• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Bob Rathbun

RonMexico

Okay...I know we all love Bob Rathbun and I don't mean to drop the hammer but...

Have you ever noticed how he always seems to be brown-nosing the other team? If we're getting beat he freakin talks about how good the other team is. If we're winning he still talks about the other team. I know its not a huge deal and it's probably not as often as it seems i think i just notice it now. But he is always talking about the other team or the superstar on the other team. Has anyone else noticed this? and while we're at it I MISS STEVE SMITH!

I think Bob (as corny and lame as he can be at times) does a fine job. What I noticed today is that he sounds like a Lakers fan at heart. "YOU HAVE KOBE ON THE BREAK AND HE DOESN'T TOUCH THE BALL??? YOU GOTTA BE KIDDING ME!!!" Or whatever he said.

That was just Bob pointing out that the Lakers were playing some stupid basketball. Think about that: The Lakers have a 3 on one with Kobe involved, and Kobe didn't even sniff the ball. Made no sense at all.

I have heard him call countless games I can't think of any other time he criticized anyone like that.

Okay...I know we all love Bob Rathbun and I don't mean to drop the hammer but...

Have you ever noticed how he always seems to be brown-nosing the other team? If we're getting beat he freakin talks about how good the other team is. If we're winning he still talks about the other team. I know its not a huge deal and it's probably not as often as it seems i think i just notice it now. But he is always talking about the other team or the superstar on the other team. Has anyone else noticed this? and while we're at it I MISS STEVE SMITH!

Man that irks the hell out of me. Nique isn't too much better!

How can you bash Bob after that hilarious line about "all these people who can to worship at the alter of Kobe Bryant"

That was a great line ! Made me laugh too. I am also in total agreement with his thoughts on that subject. I was at the Lakers games the last two seasons so I know how true his statement is.

Rathburn is OK. Hollman is better and Nique is just awful. I wish they would get the "Stinger" back doing color.

I totally agree. The chemistry Glenn and Bob have together is perfect. You can tell their buddies off the court they get along so well calling games. Glenn's use of the English language in relation to basketball is as good as it gets. Nique struggles with his vocabulary while Stinger seems like a professinal speaker.

Smith left for national recognition on NBA TV. He will not be coming back. However, "The Stinger" could be had with a simple invite back to the color analyst position.

Aw, Shucks! Communication skills is simply, to me at least, being able to let the

listener / viewer know what's going on in the game.

Some announcers have the ability to make watching paint dry an exciting adventure.

Others, less talented, couldn't get anyone excited about watching the Titanic go down.

I did notice when I listened to the Celtic's announcers in our first meeting, Boston never,

ever committed a foul and all the fouls that the Hawks made were never called.

Listening to Bob Sunday against Kobie, Kobie, Kobie, I wondered if he had stolen a

page from their script or if the refs were really that bad. Once he said something like,

"I wonder if the officials got a memo that, if Atlanta won, there would be an investigation."

One official he kept reffering to as a big Kobie fan. Watching to see that no Hawk be

allowed to touch him.

Being limited to radio coverage, I have to wonder. Was it really that bad? Someone

who was there or had TV coverage, share your thoughts please.

Home town announcers should be somewhat homers. They are announcing for the

benefit of the fans of the home team. However, they should talk about the other team's

players and let us know who's in the game and who is doing what. Some announcers

are so bad that you can't determine who is on the floor for the Hawks. All they talk

about is the players on "their" team.

• Moderators

I only saw the second half and the officials didn't seem that bad. I was happy to see Kobe and Phil weren't really whining much in the second half.

I think Rathbun is a great announcer. By far my favorite. He's the best prepared of anyone I know plus the guy works 24/7. You turn on FSN and he'll be doing Lacross or women's soccer or college baseball. He's was really good on the Braves broadcasts he had.

Hey did anyone notice on the 15 second Hawks video/graphic thing they kept showing not only does it show a picture of Speedy with his name as a featured player but also Thomas Gardner? I kept trying to figure out who it was. How did he get added to the promo?

• Premium Member

Am I the only person who really appreciates Bob Rathbun? He's corny sometimes, but it's who he is and he has had great chemistry with every announcer he's worked with. Another thing that I appreciate about him is the fact that you can absolutely tell that he's pulling for the home team - but he's great at giving the opposing team their props. Even the teams that nobody cares about, he does his homework and he is good at being unbiased when it's appropriate.

I really like Bob and I wish they would pair him up with another great compliment - to that end, I really thought Steve Smith came around and made an AWESOME match. I could have listened to those guys for years :sad:

Anywho...no problems with Bob here whatsoever. Anyone else?