• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

A PG option nobody's talking about.

Diesel

SO far, you can say the same thing about AL Jefferson. Does it mean anything? NO.

Yes I guess Al Jefferson leaving one team in exchange for Garnett would make you right.......

but I'll wait to see if Al starts talking about he's the best PF/C in NBA history only to be traded to 3 others teams and each one of those teams is in a conference finals a couple seasons after he leaves before I "say the same" about him.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Premium Member
Well Diesel it is obvious that Martbury is a loser and troblemaker. Why would you bring in a player like that???

I didn't see Loser or trouble maker playing for the Celtics. I saw a guy who has matured and was just happy to play again. I don't think he's a longterm solution. Hell, maybe even a 2 year deal. However, he's a guy with a skill set that we can get relatively cheaply.

Before we run out and pay Bibby 10-12 million... or pay Sessions 5-6 Million... I would see if Marbury would take a Mo Evans type deal. 2 year deal with Player Option on the second year worth 6 million. If he just wants to play and be a part of a winning team, he takes the deal. If not, he walks... However, I think he's a better commodity than all the rest of these guys who have never won nothing either.

I mean, you guys are quick to judge Marbury... but of the free agents that would cost 2 or 3 times more than Marbury... how many of them can match his credentials? Has any of them been to 2 Allstar games? Has any of them averaged 19 ppg for their career. What are we talking about then? Just disliking a guy because he made youthful mistakes? Well, what if Houston took that attitude about Artest? The least we can do is just make the offer. From there who knows...

2 year 6 Million.

• Premium Member
Yes I guess Al Jefferson leaving one team in exchange for Garnett would make you right.......

but I'll wait to see if Al starts talking about he's the best PF/C in NBA history only to be traded to 3 others teams and each one of those teams is in a conference finals a couple seasons after he leaves before I "say the same" about him.

The point still remains that Jefferson left the Celtics and the Celtics won a championship!

Do you see how unrelated the two are?

NJ gets Jason Kidd. Uhm.. hello.. best PG for a decade Jason Kidd.. Coupled with the #1 pick overall in a weaker division will get you to a championship.

Phoenix gets Nash... Uhm Hello... 2 time MVP of the League Steve Nash. Mixed with Amare Stoudamire... You're supposed to be better without Marbury.

New York is still a losing team. In fact, NY was better with Starbury. But guess what... NY has had several trips to the lottery and they have a real HC name D'Antoni... Do you think they are going to be bad for long?

Next time you think about saying that addition by subtraction... Immediately think about the irrelevance of Al Jefferson.

• Premium Member
He would absolutely do more damage than good.

Are you saying that he couldn't thrive with our setup as it is right now....

He's a scoring PG.. but he can PG and he plays better defense than Bibby... And he won't require more than 30 mpg so he could allow Wood to develop some younger PGs...

Explain to me how he doesn't fit??

• Premium Member
Are you saying that he couldn't thrive with our setup as it is right now....

He's a scoring PG.. but he can PG and he plays better defense than Bibby... And he won't require more than 30 mpg so he could allow Wood to develop some younger PGs...

Explain to me how he doesn't fit??

He does fit. We have to keep in mind that Woody's ragtag offensive system is not conducive to a traditional PG.

Check the list:

AJ

T Lue

Royal Ivey

Speedy Claxton

Steph or Alston is a considerable upgrade to anyone on that list.

Edited by NineOhTheRino

• Premium Member
Talk about a Chemistry killer....... This guy did absolutely nothing for Boston BTW and looked completely out of sync in the playoffs.

He a couple good games in that Bulls series.

The point still remains that Jefferson left the Celtics and the Celtics won a championship!

Do you see how unrelated the two are?

NJ gets Jason Kidd. Uhm.. hello.. best PG for a decade Jason Kidd.. Coupled with the #1 pick overall in a weaker division will get you to a championship.

Phoenix gets Nash... Uhm Hello... 2 time MVP of the League Steve Nash. Mixed with Amare Stoudamire... You're supposed to be better without Marbury.

New York is still a losing team. In fact, NY was better with Starbury. But guess what... NY has had several trips to the lottery and they have a real HC name D'Antoni... Do you think they are going to be bad for long?

