• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Excellent opportunity for improvement

Johnnybravo4

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3895600

JT breaking his hand means that Dallas is in need of a PG. We can send Acie Law back to Texas in exchange for Brandon Bass.

Bass would give us the backup big we need in order to make a serious playoff push. Simple move which could pay big dividends.

Edit: To make it work capwise we need to throw in stiffs and picks so

Acie Law

2nd Rd pick

Brandon Bass

James Singleton

Edited by Johnnybravo4

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3895600

JT breaking his hand means that Dallas is in need of a PG. We can send Acie Law back to Texas in exchange for Brandon Bass.

Bass would give us the backup big we need in order to make a serious playoff push. Simple move which could pay big dividends.

Edit: To make it work capwise we need to throw in stiffs and picks so

Acie Law

2nd Rd pick

Brandon Bass

James Singleton

Teams don't trade bigs for mediocre PG's.

The only time Ive ever seen a big traded for a PG was Juwan Howard for Mike James a couple summers ago

Yall act like trades are 100% logical. I mean Charlotte just traded a former #3 overall for Radmonavich. Dallas has more bigmen than they have guards. Without JT they would have to play JJ Barea and Jason Kidd in the backcourt for stretches, which would be insane. Acie Law would give them size and speed in the backcourt when Kidd is not on the floor. I think that Law would flourish in an offense with Dirk. I also think that Dallas would give him opportunities that Woody isn't willing to give him here. Since Dallas has a surplus of big bodies, Bass is expendable.

• Premium Member
Yall act like trades are 100% logical. I mean Charlotte just traded a former #3 overall for Radmonavich. Dallas has more bigmen than they have guards. Without JT they would have to play JJ Barea and Jason Kidd in the backcourt for stretches, which would be insane. Acie Law would give them size and speed in the backcourt when Kidd is not on the floor. I think that Law would flourish in an offense with Dirk. I also think that Dallas would give him opportunities that Woody isn't willing to give him here. Since Dallas has a surplus of big bodies, Bass is expendable.

Well, the truth is that Dallas will miss JT's production but they would not so easily trade for another young PG. They're more likely to pick up a SG from either trade or NBADL. Like you mentioned, they have Kidd and Barea. Hell, Barea is doing good. However, if they want to take some pressure off, they can go after a SG or develop Matty Carrol and Gerald Green.

The other thing is that Bass is only 6'8 maybe shorter than that. He uses his girth well, but he wouldn't help our roster that much. Our need for a big is simply to have somebody taller than 6'9 on the court playing defense (in our system).

I'd love to see it happen, but not after this:

First start rough for Law

Delivery failure: Backup point guard takes heat after a terrible loss to the Clippers.

By Sekou Smith

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Acie Law IV’s breakout moment this season didn’t exactly go as planned.

Mike Bibby was on the bench, injured for the first time this year. Law, the Hawks’ backup point guard, was poised to finally show himself capable of running the team in Bibby’s absence.

Instead, the Hawks were humbled by 24 points by the Los Angeles Clippers at home, a perfect storm of events that turned Law’s big night upside down.

The Hawks face a dilemma. If Bibby can’t play, can Law be ready when he hasn’t been playing significant minutes?

“It’s frustrating,” Law said. “You don’t play the whole year and people tell you to be patient and to keep working hard and wait your turn, and then the one chance you get, the Clippers come out and hit every shot they throw up. I mean, they don’t miss.

“Joe [Johnson] is sick, Al [Horford] is coming off a long layoff from his injury. The team’s not at full strength, and it’s a bad showing. So you’re sitting here now wondering, ‘Where do we go from here?’”

Now that the Hawks know what it’s like without Bibby, Law’s question is in need of an answer.

It might not come tonight against Washington at Philips Arena as Hawks coach Mike Woodson said Bibby “might play” after his sprained left foot kept him out Saturday.

“Listen, I came into this season and I told everybody that nobody’s minutes are guaranteed,” Woodson said. “What minutes you get, you make the most of them. But you better be ready to play because you just never know when you’re going to be called upon. And that’s any team, I don’t care who it is. You just can’t play 12 guys consistently.”

Law, a former lottery pick from Texas A&M, has missed four games this season due to injuries and family matters. He hasn’t played in seven others because of a coach’s decision.

Still, injuries have forced the Hawks to go deeper into the rotation, with Law noticeably absent from that mix. He’s averaging 10.3 minutes in the 39 games he’s played, averaging 3.1 points and 1.5 assists.

He played a season-high 28 minutes against the Clippers, finishing with eight points, six assists and one turnover. Yet all that will be remembered is the way the 12-39 Clippers thumped the Hawks without Bibby.

In Acie’s defense, he hasn’t played and he’s not running the first team on a regular basis,” Woodson said. “But I can’t start two point guards. So at the end of the day, there really is no excuse. Acie was rusty. It happens. The bottom line is he has to be ready.”

The Hawks’ reserves have played far better than many expected this season. Atlanta has compiled a 17-13 record in games without Johnson, Horford, Josh Smith and Marvin Williams.

They’re 9-1 with backup swingman Mo Evans in the starting lineup. Evans and Flip Murray are the only players on the roster who have played in all 50 games.

It’s not like their reserves aren’t capable. Johnson insists there’s just something about the point guard position that makes it tougher on the backup than any other in basketball. He would know, having filled in for two-time league MVP Steve Nash when the two played together in Phoenix.

