Joe Johnson needs to be traded.

Plainview1981

that's absurd.

Joe is a shooter. I've pointed that out in that past and gotten some flack for it. However he does a hell of alot more than that as well.

He doesn't attack the rim. He doen't have alot of lift on those legs. There were a few times he got down low tonight when he didn't finish if he were able to rise like Smoove.

Joe's game isn't Smoove's though. He has a knack for hitting that floater in the lane. He can and does also hit some ridiculous jumpers with guys on him.

Appreciating/not appreciating Joe Johnson and where this team is right now a little more complicated than you might want to get into.

Are you happy with a 4th seed team right now?

If the answer is yes you should think of something nice to say about the Hawks and Joe Johnson.

If the answer is no you should look into a reality check.

Joe Johnson is not Lebron James - i.e. being that height and weight and having the knack to attack the basket. Joe Johnson is not Kobe Bryan either - i.e. having that ability to hit the ridiculous jumper and attack the basket and finish above the rim.

Those players come around once in a generation. Joe chose to play here.

Perhaps your memory is short.

42%FG

33%3pt

That's the Allen Iverson school of shooting.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's fairly accurate aside from the fact that Joe Johnson is a better shooter, better ball handler, better passer, better defender, better all around scorer, and generally a smarter player.

In short, your comparison is crap.

No. Both guys put up some numbers in their careers, but neither are legit first options. The stats suggest the players are better than they actually are. That's a large part of the point. Both players have some of the same size, both are streak shooters, neither are legit first options.

Edited by Hotlanta1981

No. Both guys put up some numbers in their careers, but neither are legit first options. The stats suggest the players are better than they actually are. That's a large part of the point. Both players have some of the same size, both are streak shooters, neither are legit first options.

The Celtics have 3 max players on their team, or as I like to think of them..... 1st options.

So please answer my ? about whether you're pleased with a 4 seed right now in my original post in respect to this subject.

This is just ridiculous.

I understand that Joe hasn't been impressive recently but you can't trade your best player. And to answer benhillboy's question about who will be sad if Joe Johnson gets traded? I will. I'm a passionate fan as well.

All the Hawks fans that are saying trade Joe need their mind straight. All you guys want is a player like Wade, Lebron, Kobe, etc. Joe isn't that kind of player, end of story. You can't get a player like the Lebrons and Kobes by trading Joe. Joe is a poor mans version of them. We need to be satisfied with that. He is still a player that we can build around. For those who do want Joe Johnson traded, please give us some names on who you want to be the leader and please make the trades realistic. (We all know Lebron, Kobe, Anthony, Bosh, Howard, etc. are not gonna be traded.)

You can say that Joe Johnson is soft, not fast, but the fact of the matter is....Joe Johnson has helped and turned this franchise around. He has helped our team win more games than he has lose games. He may not be a STAR player but he is one of the best scorers, he just doesn't get the opportunity to show it every night with the amount of pressure he has every game. Don't you guys remember Game 4 of the playoffs last year?

Also, how many people here actually think that this thread would have been made if the Hawks won tonight?

You do see the difference between Joe and A.I.'s game though?

Less of a difference than the the rest of JJ's career. I could understand some why he struggled the first half of last season. The team didn't have any 3pt shooting outside of him. JJ has had some big assist games this season, but since that missed FT against Boston, he has been alot more undependable when it matters the most.

The Celtics have 3 max players on their team, or as I like to think of them..... 1st options.

So please answer my ? about whether you're pleased with a 4 seed right now in my original post in respect to this subject.

It's tough to be pleased when you expect this team to have a huge slump and p!ss everything away. But the goal is to win the title and the team is still FAR from that. The team is also only 7-10 against teams with a winning record. Which leaves me to believe they will get thrown out in the first round. They should have won that game last night. Honestly, it's hard to expect them to beat Orlando (Although there is no excuse for getting killed), but they shouldn't have lost to a team that just got whipped by the Bobcats the other night.

I'm mildly happy, but this team has to get alot better before I believe in them. They have to show the commitment to winning and playing hard every night. They do it FAR more often than they have before. They do. No doubt about that. But these guys are professionals, so I expect alot out of them. This is the most frustrating 4th seed team I've ever seen. Fundamentals wise, they do so many things wrong so often. It drives me up the wall even in wins.

Edited by Hotlanta1981

This is just ridiculous.

I understand that Joe hasn't been impressive recently but you can't trade your best player. And to answer benhillboy's question about who will be sad if Joe Johnson gets traded? I will. I'm a passionate fan as well.

