• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Marvin Williams

Frenzy

Marvin's numbers are basically the same as last season but it's obvious he's improved.

He just needs to become more consistent and aggressive before I anoint him as "the future".

I agree, perfect example why stats are overrated.. Marvin is taking 1.5 less shots this year than he did last year instead of taking more... Woody needs to get him involved even more..

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Premium Member
Marvin has had a number of games he's strung together good performances this season, as well as the past two seasons.

I'm not sure why people who watch the Hawks makes it appear as though Marvin has never had good games in the past!

• Premium Member
I agree, perfect example why stats are overrated.. Marvin is taking 1.5 less shots this year than he did last year instead of taking more... Woody needs to get him involved even more..

It's a good example of why box score stats are overrated, but anyone who uses anything more than points, rebounds, and FG% would have noticed Marvin's success a long time ago.

For example:

His PER is closing in on 16 (as opposed to 14ish last year and 12 the years before)

His TS% is way up

His eFG% is way up

His usage % is down

His PF's are down

His ORtg is WAY up

I love how everyone has ripped on this guy the past two years and now he is really starting to play pretty nicely. Two words.... CONTRACT YEAR

I tend to agree with you frank...but it's hard to figure out. I don't think Marvin is a lazy guy who just played the system. He wasn't as aggressive as we hoped early, but he seems to have played the role early....and has always put in the effort on the defensive end. It doesn't make sense.

I go back to coaching - where I feel this team is sorely lacking. Add to that a GM (BK) who simply picked a young 6th man from UNC too early. Marvin can do well against Washington - let's see him show out against Boston. I'm not sure but with the contract coming up I think we have to make the decision that we have talked about before. What kind of team are we gonna be? Slow offense or fast offense - either way we need a new coach - but the decision will be - (get a center and) - keep Marvin or keep JS. We have our PF from Florida.

I tend to agree with you frank...but it's hard to figure out. I don't think Marvin is a lazy guy who just played the system. He wasn't as aggressive as we hoped early, but he seems to have played the role early....and has always put in the effort on the defensive end. It doesn't make sense.

I go back to coaching - where I feel this team is sorely lacking. Add to that a GM (BK) who simply picked a young 6th man from UNC too early. Marvin can do well against Washington - let's see him show out against Boston.

Marvin was 4-4 from 3 in Boston, hitting what looked like the game winner with a few seconds left. He had 16/8 against Boston in Atlanta, shooting 50%.

He also dropped 31 on Denver (who is 18 games over .500) just a few days ago.

MW is taking and making substantially more 3s than last year but is averaging less ppg. Now his recent play has everyone in an uproar as it should, so that tells me hes been basically playing to his average until the past couple of weeks... Now the team needs him to keep up his play for a mad March so his consistency will be tested.

MW

PPG

RPG

APG

SPG

BPG

FG%

FT%

3P%

MPG

????, ?????

PPG

RPG

APG

SPG

BPG

FG%

FT%

3P%

MPG

Just saying...

agree to disagree.

not to say that he can't make it a pattern on his own. but nothing over three years has shown that he is a dominate personality. i don't think it took josh's struggles to make him realize he was better or worse, should shoot more or less.

i don't want to lose him either.

i just don't think you can say, randomly in feb/march the light came on.

his skills have been a slow, good development, it would be surprising if his personality changed at a rapid pace.

I think Marvin is developing into a terrific player. He is not the Alpha Dog that Durant or Chris Paul are but he is starting to consistently display a well-rounded game that validates the reason so many scouts (including BK) fell in love with him before the '05 draft. Marvin is starting to show more than flashes of good play and he is showing that he can be an integral part of this team going forward. He will never be Chris Paul (there is only one of those) but he is showing that those who said we won't know what we have in him for 3 or 4 years were far closer to being right than those who called him a bust early on.

What I would like to see from Marvin going forward (in addition to the continued offensive aggression) is for him to take on more of a vocal leadership role in the locker room. I think that either he or Horford (and maybe both of them) are going to have to take on more of that role eventually assuming that the core group stays together. If we keep Bibby, I think he is a solid vocal leader but we need one (or two) of the younger guys to step up and assume that role as well. Whoever does it needs to be able to tell JJ when he is not doing something right just as quicky as they would tell Acie. The person also needs to be able to talk to Smoove and deal with his volatile personality in a way that does not alienate him from the team.

• Premium Member

It's great to see everybody get excited about Marvin's play against the Wizards. I mean, historically, Marvin always does well against the Wiz and the Knicks... so go figure. However, what will he do versus the Cleveland Cavs.... or the Lakers when we need him to be an offensive player?

Boy, I sure do hope we can get the Wizards in the first round of the playoffs!

It's great to see everybody get excited about Marvin's play against the Wizards. I mean, historically, Marvin always does well against the Wiz and the Knicks... so go figure. However, what will he do versus the Cleveland Cavs.... or the Lakers when we need him to be an offensive player?

Marvin is one of the few guys who can play Lebron man to man and actually slow him down. Marvin also hit the key three pointer that could have easily won the game.

