• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Sekou misleading the fans

Diesel

• Premium Member

From today's story on Marvin Williams head of draft class...

While some of the other members of that 2005 draft class moved into starting roles immediately, Williams had to ease into his role with the Hawks.

Al Harrington was a captain and starter at small forward during his rookie season, meaning Williams had to settle for a reserve role while Paul, Williams, Granger and Ellis were barging their way into the limelight as starters."

Checked the numbers on Granger...

Started 17 games. Played 22.6 mpg as a rookie.

Then Checked the numbers for Marvin...

Started 7 games. Played 24.7 mpg as a rookie.

So while Marvin may not have gotten the same number of Starts as Granger, he played many more Minutes than Granger did.

1952 vs. 1765

• Premium Member
Wow this is almost as big as watergate!

Well Companyman,

I think that you should consider the misleading that going on . He wants you to think that Marvin was in a hole while these other guys were averaging 40 mpg. That's far from the truth.

Well Companyman,

I think that you should consider the misleading that going on . He wants you to think that Marvin was in a hole while these other guys were averaging 40 mpg. That's far from the truth.

Are you that blinded against Marvin? The ral story is how Sekou is just a terrible writer... and researcher. This is just another example of why you should pay him no attention. The words he says are worthless because he doesn't have a clue what he's talking about, as you've just described.

• Premium Member
Are you that blinded against Marvin? The ral story is how Sekou is just a terrible writer... and researcher. This is just another example of why you should pay him no attention. The words he says are worthless because he doesn't have a clue what he's talking about, as you've just described.

My point exactly. It took me all of 3 minutes to look up the numbers and see that Marvin played more rookie minutes than Granger. I don't think Sekou did his article in a closet. I think he purposely ignored the minutes in leiu of the starts because he thought that he could say it and not be called. But the truth is that when he played for us, Royal Ivey started damn near 82 games per season... does that mean he jumped out ahead of those guys who he was drafted with?

Well Companyman,

I'm a company man because I'm not making a mountain out of a mole hill? Go back and read what Sekou wrote, he said that Marvin had to settle for a "reserve" role. Now, what does "reserve" mean in the NBA? It means that he's a non-starter, correct? And then he showed that Granger started more games, correct? So where's the conspiracy here?

I'm a company man because I'm not making a mountain out of a mole hill? Go back and read what Sekou wrote, he said that Marvin had to settle for a "reserve" role. Now, what does "reserve" mean in the NBA? It means that he's a non-starter, correct? And then he showed that Granger started more games, correct? So where's the conspiracy here?

It's definitely misleading. 17 games started compared with 7 is not a big difference in an 82 game season. Bottom line is that that neither started more than 20% of the games, both were primarily bench players that played a similar amount of minutes.

Granger also has 4 years of college too.

How come people are not happy that Marvin is comming into his own. So what if he wasn't an impact player his first 3 years. Its not like it wouldve changed the outcome of our seasons back then. We should be happy that he is balling now while Smoove is slumping and hope that he maintains this level of play with Smoove comes out of his slump.

I mean really, who cares about an article in the paper. Its minor. He is just trying to make Marvin look good. I guess im just a homer.

• Moderators
From today's story on Marvin Williams head of draft class...

Checked the numbers on Granger...

Started 17 games. Played 22.6 mpg as a rookie.

Then Checked the numbers for Marvin...

Started 7 games. Played 24.7 mpg as a rookie.

So while Marvin may not have gotten the same number of Starts as Granger, he played many more Minutes than Granger did.

1952 vs. 1765

Actually that was my first reaction too. Marvin played a lot of minutes for a rookie. I don't remember Williams having that stellar of a rookie year. Its a fluff piece to showcase Marvin doing well which is fine. That sentence is kind of revisionist history but I think it was just to make Marvin look good for the sake of building interest in Hawks with the local fans. I don't think it was to make him look better than he is.

• Premium Member

How come people are not happy that Marvin is comming into his own. So what if he wasn't an impact player his first 3 years. Its not like it wouldve changed the outcome of our seasons back then. We should be happy that he is balling now while Smoove is slumping and hope that he maintains this level of play with Smoove comes out of his slump.

I mean really, who cares about an article in the paper. Its minor. He is just trying to make Marvin look good. I guess im just a homer.

This isn't really about Marvin so you can take your mancrush elsewhere. This is about how Sekou misleads the reader into making believe that Marvin's "coming into his own" was at some type of handicap that other players in the NBA who have come into their own 2-3 years ago didn't have. Marvin played more rookie minutes than Granger. Period. So instead of Sekou bring out his royal Ivey useless starts stats, he should just be more honest in his journalism.

Dol wants to argue definition. Dol, I'm arguing intent. The intent that your company compadre Sekou set out with was to mislead. It makes for easier reading when you can give a feel good story. You know?

Dol wants to argue definition. Dol, I'm arguing intent. The intent that your company compadre Sekou set out with was to mislead. It makes for easier reading when you can give a feel good story. You know?

You know I sure wish we were affiliated with the Hawks or the AJC but I'm sorry to break it to you that I'm no more connected to Sekou than you, perhaps even less. Moreover, what's wrong with a feel good story?

• Premium Member

Typical Atlanta fan. We go out our to turn any positive into a negative. Granger is the best player on a bad team and Marvin has never been more than the 3rd option on this team.

Typical Atlanta fan. We go out our to turn any positive into a negative. Granger is the best player on a bad team and Marvin has never been more than the 3rd option on this team.

How am i being negative? The only thing im negative about is Woody and ASG. I dont bash our own players.

• Premium Member
How am i being negative? The only thing im negative about is Woody and ASG. I dont bash our own players.

Not you but the original poster. I have trashed players but only when warranted. And as as today any criticism of Marvin is unwarranted.

Edited by NineOhTheRino

• Premium Member
Not you but the original poster. I have trashed players but only when warranted. And as as today any criticism of Marvin is unwarranted.

I think you both need to learn to read... or re-read. This is not a Marvin bash, this is a sekou bash. As the title to the thread reads, Sekou's misleading. No wonder you guys are so Marivn-defensive... you've probably been taking all this Sekou fluff as total truth.

• Premium Member
I think you both need to learn to read... or re-read. This is not a Marvin bash, this is a sekou bash. As the title to the thread reads, Sekou's misleading. No wonder you guys are so Marivn-defensive... you've probably been taking all this Sekou fluff as total truth.

Sekou is the real company man here. And I saw your point on Sekou the first time around but can you honestly say that you weren't trying to take a little shot at Marv. It's OK...I do the same with Bibby daily.

• Premium Member
Sekou is the real company man here. And I saw your point on Sekou the first time around but can you honestly say that you weren't trying to take a little shot at Marv. It's OK...I do the same with Bibby daily.

I come out of the age of Denberg, Viosin, and Pasquarelli. Atlanta was/is a 1 paper town but with what we had, I learned to appreciate some of the writing that came with good research and intention to tell the story. I don't jump on Sekou's case much because I understand that he has been given the Hawks ball and told to make something happen and bring fans to the website. It's all business. But as a fan who grew up with good research and fair intentions, I shutter when I see Sekou pulling a cheap shot on his readers. It would be like somebody saying well, the Atlanta Falcons were lead by QB Matt Ryan who showed that he can win games with his arm.

When the truth is that Ryan was a steady QB, but it was the Falcon's running game that setup every win we had.

Now, if I called out the writer for saying that Ryan won games with his arm... that doesn't mean I have a problem with Ryan.. nor does that mean that I'm hugging Micheal Turners nuts. It just means that I expect more from the writer. The same is true of Sekou. I expect more from him than this misleading journalism.