Next time you think about saying that addition by subtraction... Immediately think about the irrelevance of Al Jefferson.

Marbury get's benched in NY..Uhm Hello... they increase their win total by almost 10

Marbury get's picked up by the champions Boston.....Uhm Hello......they lose in the Conference Semis.

Don't forget Minnesota either and you should be proud of yourself for proving my point. Marbury said that he is the best PG in the NBA yet he gets replaced by Kidd in one situation where they only added Richard Jefferson to go along with him and boom instant playoff contender, then in Pheonix with the same core of Joe, Marion, Amare he's taken out the mix and they add Nash and boom instant playoff contender. They each replaced the PG position, where he was the second coming of Oscar Robertson *lolz* and improved. If they added a player at a different position and improved then yea I'd say they are unrelated but seeing as he was the "best" at that position how could someone else come in and make that team better?

• Premium Member
Marbury get's benched in NY..Uhm Hello... they increase their win total by almost 10

Marbury get's picked up by the champions Boston.....Uhm Hello......they lose in the Conference Semis.

Don't forget Minnesota either and you should be proud of yourself for proving my point. Marbury said that he is the best PG in the NBA yet he gets replaced by Kidd in one situation where they only added Richard Jefferson to go along with him and boom instant playoff contender, then in Pheonix with the same core of Joe, Marion, Amare he's taken out the mix and they add Nash and boom instant playoff contender. They each replaced the PG position, where he was the second coming of Oscar Robertson *lolz* and improved. If they added a player at a different position and improved then yea I'd say they are unrelated but seeing as he was the "best" at that position how could someone else come in and make that team better?

that's not fair! You forgot to mention that Boston was missing their HOF foward.

Edited by NineOhTheRino

I'll say this. Marbury didn't look great for the Celtics (he had some good stretches) but he joined late in the season, hadn't played in almost 2 years, and obviously didn't know the offense that well. He was obviously rusty, but the talent is still there. He also didn't receive consistent minutes because Rondo was playing so well.

If we could get him on a cheap/short deal than I'm on board. I know this, if we stand pat or resign Bibby we are locking ourselves into mediocrity IMO. You must take risks in order to improve as a franchise, and standing pat is not going to catapult us over the top 3 eastern teams. Signing him for 2 years very cheap is NOT a big risk. If he doesn't work out, we could easily release him. Regardless, Marbury really seemed humble this past season and looks to be happier playing, he doesn't seem to be in MeBury mode at this point.

that's not fair! You forgot to mention that Boston was missing their HOF foward.

Yeah, and his primary backup. Yet they still took the Eastern conference champs to 7 games, which is more than Cleveland could do.

• Premium Member

Dude, you had no point. You have a response. As always. You have yet to start a topic in this forum, but you respond to every topic. However, back to what I was saying...

I readily admit, Marbury has done some dumb things in his career. Especially earlier. However, I think age matures every player. Even Kobe... who for the longest was "showboat" or have we forgotten that period in Kobe's career. Young players do dumb things... Like Lebron and the tantrum. Like Jordan and the ball hoggary. As a player gets older he has a chance to mature.

back to whatever point you were trying to steal. Marbury made mistakes in Minnesota.. that's well documented. However, that doesn't mean he's the same brass kid he was then? Or do you think nobody is deserving of a chance to prove themselves different??

I'm looking at Marbury from a purely fit and price standpt. His scoring fit our team need. His price could be 2 year 6 million with a PO in the 2nd year. At his age, he would certainly take that player option. Moreover, if he messes up... we can eat the second year of his deal. It's not like I'm suggesting we pay him Speedy Claxton money.

The funniest thing is you who are supposed to be such a "researcher" has failed to research your own counterpoints. They prove my point. What's Boston without KG? If anything, Starbury enhanced the Celtics in the playoffs.

But don't take my word for it....

And though Marbury's role off the bench was low-impact on too many playoff nights, Celtics coach Doc Rivers said after getting eliminated last night in a 101-82 Game 7 loss to Orlando that he would like to see the Coney Islander in green next season.

"He had his ups and downs," Rivers said. "He was behind the eight ball. He didn't have a lot of time to get it. But he was great. He wasn't only good on the court. He was phenomenal off the court. He did a lot for [Rajon] Rondo. He was great for us. We'd like him back, but we'll see."

