• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Woodson Quote

Vesper

“Had we been healthy and got swept in four, then you can easily judge it. It’s hard to judge that team when Al Horford can’t move, Marvin Williams can’t shoot and Joe Johnson is struggling on a bad ankle."

This is the first time I've heard him break it down this way.

ajc

Edited by Vesper

“Had we been healthy and got swept in four, then you can easily judge it. It’s hard to judge that team when Al Horford can’t move, Marvin Williams can’t shoot and Joe Johnson is struggling on a bad ankle."

ajc

I DON'T NEED FOR HIM TO TELL ME THIS. I KNOW THAT.... SOUNDS TO ME LIKE HE IS PLAYING THE EXCUSE GAME.

FIRE HIS BUTT! :super:

• Premium Member

the guy is so lame. Hell we all know that! But I guess he's trying to get his message to other GM's early.

ajc

That's a very sensible and objective thing to say. I think all he really means here is that it's harder to know what holes we really have than if the team had been in the playoffs with 100% health.

• Premium Member
That's a very sensible and objective thing to say. I think all he really means here is that it's harder to know what holes we really have than if the team had been in the playoffs with 100% health.

I agree Dr. Z, and that's why I didn't want to overreact to getting swept by the Cavs. If we were healthy, we probably could have made a few runs at home that would've made that series comparable to our series against the Celts the previous season.

People often get injured from overuse. Woody abused JJ throughout the season. I believe he lead the league in minutes. Come playoff time, these guys will either be tired or get hurt. Add to that that he does not develop young guys and does not instill confidence in them so when a fill in player, we do not have them. Popovich sat out all 3 stars on his team against a game in denver just to get them rest. I cant see woody ever doing that with one player, much less 3. I think many teams have a shannon brown sitting on their team, its the coachs job to find to make that person confident enough to make their minutes effective.

sf

People often get injured from overuse. Woody abused JJ throughout the season. I believe he lead the league in minutes. Come playoff time, these guys will either be tired or get hurt. Add to that that he does not develop young guys and does not instill confidence in them so when a fill in player, we do not have them. Popovich sat out all 3 stars on his team against a game in denver just to get them rest. I cant see woody ever doing that with one player, much less 3. I think many teams have a shannon brown sitting on their team, its the coachs job to find to make that person confident enough to make their minutes effective.

sf

Great first post. Welcome to the boards.

sf

1. I don't disagree that JJ played too many minutes.

2. JJ was 3rd in the league in minutes per game last year, behind Iggy and Jax.

3. 2009 was the lowest minutes per game total for JJ since 2003 and was down almost 1.5 minutes per game from 2008.

4. Welcome to Hawksquawk.

:biggrin:

SAIFFF: Welcome to Hawksquawk. Good post.

Woodson is correct. Cleveland would be hard enough to beat if the Hawks were

100% healthy. We didn't match up well with them.

That being said, Woody has to take much of the blame. He overused his players and

refused to use his bench enough. Most of the time, but not always, Woody rested

JJ only when all hope was lost. Woody runs a scared ship. He's afraid to trust

his bench players. He runs a 7-8 man rotation. That leaves 4-5 players who never

see the floor until all hope is lost or on that rare occasion when all hope is lost for

our opponent.

Perhaps we don't have a bench. Maybe these players just aren't capable of playing

in the NBA, not even for a minute or two. Maybe the game would be lost if Woody

dared to allow them on the floor. One thing we can't do. We can't point a finger @

Woody and say, Hawks lost the game because you let this or that player come

off the bench and play 2 minutes in the second or third quarter. Nope.

Woody's message to our GM and to these 4 or 5 bench players - These guys are

useless. Get rid of them. Replace them with undrafted free agents or players

from last season's D-League. These player's theme song should be the old country

song, "Please release me, let me go, for you don't love me any more."

Woody is stubborn. Bull headed to a fault. And, then there is his famous Dog House.

Can our GM find bench players that Woody will use? Probably not. He would be

scared to use them.

As originally stated. Woody is correct. Hawks couldn't compete because they were

so beat up / injured they couldn't produce. Overused and abused by Woody was

probably one of the main reasons for this, I believe.

:nono:

I think too many have clouded judgment because they hate Woody.

He's not saying that to save his own butt, he's saying that to send a message to keep the team TOGETHER.

I think he wants everyone re-signed because he thinks when healthy this team can make even more progress like they had done every year since we blew the team up

• Premium Member
I think too many have clouded judgment because they hate Woody.

He's not saying that to save his own butt, he's saying that to send a message to keep the team TOGETHER.

I think he wants everyone re-signed because he thinks when healthy this team can make even more progress like they had done every year since we blew the team up

Woody hate has run amock around here lately. If you're going to hate the guy, at least hate him for the right reason, that he's a bad offensive coach. But I have to admit that I really like how Woodson has been lobbying to keep these guys together and I don't fault him one bit for doing so. This actually is a pretty good team when healthy. Then you have to add in Crawford, Teague, and whatever big we're looking at and you gotta believe that we can make a serious run next season.

• Moderators
Woody hate has run amock around here lately. If you're going to hate the guy, at least hate him for the right reason, that he's a bad offensive coach. But I have to admit that I really like how Woodson has been lobbying to keep these guys together and I don't fault him one bit for doing so. This actually is a pretty good team when healthy. Then you have to add in Crawford, Teague, and whatever big we're looking at and you gotta believe that we can make a serious run next season.

Good post.

(Although, I would still like a complimentary PG whether it is Bibby, B.Knight, or someone else with a different skillset than Teague, Crawford and Flip.)

Ain't kicking Woody because of what he did, overuse his starters, as I am about

his refusal to use his bench players and give his favorite players any rest.

Who is at fault? Hawks have players who never see the floor. Are they not good?

Can't compete? Why, then, do we have them? A warm body for practice?

Heck, the way Woody operates, we only need an 8 man roster.

:beathorse:

Hey, he didn't do that good of a job with Detroit, but us Augustans have to stick together.

Umm Joe Dumars screwed that team up when he traded a true point for an undersized and decling two guard. Not his fault that all the chemistry went out the window and straight to Denver.