Marvin just dropped 31 in Denver on a team that is much better defensively than we are and is 18 games over .500. He also stepped up big when JJ was out.

Last nights game would have been a tight one if Marvin hadn't gone off.

You are such a Marvin hater. It probably kills you to see him balling this good. Marvin is a star in the making. Marvin has 4 years in the league and only 22 so this would be his second year in the NBA had he stayed in college.

If we dont resign him and making him a major part of the offense we are going to be in major trouble. But im sure we could trade him or let him go for a bum like Kaman.

• Premium Member
Marvin is one of the few guys who can play Lebron man to man and actually slow him down. Marvin also hit the key three pointer that could have easily won the game.

Marvin just dropped 31 in Denver on a team that is much better defensively than we are and is 18 games over .500. He also stepped up big when JJ was out.

Last nights game would have been a tight one if Marvin hadn't gone off.

I believe somebody said it before. You guys act as though Marvin did nothing in years previous.

Last Year at Denver.

20/6/1 on 44% shooting...

Versus Denver

19/9/4 on 67% shooting...

Maybe it the fact that Denver doesn't care to guard Marvin. Maybe he just has a matchup advantage.. but the Denver, Washington, and NY's of this world are Marvin's fishing hole. SO no, he didn't just recieve some type of Dr. J anointing and now he's a star. More than likely, by the time we play Charlotte, Marvin will be back to his old self... disappearing acts.

I find it funny that when Marvin totally disappears, you guys who start these Marvin praisefest post are silent?

• Premium Member
You are such a Marvin hater. It probably kills you to see him balling this good. Marvin is a star in the making. Marvin has 4 years in the league and only 22 so this would be his second year in the NBA had he stayed in college.

If we dont resign him and making him a major part of the offense we are going to be in major trouble. But im sure we could trade him or let him go for a bum like Kaman.

Marvin represents everything wrong with our team. A guy who has all the potential in the world and plays randomly. Think about it... We have Marvin and Smoove.... both could be world beaters. Both are sometimy random players.

Moreover, You guys protect these guys as if they are rare commodities. I guarantee you, if Marvin played for Toronto right now, none of you would be crying for him saying we need to try to trade for this guy!! There may be one of you who would be the biggest UNC fan on the board who might say, that's guy is good... but for the most part, you would treat Marvin like we treat McCants.

So please call me a Marvin hater... At least I'm not being fake about what I see and have evaluated. Also remember, this is a contract year.

Marvin represents everything wrong with our team. A guy who has all the potential in the world and plays randomly. Think about it... We have Marvin and Smoove.... both could be world beaters. Both are sometimy random players.

Moreover, You guys protect these guys as if they are rare commodities. I guarantee you, if Marvin played for Toronto right now, none of you would be crying for him saying we need to try to trade for this guy!! There may be one of you who would be the biggest UNC fan on the board who might say, that's guy is good... but for the most part, you would treat Marvin like we treat McCants.

So please call me a Marvin hater... At least I'm not being fake about what I see and have evaluated. Also remember, this is a contract year.

listen Diesel.

Marvin is the future!!!!

and i hope you said the same thing about Smoove last year too about being in a contract year.

• Premium Member
listen Diesel.

Marvin is the future!!!!

and i hope you said the same thing about Smoove last year too about being in a contract year.

From the looks of it, Smoove got us. (Period). He hasn't blocked 2 shots in a game in a while. His rebounding and FT% is down. The best thing about Smoove right now is that Woody benches him when he doesn't try to score inside.

So to give you a full response, we should have said the same about Smoove in his contract year, but his consistency fooled us. I mean, Smoove didn't nothing unlike what he had done before. It wasn't the Al Henderson jump in performance that we are seeing from Marvin.

Ummm, Josh Smith has never been consistent.

The only areas Marvin hasn't been consistent in are aggressiveness and perimeter shooting.

So in other words Marvin is extremely inconsistent. When you put up 30 one game and the next game only attempt 8 shots in 35 minutes, that's the definition of inconsistency. Let's hope Marvin keeps playing this way.

Marvin represents everything wrong with our team? Yeah, we sure don't want guys who work hard in the off season to improve their biggest weaknesses (3 pt shooting and physical strength). We definitely don't want guys who listen to their coaches. We don't want guys with no ego who put the team first ahead of their own personal glory. We don't want guys who represent the team well both on and off the court. We certainly don't want guys like that.

Let's go get us a bunch of guys who come back with the same weaknesses every year, who blame the coaches for all of their shortcomings, who want to be the star without putting in the work and who get into trouble off the court. Yeah, those are the kinds of guys we want.

• Premium Member
So in other words Marvin is extremely inconsistent.

In other words, no.

Marvin is inconsistent in two areas - perimeter shooting and aggressiveness. He's been very consistent over the past 1.5 years as a rebounder (at the SF spot), defender, and jump shooter. Just because a guy has a great game once in a while doesn't make him inconsistent.

With Smith, you never know what to expect in terms of perimeter or interior scoring, rebounding, or man defense.