• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Chad Ford: This is what a believable rumor looks like.

mrhonline

• Premium Member
if we made that trade, we would be fools....we didnt have a 1st round pick last year so we get rid of the one this year just so we can resign bibby?...i dont understand this....does management not understand we cannot win a championship with the way we played last year.....defense at the pg position HAS TO BE ADDRESSEd.

Nobody cares. Fans, management, and coaches are all thinking small. All I ever here is how much Bibby helped this team because he made a few "big" shots. Yes he made some shots but it's his defense that hurts this team vs the top-tier of the NBA. If the Hawks trade #19 or Smoove in order to sign Mike Bibby then I promise i will struggle to support this team again until Bibby, Sund and Woody are gone!

Edited by NineOhTheRino

• Premium Member

Trading Speedy, as has been said, does practically nothing for our cap space, unless we're seriously talking about not signing Bibby on the basis of $2.5 mil (appx. sum of the min amt of salary we could take back plus the pick). On second thought, I guess that's not outside the realm of plausibility since it appears we may be headed toward something close to the luxury threshold.

I remain absolutely unimpressed with any theory that has Smoove being traded (... short of some incredibly out-of-balance deal to our benefit, which is the case with practically any player regardless).

• Premium Member
defense at the pg position HAS TO BE ADDRESSEd.

Newsflash(?): Royal Ivey opted out of his contract after having an arguably phenomenal year with regard to steals and TO/Assist ratio... relatively speaking

A gift? :blow out candles:

Newsflash(?): Royal Ivey opted out of his contract after having an arguably phenomenal year with regard to steals and TO/Assist ratio... relatively speaking

A gift? :blow out candles:

I was thinking that when I read that article yesterday ... Woody does love him some Ivey that's for sure. If we could move Speedy/Acie/Morris/19 for Camby/2nd or future pick and then sign Bibby and Ivey to be his backup / defensive replacement when needed then I'd be open to it. I believe that should still leave us enough room to re-sign Zaza or bring in Gortat.

If the Hawks make a roster move or god forbild trade a draft pick to clear up room to sign Bibby the ASG ought to be run out of town

If Bibby gets a fair contract they've got the room already. If they're stupid enough to give him 9 or 10 million they need to forfeit ownership of the team and let the NBA run the damn thing.

• Premium Member
If we could move Speedy/Acie/Morris/19 for Camby/2nd or future pick

This general idea seems to pop up with some regularity, but I can't see how a lamed Speedy in his expiration year would be attractive to the Clips in a deal for a serviceable-to-good Camby in his expiration year.

A player in Speedy's circumstance is most likely to be part of a deal for an RFA, and perhaps only for an RFA, seems to me... assuming the GM is smart enough to avoid taking on bad contracts, and I'd like to think Sund is that smart.

The only thing i take from Ford is that the Hawks are looking to make deals as they should. Ford has a lot of contacts in the league and if he says the Hawks are looking at making a deal i think there is a high probability that is true.

But given Fords history i wouldn't put it past him to twist the info to make it look like the Hawks are trying to do something dumb. He hasn't exactly been fair and balanced with his Hawks coverage over the years.

This general idea seems to pop up with some regularity, but I can't see how a lamed Speedy in his expiration year would be attractive to the Clips in a deal for a serviceable-to-good Camby in his expiration year.

A player in Speedy's circumstance is most likely to be part of a deal for an RFA, and perhaps only for an RFA, seems to me... assuming the GM is smart enough to avoid taking on bad contracts, and I'd like to think Sund is that smart.

I can easily see why a team like the Clippers would deal for Speedy because if it's true that insurance will pay 80% of his salary while it won't save cap dollars it will save a significant amount of real dollars and that's something that a guy like Sterling would love.

I think it would be hard to deal Speedy for a RFA since we'd have to take back twice his salary as that RFA would be BYC I believe and that team could only take back half of what the RFA's new salary would be.

• Premium Member

IF this were true. You're talking about a trade to a team that wants Capspace for 2010. You're also talking about a team that has a player with more than 1 year on his contract to give.

Our savings actually comes from minimal saving on the trade of Speedy... Plus another saving on not having to sign a first rounder.

after running through the dieselputer, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense for us, but there are a few players who could be tagets to make this fit (but not make sense).

