to do so) to acquire a quality, mid-level, impact player. Now that he seems to have his conditioning issues solved, I occassionally dream of Dwayne Wade in a Hawks uni.

Josh, I beg of you, STOP SHOOTING JUMPERS!!!!!!!!! When will he realize that they lead to wasted possessions and extremely quick poits on the other end at least 80% of the time. One minute he looks like an All-Star, the next, he's the poster child for straight-out-of-high school players, and not the LeBron type. The Jermaine O'Neal type that languish at the end of the bench for two years. I've never seen a player who can go from smoking to sickening within 8 minutes.

Joe Johnson=Jimmy Jackson

Joe Johnson=Jimmy Jackson

that's absurd.

Joe is a shooter. I've pointed that out in that past and gotten some flack for it. However he does a hell of alot more than that as well.

He doesn't attack the rim. He doen't have alot of lift on those legs. There were a few times he got down low tonight when he didn't finish if he were able to rise like Smoove.

Joe's game isn't Smoove's though. He has a knack for hitting that floater in the lane. He can and does also hit some ridiculous jumpers with guys on him.

Appreciating/not appreciating Joe Johnson and where this team is right now a little more complicated than you might want to get into.

Are you happy with a 4th seed team right now?

If the answer is yes you should think of something nice to say about the Hawks and Joe Johnson.

If the answer is no you should look into a reality check.

Joe Johnson is not Lebron James - i.e. being that height and weight and having the knack to attack the basket. Joe Johnson is not Kobe Bryan either - i.e. having that ability to hit the ridiculous jumper and attack the basket and finish above the rim.

Those players come around once in a generation. Joe chose to play here.

Perhaps your memory is short.