• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2010: The Destruction of the NBA

Wurider05

I keep reading how half the league is positioning themselves to become big spenders in the 2010 free agency market. Everyone is making room and moves to be in position to sign the big 4 free agents. Most teams are going to have alot of money to spend and the big 4 will be gone. 2 and 3 tier players (scrubs) are going to get huge contracts and then teams are going to realize they blew their money (ie Dampier, kenyon Martin, Speedy type deals) when the players don't deliver. My point is that JJ will probably get a huge offer I am talking Elton Brand money. I think that the decision on JJ may need to be made this season. We got Marv, Horf, and Smoove and possibly Acie to pay. Man the league will go to the dogs after that season!!!

• Premium Member
I keep reading how half the league is positioning themselves to become big spenders in the 2010 free agency market. Everyone is making room and moves to be in position to sign the big 4 free agents. Most teams are going to have alot of money to spend and the big 4 will be gone. 2 and 3 tier players (scrubs) are going to get huge contracts and then teams are going to realize they blew their money (ie Dampier, kenyon Martin, Speedy type deals) when the players don't deliver. My point is that JJ will probably get a huge offer I am talking Elton Brand money. I think that the decision on JJ may need to be made this season. We got Marv, Horf, and Smoove and possibly Acie to pay. Man the league will go to the dogs after that season!!!

JJ is already making Brand type money

yes, a lot of teams will overpay. However, it wont be a big deal, or anything we haven't seen before. We just have to remember 2000, when Jason Kidd, Tim Duncan, Grant Hill, Tracy McGrady and others were free agents. Some, like Austin Croshere, were ridiculously overpaid. Others werent... every once in a while we get stuff like this.

The smart teams will not overpay for 3rd tier players. As long as the Hawks resign JJ I really don't care what the rest of the NBA does. This, of course, assumes we are neck deep in an economic depression...

I would be sstunned if Acie were in that group. He needs a total makeover if he is going to step up and contribute. He got exposed the other night.

But I think your point is well taken and the ASG with their lawsuit is going to be in a tough position to hang in there.

LMAO dumb,just dumb.

• Moderators

What does it mean to be "overpaid" here? Remember, that the max salary provisions of the CBA are not in there to make sure that second tier stars (like JJ) don't get their fair market value for salary. It is in there to ensure that the elite players in the league are underpaid compared to the salary they would get in an open market.

So if Lebron is earning $16M/yr then it doesn't make JJ overpaid if he also earns $16M/yr. It means that Lebron is underpaid and JJ is probably much closer to earning a salary consistent with his free market value.

What does it mean to be "overpaid" here? Remember, that the max salary provisions of the CBA are not in there to make sure that second tier stars (like JJ) don't get their fair market value for salary. It is in there to ensure that the elite players in the league are underpaid compared to the salary they would get in an open market.

So if Lebron is earning $16M/yr then it doesn't make JJ overpaid if he also earns $16M/yr. It means that Lebron is underpaid and JJ is probably much closer to earning a salary consistent with his free market value.

Very true. Can you imagine how much LeBron and Kobe would command if not for the max salary provisions of the CBA?

The way the current system is set up, JJ is a max player. He is not as good as LeBron or Kobe but he is a perrennial All Star caliber player and he will be compensated as such.