1. Delonte West. Cleveland would cut some salary (especially if they want Shaq). Maybe taking Speedy in exchange for West would help their longterm outlook because they have Gibson and they have Mo. How many OGs do you need. We plug West in at SG move Joe to Sf... and we're dangerous.

That's about the bst... now comes the rest...

2. Nanand Kristic? He's big... but that about it.

3. Luke Walton. If LAC has dreams of keep their core together, then they can afford to lose Walton's long contract. For us, Walton is not really an upgrade.

It sounds like Bibby is a hawk. If we get West, I think that makes the most sense... I would love to see Joe at 3 with Bibby and West able to shoot from outside in our no offense offense. They could definitely spread the floor better than most teams. Otherwise this rumor doesn't really hold. Most other players who would fit cost too much for us or doesn't fit our need at all.

The only thing i take from Ford is that the Hawks are looking to make deals as they should. Ford has a lot of contacts in the league and if he says the Hawks are looking at making a deal i think there is a high probability that is true.

But given Fords history i wouldn't put it past him to twist the info to make it look like the Hawks are trying to do something dumb. He hasn't exactly been fair and balanced with his Hawks coverage over the years.

That's certainly possible and again it wouldn't surprise me at all to log on one day and see that Smith has been traded. I don't know whether I hope for it to happen or not but either way it won't surprise if he's traded or if he stays put.

• Premium Member
I can easily see why a team like the Clippers would deal for Speedy because if it's true that insurance will pay 80% of his salary while it won't save cap dollars it will save a significant amount of real dollars and that's something that a guy like Sterling would love.

I guess I'm just assuming that Speedy will be healthy enough that a team won't be able to put the disability hex on him, so the insurance won't matter... but then again, we ARE talking about Speedy, so even if he was healthy at the end of this season, that's meaningless once training camp starts.

I think it would be hard to deal Speedy for a RFA since we'd have to take back twice his salary as that RFA would be BYC I believe and that team could only take back half of what the RFA's new salary would be.

Okay... this is news to me. I realize that BYC is applicable to a player AFTER he signs the new contract for the large spike in salary, but I thought I understood that a sign-and-trade deal for an RFA is essentially one transaction with multiple parts... I admit I need to go review the Coon site on this.

I guess I'm just assuming that Speedy will be healthy enough that a team won't be able to put the disability hex on him, so the insurance won't matter... but then again, we ARE talking about Speedy, so even if he was healthy at the end of this season, that's meaningless once training camp starts.

I'm not sure about the insurance, I'm just going off of what the initial rumor said but if history has taught us anything it's that Speedy won't be playing.

Okay... this is news to me. I realize that BYC is applicable to a player AFTER he signs the new contract for the large spike in salary, but I thought I understood that a sign-and-trade deal for an RFA is essentially one transaction with multiple parts... I admit I need to go review the Coon site on this.

I could be wrong and I'm certainly no expert on this, I was just stating what I thought was the case.

Edit - this might be the answer but maybe MrH or HF can weigh in on this.

One complication with sign-and-trade deals is that the signed player can immediately become a BYC player (see question number 73 for more information on BYC), so the player's BYC value must be used when determining whether the trade is allowed.

http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#Q76

I'm not sure about the insurance, I'm just going off of what the initial rumor said but if history has taught us anything it's that Speedy won't be playing.

I could be wrong and I'm certainly no expert on this, I was just stating what I thought was the case.

Edit - this might be the answer but maybe MrH or HF can weigh in on this.

You are correct as the excerpt you quoted clearly shows.

One complication with sign-and-trade deals is that the signed player can immediately become a BYC player (see question number 73 for more information on BYC), so the player's BYC value must be used when determining whether the trade is allowed.

• Premium Member

If they trade Claxton, to me that signals two things:

1. Childress is staying in Greece.

2. They'll make every attempt to re-sign Marvin.

You can't do S&T's with either guy unless you have the ultimate-BYC killer in Claxton. (Thanks for the memories, Craig).

If the Hawks trade our 1st round pick for capspace, then I am done watching this team.

The Hawks are so cheap. I can see them just sitting there and not drafting anybody, letting the draft pass them by so that they don't have to pay anybody anything. Of course the way they draft, it's probably the smart move. Ala the Minnesota Vikings but don't draft anybody. Is there a rule that the Hawks have to draft somebody or are they on the clock for eternity?

Hawk88