• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

top 5 playoff fall-offs - ugh

macdaddy

• Moderators
1. Joe Johnson(notes) — Atlanta Hawks: Joe Johnson has always been overrated, but because of his contract, his minutes, and the way he's allowed to dominate the ball, his stats seem passable. Throw in injuries and a couple of real defenses, and Johnson stands revealed as the second-level helper that he should be, rather than a franchise player. 16 points on 15 shots per game, as many assists as turnovers, only 4.3 rebounds in 38 minutes of play.

I don't think 'second-level helper' is really a fair but i guess this is an outside viewpoint.

top 5 nba playoff falloffs

Although I agree JJ could've and should've played better, there's no way he could've had a great series. As SOON as he touched the ball they doubled him, every time. And, Woodson is too much of a conservative, incompetent coach to switch up the offense and try to get him the ball in different situations. Instead he tells JJ to take on the double and make the pass, knowing that he probably won't get the ball back.

Although I agree JJ could've and should've played better, there's no way he could've had a great series. As SOON as he touched the ball they doubled him, every time. And, Woodson is too much of a conservative, incompetent coach to switch up the offense and try to get him the ball in different situations. Instead he tells JJ to take on the double and make the pass, knowing that he probably won't get the ball back.

All great players face the defense, but most of them have a decent coach to back them up. He has been an inigma just like most of the guys on the team and I think that points directly at Woody. Can him.

All great players face the defense, but most of them have a decent coach to back them up. He has been an inigma just like most of the guys on the team and I think that points directly at Woody. Can him.

Exactly. When we went to a straight double team on Lebron he moved the ball around and had the type of teammates that were willing to pass the ball around to find the open man.

What I don't understand is why Woody didn't have the Hawks scrimmage with Joe getting double so that he could not only get used to it, but so they could actually exploit it. Everybody just stood around when Joe was doubled and that just won't cut it! You have to run something or make your players cut! :computer8:

Once you exploit it, then the doubles won't come or at least not nearly as much and then Joe could take advantage. This is basic offensive coaching and Woody can't handle it.

Once you exploit it, then the doubles won't come or at least not nearly as much and then Joe could take advantage. This is basic offensive coaching and Woody can't handle it.

Totally agree with you. Every time Joe is doubled, I am like "OKAY, THERE IS A DOUBLE TEAM, SOMEONE HAS AN ADVANTAGE", but then you look at the guys on the court and they don't really have an advantage because Woodson doesn't put them in the right places to get the ball and make a play.

Exactly. When we went to a straight double team on Lebron he moved the ball around and had the type of teammates that were willing to pass the ball around to find the open man.

What I don't understand is why Woody didn't have the Hawks scrimmage with Joe getting double so that he could not only get used to it, but so they could actually exploit it. Everybody just stood around when Joe was doubled and that just won't cut it! You have to run something or make your players cut! :computer8:

Joe complained about the open man taking shots earlier in the series. Something to the effect of when he passed the ball he wasn't going to get it back.

The Hawks did exploit the double team, they just didn't hit open looks.

I see what you're saying and you're right we didn't hit open looks. To truly take advantage of the double, we should have had the open man drive the ball. If done correctly this can lead to three things:

-a close shot at the basket

-if you draw a defender, dish off to the guy he left

-a trip to the free throw line

Every time Joe passed out of the double, the player receiving the ball didn't react fast enough and allowed the extra man on the double to get back to his guy.....thus negating the double for our benefit.

That's what happens when you run an iso play with a player that is going to get doubled almost 100% of the time. You leave the other guys standing around so that when Joe passes out, they aren't in the right position to take advantage. Have them run some kind of motion, even if it is something simple! This is offense 101, and we need a coach that can notice these types of things.