“Acie has a lot more room to grow,” Johnson said. “He’s only in his second year. And the fact is he’s behind a great point guard in Mike, so he needs to learn what he can from him while still being true to his own game.

“What he can’t do is worry about how Mike does things and how Mike runs the team. Acie has to do it his own way when he’s out there, because we have to establish some kind of flow and continuity when Acie is on the floor and roll with that.”

NEXT FOR HAWKS

> vs. Wizards, 7 p.m. today; 790 AM

In Acie’s defense, he hasn’t played and he’s not running the first team on a regular basis,” Woodson said. “But I can’t start two point guards. So at the end of the day, there really is no excuse. Acie was rusty. It happens. The bottom line is he has to be ready.”

Woodson has the worst case of foot in mouth disease I have seen recently. I don't know if he's done an interview all season without saying something contradictory. How is Acie supposed to be ready when he doesn't get consistant minutes?

Woodson just drives me nuts.

:computer8:

• Moderators
Woodson has the worst case of foot in mouth disease I have seen recently. I don't know if he's done an interview all season without saying something contradictory. How is Acie supposed to be ready when he doesn't get consistant minutes?

Woodson just drives me nuts.

:computer8:

I just can't believe the things he says either. This whole concept of you better be ready when you get your chance works great if you have 10 year vets on your bench. If you have guys who've barely been in an nba game its just a joke. Especially for a point guard. And this whole 'i can't start two point guards'. No. but you can play two. Maybe give Acie some burn with the 1st unit once in a while.

I'd love to see it happen, but not after this:

First start rough for Law

Delivery failure: Backup point guard takes heat after a terrible loss to the Clippers.

By Sekou Smith

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Acie Law IV’s breakout moment this season didn’t exactly go as planned.

Mike Bibby was on the bench, injured for the first time this year. Law, the Hawks’ backup point guard, was poised to finally show himself capable of running the team in Bibby’s absence.

Instead, the Hawks were humbled by 24 points by the Los Angeles Clippers at home, a perfect storm of events that turned Law’s big night upside down.

The Hawks face a dilemma. If Bibby can’t play, can Law be ready when he hasn’t been playing significant minutes?

“It’s frustrating,” Law said. “You don’t play the whole year and people tell you to be patient and to keep working hard and wait your turn, and then the one chance you get, the Clippers come out and hit every shot they throw up. I mean, they don’t miss.

“Joe [Johnson] is sick, Al [Horford] is coming off a long layoff from his injury. The team’s not at full strength, and it’s a bad showing. So you’re sitting here now wondering, ‘Where do we go from here?’”

Now that the Hawks know what it’s like without Bibby, Law’s question is in need of an answer.

It might not come tonight against Washington at Philips Arena as Hawks coach Mike Woodson said Bibby “might play” after his sprained left foot kept him out Saturday.

“Listen, I came into this season and I told everybody that nobody’s minutes are guaranteed,” Woodson said. “What minutes you get, you make the most of them. But you better be ready to play because you just never know when you’re going to be called upon. And that’s any team, I don’t care who it is. You just can’t play 12 guys consistently.”

Law, a former lottery pick from Texas A&M, has missed four games this season due to injuries and family matters. He hasn’t played in seven others because of a coach’s decision.

Still, injuries have forced the Hawks to go deeper into the rotation, with Law noticeably absent from that mix. He’s averaging 10.3 minutes in the 39 games he’s played, averaging 3.1 points and 1.5 assists.

He played a season-high 28 minutes against the Clippers, finishing with eight points, six assists and one turnover. Yet all that will be remembered is the way the 12-39 Clippers thumped the Hawks without Bibby.

The Hawks’ reserves have played far better than many expected this season. Atlanta has compiled a 17-13 record in games without Johnson, Horford, Josh Smith and Marvin Williams.

They’re 9-1 with backup swingman Mo Evans in the starting lineup. Evans and Flip Murray are the only players on the roster who have played in all 50 games.

It’s not like their reserves aren’t capable. Johnson insists there’s just something about the point guard position that makes it tougher on the backup than any other in basketball. He would know, having filled in for two-time league MVP Steve Nash when the two played together in Phoenix.

“Acie has a lot more room to grow,” Johnson said. “He’s only in his second year. And the fact is he’s behind a great point guard in Mike, so he needs to learn what he can from him while still being true to his own game.

“What he can’t do is worry about how Mike does things and how Mike runs the team. Acie has to do it his own way when he’s out there, because we have to establish some kind of flow and continuity when Acie is on the floor and roll with that.”

NEXT FOR HAWKS

> vs. Wizards, 7 p.m. today; 790 AM

Ridiculous to see that last loss pinned on Acie like that. Was I the only one to notice he had the best +/- in the game for the Hawks? I didn't even watch the game, but it would certainly appear that the team fell apart when Flip was in.

Ridiculous to see that last loss pinned on Acie like that. Was I the only one to notice he had the best +/- in the game for the Hawks? I didn't even watch the game, but it would certainly appear that the team fell apart when Flip was in.

yes that is what happened. Especially in the 2nd half. Acie started the 2nd half with a lay-up. The team started off on fire. We were of course playing bad defense but we were scoring on almost every possession matching the Clippers. The lead was within 10 at that time. Then Flip came in for Acie and the Clippers started running away with it.