Let's see, who's word means more... The rookie on the messageboard or Doc Rivers?

Hmm...

I'm sorry Diesel but are you attempting personal attacks based off a basketball discussion? Rookie is it now? Guess I can't post with the big boys :kickcan:

I don't do much research actually, theres no need I can pull up my own memory banks of watching the former Starbury personally for the last few years. You really think a 32 year old can bring much to the team fine but I can't understand how you want to speak of Marbury maturing based off of a few games he spends in the Boston organization. How much damage can a guy do to a team with so many strong veteran personalities in the span of 2 months? I'd say nil but for a young developing team for the 2-3 years you propose well that's a diferent story. I don't know how much maturing Marbury has done considering just earlier in this season he's joking on the sidelines and when he finally got banned from the Garden he decides to purchase courtside seats when the team is on the road so he can continue to be the distraction he loves being.

Sure he was a great teammate for the couple days he was in Boston but why don't you canvass the internet for comments from his other teammates that were with him not even 3 months ago and read what they had to say about him?

• Moderators

Starbury would have to be on a team with powerful veteran leadership to keep him in line, IMO. He needs to play for a team like Boston, LA, etc. I would not want him influencing our younger and more impressionable players and don't think he has much to offer on the court.

Keep in mind that in 31 games in Boston his PER was a catastrophically low 4.4 and that it was no better during the playoffs at 4.6.

I mean a 4.4 PER in the regular season and 4.6 PER in the postseason WOW THAT BLOWS!

Acie Law destroyed that production this year, as did Mario West. Now that I look at it, even Speedy Claxton put up a better PER than Starbury.

Ugh.

• Premium Member
Starbury would have to be on a team with powerful veteran leadership to keep him in line, IMO. He needs to play for a team like Boston, LA, etc. I would not want him influencing our younger and more impressionable players and don't think he has much to offer on the court.

Keep in mind that in 31 games in Boston his PER was a catastrophically low 4.4 and that it was no better during the playoffs at 4.6.

I mean a 4.4 PER in the regular season and 4.6 PER in the postseason WOW THAT BLOWS!

Acie Law destroyed that production this year, as did Mario West. Now that I look at it, even Speedy Claxton put up a better PER than Starbury.

Ugh.

Yeah, but what's 23 games when you haven't played in a year in a half. Not to mention, 23 games in a new offensive scheme. Not to mention, 23 games when you average 18 mpg. Not sure how you messed up your game count..... maybe you was looking at his age. However, he only played in 23 regular season games.

• Premium Member
He needs to play for a team like Boston, LA, etc. I would not want him influencing our younger and more impressionable players and don't think he has much to offer on the court.

Over his 13 year career... what Young player has Marbury ever influenced to go down the wrong road?

I'm mean, surely he must be like Isaiah Rider or something? There must be a long list of young players whom he's influenced. Maybe Rondo? Nah.. Doc said that he did a great job working with Rondo. Who are these rogues that Marbury has influenced??

• Moderators
Over his 13 year career... what Young player has Marbury ever influenced to go down the wrong road?

I'm mean, surely he must be like Isaiah Rider or something? There must be a long list of young players whom he's influenced. Maybe Rondo? Nah.. Doc said that he did a great job working with Rondo. Who are these rogues that Marbury has influenced??

Rondo was a near All-Star before Marbury joined the team. I am sure that Marbury taught him a lot while Rondo absolutely destroyed him in practice.

Like how to **** the company interns in your limo and call the team's executives b******s.

All that great roll modeling and a sub-5 PER, to boot?

Where do I sign up?

P.S. I did screw up the game count for the regular season. I also note that there were 20 people on the Knicks roster and 15 players on the Boston roster (i.e., everyone else who suited up for Boston last season) who had much better PERs than Marbury. For goodness sake, Patrick O'Bryant and Mikki Moore each more than doubled up Marbury's PER. How is this a sign that he is ready to contribute to a Hawks team where everyone who was part of the rotation was world's better than Marbury last season?

He had a couple of good runs but basically he looked out of sync. Anyways the point still stands that he's a team killer.

about him looking out of sync....you gotta think about all the games he missed before he actually got to play again