• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Goodbye Josh Smith

HamHawk

I've put this idea in other posts, but I figured it was topic worthy because it's madness. . . someone talk some sense into me please!!

Here's my logic on why we may need to think of saying goodbye to Josh Smith:

1) Hawks are getting dominated in the paint. The reason for this is that we don't have a true 5 playing under the bucket. I don't think anyone will disagree that Horford is undersized for the position and he lacks dominant post game.

2) We have two stud PF on our roster, Horford and Smith. Smith is an insane talent and an amazing athlete, and Horford hasn't come into his own yet but is showing immense potential and nothing but upside to his future.

3) True centers cost big bucks

4) THE BOTTOM LINE: We still have Horford cheap and Josh Smith is costing us $6 million more this year (and more money in years to come) than Al. If we rotate Al back to where he's comfortable (PF) and get a true center, we could compete in the paint and possibly make the step into the elite teams in the NBA.

We have a lot of talent in Atlanta, just not a true center. I know we could free up money for a big man when we drop Bibby off of our roster or at least get him paid what he's worth. . . about 6 or 7 million less a year. I would hate to see Josh go, but I think Al can hold up the PF position just fine and we could pay max money for a 5 with Josh's 10 million bucks.

Anybody want to talk some sense into me?? PLEASE!!! I'm just trying to find a way that we could afford to pay max for a 5 and that's the only way I can see we can free up money. . . . .to trade a talent and an athlete in Smith for a big.

Again, PLEASE HELP ME WITH MY INSANE MINDSET HERE! How can we pay for a dominant center???

I really hate the Horford PF argument. We've seen him play there a thousand times and he plays no better when he's at the position. The fact is that his offensive game as of right now is extremely limited and moving to the PF doesn't help him. If he improves, he'll do fine at C or PF.

Of course I'd love to have a great center, but WHO is going to trade a max center? The fact is that nobody is and Smith/Horford is our best option at the moment. I'd love to go after Bosh in a Smith or Horford package, though, but he's an FA next summer so that's extremely risky. Bottom line, if we trade Smith we better get a damn good player in return, not just somebody who's 7' tall.

Who is going to trade a Max Center?

That is a tough one. I was thinking Clippers since they have two quality centers, but Camby is ancient and Kaman is sitting on a nice long contract right now. We'd have to find a team that has a capable back up center and needs forward help. I'd have to research it.

The second option is to find a big man in the draft. That means passing on a guard in the first round to get Aldrich, Vesely (not good defender, but big upside), or possibly Jerome Jordan. Thabeet would be great, but he will never slip that far. Since there just aren't that many big men out there, we may need to think about doing that. If not, we could wait until the second round and if the big name defender centers are gone we pick up Miroslav Raduljica from the International league. At 7' 240 lbs and 21 years of age, he could be the defensive answer we need in the paint for future years. Those are big hopes, but it is possible. . .

Bottom line, if we can't make a move for a true C already in the NBA then we need to address this concern with the FIRST TWO ROUNDS of the draft. Benefit of drafting a C?? You can pay young players less, so we wouldn't have to hunt for money in the PF pool by saying goodbye to JS.

Who is going to trade a Max Center?

That is a tough one. I was thinking Clippers since they have two quality centers, but Camby is ancient and Kaman is sitting on a nice long contract right now. We'd have to find a team that has a capable back up center and needs forward help. I'd have to research it.

The second option is to find a big man in the draft. That means passing on a guard in the first round to get Aldrich, Vesely (not good defender, but big upside), or possibly Jerome Jordan. Thabeet would be great, but he will never slip that far. Since there just aren't that many big men out there, we may need to think about doing that. If not, we could wait until the second round and if the big name defender centers are gone we pick up Miroslav Raduljica from the International league. At 7' 240 lbs and 21 years of age, he could be the defensive answer we need in the paint for future years. Those are big hopes, but it is possible. . .

Bottom line, if we can't make a move for a true C already in the NBA then we need to address this concern with the FIRST TWO ROUNDS of the draft. Benefit of drafting a C?? You can pay young players less, so we wouldn't have to hunt for money in the PF pool by saying goodbye to JS.

As opposed to the third or fourth round??? :write a letter: ?????????? :cant believe:

Al/Josh will be a dominant pairing for years. There are hardly any centers I'd trade for Smoove.

I wouldn't trade him for Thabeet. I've been looking at this scenario for the past hour or so and really like the Marcin Gortat pitch (see the topic posted). I think we could slide to the third or POSSIBLY fourth round for a center, but it depends on who will be left at that point. I really like Miroslav Raduljica (from what I've read). A big, solid defender in the paint. That is exactly what he brings and that's what we need. If he's about to go in round 2, we have to get him (or whatever C) in round 2.

I like the option of Miroslav Raduljica . Don't know much about him but we have Za that can be his sidekick. Then we could get a pg in the first round. Never can pick up much in the third and forth rounds. ?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

A true center. . . hmmmmmm. I think it's a big man down low that doesn't get backed into the bucket on D. He might be able to be a presence that keeps teams from conducting layup drills all game long. He plays down low with moves that go TOWARDS the hoop, not spin off jumpers. That's what Atlanta really needs to fix our problems in the paint.

Would you want to trade him for Hasheem Thabeet?

All we need from the center position is interior defense and rebounding. I don't care that his not the best offensive center...we have plenty of guys to score.

Lol, sure let's trade our only threat to score inside and become even MORE perimeter oriented. Good idea.

HamHawk, you do realize that the NBA draft has only two rounds right?

HAHAHA Yes, I do . . . now. DJLaysitup sent me a kind reminder message. I have NFL drafting on the brain as of late and completely overlooked that. Thank you everyone for keeping eager learner of Hawks fans in check. =D

You just gotta love Hawks fans who think we are a Dalembert for Smoove transaction away from winning the title. Smoove is unappreciated in Atlanta the way Marion was unappreciated in Phoenix. Every failure in the postseason was blamed on Marion and not the lack of any defensive scheme whatsoever. They trade Marion for a "true center" in Shaq and where are they now? Out of the playoffs.

If we really want to make a move for a big man then Marvin is the piece. He is a more skilled player than Josh Smith and thus his upside is more marketable than Josh. I believe that in Portland Lamarcus Aldridge and Greg Oden won't be able to coexist. L.A. is better suited for the five because his ability to shoot outside and his quickness makes him a matchup nightmare for 5's. He could be a good 4 too, but I think his game would suffer in Portlands attempt to make Oden a more offensive player.

I think Portland also needs another pure scorer to complement Roy and I think Marvin's game would be a perfect fit. You sign and Trade Marvin and our first this year and I think you could get Aldridge.

Not unappreciated at all. . . . I was more thinking giving up something of great value for another piece of great value we desperately need. I think, upon reevaluating our position, that we can address these issues in the draft. True, many Cs end up being busts especially later on, but some turn out to be great. Remember Laimbeer?? Not at all saying there's another Bill out there this year, but who's to say there's not?

My take - Horford and Smith are not a great combination when playing together, so a trade will have to happen...

...just not right now.

Am I an idiot to suggest that they could split time to keep a fresh talented PF in all game until we figure out what to do with Smoove? I think it would work nicely that way, but that's a lot of money out there for splitting time is the only thing. . .