All the Hawks fans that are saying trade Joe need their mind straight. All you guys want is a player like Wade, Lebron, Kobe, etc. Joe isn't that kind of player, end of story. You can't get a player like the Lebrons and Kobes by trading Joe. Joe is a poor mans version of them. We need to be satisfied with that. He is still a player that we can build around. For those who do want Joe Johnson traded, please give us some names on who you want to be the leader and please make the trades realistic. (We all know Lebron, Kobe, Anthony, Bosh, Howard, etc. are not gonna be traded.)

You can say that Joe Johnson is soft, not fast, but the fact of the matter is....Joe Johnson has helped and turned this franchise around. He has helped our team win more games than he has lose games. He may not be a STAR player but he is one of the best scorers, he just doesn't get the opportunity to show it every night with the amount of pressure he has every game. Don't you guys remember Game 4 of the playoffs last year?

Also, how many people here actually think that this thread would have been made if the Hawks won tonight?

We should remember that while JJ provided a few memorable moments in that game, his overall play was far from impressive. I don't bring it up often though because alot of players are going to struggle against Boston in the playoffs. So far this is possibly JJ's worse season as a Hawk and the team is doing better than it has since he has been here. If JJ is worth keeping, he needs to go out there and prove it. It's been a while since he has been a big spark. The JJ of the second half of last season is nearly not tradeable taking everything into consideration, but that JJ hasn't shown up this year.

If he was shooting 20% and scoring 10PPG and turning the ball over 5 times a game you would still defend him.

No I wouldn't but the thing is he is not. He is not shooting the ball well right now but how many SG's can get 13 assists on a night when they are not shooting well. The one problem with Hawksquawk is after a loss it is the end of the world and the season is over. This isn't college football and they do play more than 10 games. Forget it and move on.

No I wouldn't but the thing is he is not. He is not shooting the ball well right now but how many SG's can get 13 assists on a night when they are not shooting well. The one problem with Hawksquawk is after a loss it is the end of the world and the season is over. This isn't college football and they do play more than 10 games. Forget it and move on.

When your the go to guy and you go 0-7 in the 4th and shoot as poorly as Joe did, it pretty much sticks out more than assists. Joe is not the PG. He is supposed to lead this team and be productive on the offensive end to help win the games. He is not doing that. The way he is playing, this numbers aren't out of the possibilities by the time the month is over.

The entire offense used to go through JJ, but now that Bibby is actually running an offense and getting others involed; IE see the thread on 'is SMoove back", JJ is not hogging the ball. Za is playing better too. Hopefully it will just take some adjustment for JJ. And for the most part we have played well with him doing less.

The dude has been rather unimpressive for the most part over the last season and a half. He should well the last couple of months of the season last year. Other than that, his offense hasn't been up to snuff. You can talk about assists all you want, but JJ gets paid to put points on the board and he supposed to be a good shooter. Yet, night in and night out he shoots 5-17 from the field. He has had some of the most awful shooting games this year.

He doesn't provide the leadership and he is an average defensive player at best. He has hit a few big shots, but too many nights he has come up short. Did he even score in the 2nd half against Phx? While Amare was scoring time and time again, JJ was doing nothing but doing his disappearing act. The dude CLEARLY peaked 2 seasons ago and seems to be playing worse and worse. There is no way they can afford to sign him to another big contract without trading him. He just isn't worth it.

yea i know JJ could be playing better and I know he doesnt look like an all star as of late but I think he will get out of this funk eventually. He is still our best player..he draws alot of attention. He is not shooting well. and a smart player who is struggling to shoot the ball well, usually would get to the basket and get to the line but JJ hasnt been doing that either. only thing he has been doing well is passing..he's been racking up assist. JJ is my fav player but if u can find a better player to trade for him somehow, im for it because it would probably make the team better. cant promise u that i wont be a fan of that team too tho lol but I still love JJ on this team and i wanna see him in a Hawks uniform

Edited by r3drumNYNJ

• Moderators

Joe is the only scorer on the court most of the time. That's why we started winning with Bibby is it added another offensive weapon. But when all your offense comes from your backcourt and you don't have to guard much inside then playing defense against us is a lot easier. When Bibby is off you just guard JJ.

• Premium Member
Joe is the only scorer on the court most of the time. That's why we started winning with Bibby is it added another offensive weapon. But when all your offense comes from your backcourt and you don't have to guard much inside then playing defense against us is a lot easier. When Bibby is off you just guard JJ.

that's why I put 95% of the blame on Bibby. He has to do a better job of getting other guys easy shots.