• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Jon Barry responds to Woodson

PureGreatness

Jon Barry has fired back at Hawks coach Mike Woodson, defending his prediction that Cleveland could sweep Atlanta in their second-round series.

"That's alright. If he wants to make a personal attack about what I've done in the league that's fine," Barry said on 790 the Zone in Atlanta. "I'm not in the league anymore. That's my job. I get paid to not be on the fence and express my opinion on what I think is going to happen. This is no personal attack on Mike Woodson, on any of these Hawks players ... I think they're a young, up and coming team, whatever. That's just all I'm picking. I'm not attacking anyone personally. If they play the way they played against the Miami Heat, they are not going to be able to win a game in this series."

On Monday morning, Woodson slammed Barry on the same station.

"Man, I could care less about what Jon Barry is saying. That's why he's doing what he's doing and we're doing what we're doing," Woodson said. "What he says don't amount to nothing. Again, I don't even know why I've wasted my words on Jon Barry."

http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/589...wasnt_personal/

Jon Barry has fired back at Hawks coach Mike Woodson, defending his prediction that Cleveland could sweep Atlanta in their second-round series.

"That's alright. If he wants to make a personal attack about what I've done in the league that's fine," Barry said on 790 the Zone in Atlanta. "I'm not in the league anymore. That's my job. I get paid to not be on the fence and express my opinion on what I think is going to happen. This is no personal attack on Mike Woodson, on any of these Hawks players ... I think they're a young, up and coming team, whatever. That's just all I'm picking. I'm not attacking anyone personally. If they play the way they played against the Miami Heat, they are not going to be able to win a game in this series."

On Monday morning, Woodson slammed Barry on the same station.

"Man, I could care less about what Jon Barry is saying. That's why he's doing what he's doing and we're doing what we're doing," Woodson said. "What he says don't amount to nothing. Again, I don't even know why I've wasted my words on Jon Barry."

http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/589...wasnt_personal/

Funny stuff.

Funny stuff.

Really, it's quite pathetic. The reason he's doing what he's doing is because his opinion on the game of basketball is actually worth being paid for. Mike Woodson is just clueless and increasingly classless.

"What he say don't amount to nothing?" You don't have to be a Mensa member to be a coach, but I mean, come on. I'm sorry but a professional coach should speak better than that in a public forum.

He's actually right, though. It don't amount to nothing.

Edited by TroyMcClure

"What he say don't amount to nothing?" You don't have to be a Mensa member to be a coach, but I mean, come on. I'm sorry but a professional coach should speak better than that in a public forum.

there has to be more to it than what we are hearing. it IS personal and unlike both of them.

meanwhile...hooked on 'bonics worked fo' me.

Really, it's quite pathetic. The reason he's doing what he's doing is because his opinion on the game of basketball is actually worth being paid for. Mike Woodson is just clueless and increasingly classless.

Ummm double standard? Isn't Mike Woodson is being paid to do what he's doing? And when (outside of this incident) has he ever been classless? There are lots of things that you can say about Mike Woodson but classless it not one of them.

I agree with some of the others, there has to be more to this than we're aware of.

Woodson is a douche. Most of his own fanbase is predicting 4 or 5 games for good reason.

I believe that is because Cavs are the better team and probably the best in the NBA. Replace Woody and the Coach of the Year Mike Brown and we still dont beat these guys. You guys would blame anything on Woody lol Our guys dont play good enough on the road

I believe that is because Cavs are the better team and probably the best in the NBA. Replace Woody and the Coach of the Year Mike Brown and we still dont beat these guys. You guys would blame anything on Woody lol Our guys dont play good enough on the road

Brown isnt actually much better of a coach than Woody, he just has LBJ.

Woody should be sacked for a number of reasons, but his public speaking skills are not among them. There have been plenty of coaches that could barely construct a complete sentence throughout the annals of sports; what counts is performance.

Edited by jhay610

• Premium Member

Barry made it personal first. His comments were totally unprofessional.

Barry made it personal first. His comments were totally unprofessional.

Why in the world does Jon Barry has a job? the guy has 0 personality. He sits behind me in church but I still think he is lame as a commentator. Personality sure would be nice.

On the other hand, I think he is right, if I had to put money on it, I would guess Cavs in 4, maybe 5.

Hawk88

Exactly! There isn't a coach in the history of the NBA that could take these Hawks and beat those Cavs this year. When they have 5 former starters coming off the bench and are coming off of 8 days of rest while we're on a day of rest after a brutal series I'm actually surprised that we hung in as long as we did. We'll be lucky to win a game against the Cavs but I don't feel bad since I don't think any team in the league will win more than 2 at best against them.

• Moderators

A totally healthy Hawks team could be competitive but would still be outmatched against CLE, IMO. A Hawks team with Marvin and Horford hobbled is just totally outmanned - especially when JJ doesn't elevate his game.

Exactly! There isn't a coach in the history of the NBA that could take these Hawks and beat those Cavs this year. When they have 5 former starters coming off the bench and are coming off of 8 days of rest while we're on a day of rest after a brutal series I'm actually surprised that we hung in as long as we did. We'll be lucky to win a game against the Cavs but I don't feel bad since I don't think any team in the league will win more than 2 at best against them.

Statements like these are classic Woodson defenses. Of course we aren't a better team than them, that's not the point of wanting Woodson gone at all. It's how we play the game, how sloppy our offense is and how it hasn't changed in 5 years. Who cares if Phil Jackson couldn't lead this team over the Cavs. The fact is that we should be better and play better.

Statements like these are classic Woodson defenses. Of course we aren't a better team than them, that's not the point of wanting Woodson gone at all. It's how we play the game, how sloppy our offense is and how it hasn't changed in 5 years. Who cares if Phil Jackson couldn't lead this team over the Cavs. The fact is that we should be better and play better.

Who said we shouldn't be better or play better? Not me that's for sure. In fact I don't remember at any time posting that we couldn't and shouldn't be better, so what's your point?

Why in the world does Jon Barry has a job? the guy has 0 personality. He sits behind me in church but I still think he is lame as a commentator. Personality sure would be nice.

On the other hand, I think he is right, if I had to put money on it, I would guess Cavs in 4, maybe 5.

Hawk88

Jon Barry couldn't be any worse as a head coach than Woody. I'd certainly prefer him over Woody.

Edited by Watchman