• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Atlanta's youth movement needs re-evaluation, bold changes

HAWKS1986

There is a big-time void at the small forward position and it has to be addressed. Additionally, the Hawks desperately need guard(s) who can run a team, but is able to break down defenses , create offense and shoot with confidence. The Hawks may be able to find someone such as Ty Lawson, Stephen Curry or Tyreke Evans, but the Hawks can't go another year without developing a young guard or two.

We may have to start over.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Great, just blame Marvin, great thread buddy.

Great, just blame Marvin, great thread buddy.

Marvin's a significant start. The Hawks need to find a franchise small forward who can have a legitimate impact on a game.

I would like to Acie succeed, but if Woodson stays, the Hawks either have to get Ben Gordon through free agency and/or draft a point guard who can impact games in his first year.

Marvin's a significant start. The Hawks need to find a franchise small forward who can have a legitimate impact on a game.

I would like to Acie succeed, but if Woodson stays, the Hawks either have to get Ben Gordon through free agency and/or draft a point guard who can impact games in his first year.

that point guard wouldn't impact games in his first year because woodson will do to him what he did to Acie.

franchise players are everywhere. Let go pick one up in the offseason :tease:

So the majority of the team has been in the league for 5 years or less, and you say blow it up.

Change the coaches, no need to break up what we have now.

If Woodson isn't fired, significant changes have to be made...

I WANT WOODY GONE, but he may stay.

I don't know enough about the hawks to know if its the coach or the players, but one thing that amazes me is the inconsistency with the hawks, which is directly related to energy.

As a celtics fan, Ive had 11 games to watch this. Last year the difference in energy between the home games and the away games was astounding, and this year the hawks brought it for 3 of the 4 games. I mean, its the same players, its the same coach, its the same opponent. How can it be that on some games you will have Josh Smith catching up to even a speedster like Rondo on a breakaway to block shots to the point where rondo was always looking over his shoulder, to others where no one would even try to catch him to foul him? On some games the hawks D would ride some of the celtics players to the point where there'd be shoving matches, and on others even Glen Davis would be outjumping the hawks front court for rebounds and blocks...

If the hawks played every game like they played the Cs at home last year and the first 3 games this year, they'd be a 50+ win team easily which would give the cavs fits on D...

If the hawks played every game like they played the Cs at home last year and the first 3 games this year, they'd be a 50+ win team easily which would give the cavs fits on D...

This team is a couple young players for depth at thd 1 and 3 and a vet big away from that goal

There is a big-time void at the small forward position and it has to be addressed. Additionally, the Hawks desperately need guard(s) who can run a team, but is able to break down defenses , create offense and shoot with confidence. The Hawks may be able to find someone such as Ty Lawson, Stephen Curry or Tyreke Evans, but the Hawks can't go another year without developing a young guard or two.

We may have to start over.

He's already reached his potential and he isn't very good. He didn't even start on his on college team so I guess he wasnt that good there either.

I don't know enough about the hawks to know if its the coach or the players, but one thing that amazes me is the inconsistency with the hawks, which is directly related to energy.

As a celtics fan, Ive had 11 games to watch this. Last year the difference in energy between the home games and the away games was astounding, and this year the hawks brought it for 3 of the 4 games. I mean, its the same players, its the same coach, its the same opponent. How can it be that on some games you will have Josh Smith catching up to even a speedster like Rondo on a breakaway to block shots to the point where rondo was always looking over his shoulder, to others where no one would even try to catch him to foul him? On some games the hawks D would ride some of the celtics players to the point where there'd be shoving matches, and on others even Glen Davis would be outjumping the hawks front court for rebounds and blocks...

It's a three-fold problem. The Hawks have a leadership problem. The Hawks have a talent problem. The Hawks have a drafting-evaluation problem.

We are a young team, but our backcourt is rather experienced. Joe Johnson is 28. Bibby is approaching 30. Flip is approaching 30. Mo Evans is approaching 30. If Speedy plays, he is approaching 30.

Our backcourt is less athletic than most backcourt and not as explosive. We have no Rondo or Chris Paul or up and coming guard(s) to consistently breakdown defenses. Bibby generally lives on the perimeter and is really one-dimensional.

Our frontcourt is truly YOUNG, inexperienced, but their offensive skillset is lacking and they are undersized. Outside of Josh Smith, they are not overly athletic. Horford is good energy player, but he isn't explosive like Kenyon Martin in his prime. If you compare Michael Beasley and Al Horford, Beasley has the greater upside. Beasley came into the NBA with a polished offensive skillset. Horford may never get it. For Marvin, it's more mental than physical.

If Woody stays, the Hawks need players who are confident, have a superior offensive skillset and can lead by example.... maybe Ty Lawson, maybe Tyreke Evans, maybe Jonny Flynn....or add someone through free agency like a Ben Gordon.

So the majority of the team has been in the league for 5 years or less, and you say blow it up.

Change the coaches, no need to break up what we have now.

We just need a quick pass first PG and a competive center - and a new coach - Zap! - Ooooh Deja Vue all over again.

Thanks BK.

P.S. - the very idea that we expect Mo Evans (a vet min F/A) to effectively defend LeBron James (the league MVP) tells you something. Granted he is the best we got right now - but that tells you something too.

Edited by DJlaysitup

• Moderators
Granted he is the best we got right now - but that tells you something too.

Until the team fell completely apart in the 4th, I thought Joe did a much better job on Lebron than Mo. I wish we could have had a healthy Marvin to throw at him as well.

Marvin this series is losing himself FA money every game.

We just need a quick pass first PG and a competive center - and a new coach - Zap! - Ooooh Deja Vue all over again.

Thanks BK.

P.S. - the very idea that we expect Mo Evans (a vet min F/A) to effectively defend LeBron James (the league MVP) tells you something. Granted he is the best we got right now - but that tells you something too.

GM Sund has to earn his money this offseason...and re-build the bench with guys capable of playing NBA basketball

You mentioned Mo Evans, but look at our bench: Randolph Morris, 6'11/275 or Soloman Jones 6'11/230 ...and we have Thomas Gardner and Othello Hunter... Half the team is a total non-factor....

There is no competition within the Hawks roster that pushes other guys to step up... and I think that's a problem as well...

Marvin needed to be pushed or be pushed out, and Big Al has to be pushed to improve is offensive skillset.

Edited by HAWKS1986

I say we trade either Josh or Horford for the biggest star center/pg we can get. The problem with trading Marvin is that we have no one else to play at sf, while trading Josh or Horford always us to solidify the power forward spot. Josh Smith has more upside. Trade Horford. Trade Josh only if it involves getting someone REALLY good, like Chris Paul.

the Hawks either have to get Ben Gordon through free agency and/or draft a point guard who can impact games in his first year.

mmmk. maybe i'm clueless but i thought we already had enough undersized players in love with the jump shot/not interested in playing defense.

I say we trade either Josh or Horford for the biggest star center/pg we can get. The problem with trading Marvin is that we have no one else to play at sf, while trading Josh or Horford always us to solidify the power forward spot. Josh Smith has more upside. Trade Horford. Trade Josh only if it involves getting someone REALLY good, like Chris Paul.

It would be great to acquire Chris Paul, but Ben Gordon is more likely a more accessible target through free agency. Critics may say it isn't possible, but at least make a competitive offer. Even if the Hawks acquire Gordon, through the NBA draft, I would like to see the Hawks draft someone like a Jonny Flynn , Eric Maynor or Stephen Curry.

If the Hawks trade Josh Smith to get into the lottery, I would try to see what it would take to acquire Blake Griffin via the draft...or someone like Dajuan Blair from Pittsburgh.