• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Merged: Hawks Trade Rights to Andersen

Theeyo

The Hawks have traded 2002 second round pick David Andersen to the Houston Rockets for a future 2nd, cash and other considerations.

http://twitter.com/atlanta_hawks

more to come later

Edit - link to Sekou article

Edited by Dolfan23
Add link to Sekou's article
  • Like 2

well not sure what to say....at least we got something out of it i guess...

can someone tell me what future considerations usually means?

and if david andersen ends up being great, i'm gonna be pissed.

Edited by DocHawk

Some news on the Hawks front - after re-signing Mike Bibby and Zaza Pachulia yesterday to new contracts, the team today traded the rights to Australian big man David Andersen (Atlanta's 2nd round pick in 2002) to Houston for a future second and cash considerations.

Hawks GM Rick Sund had this to say about the move: “It’s unlikely David was going to play for us, so this deal gives us the opportunity to re-capture the second round draft choice that the organization used on him in 2002, plus cash considerations. It also allows David the chance to come over and play in the NBA.”

Here is my read on the deal - with the Hawks re-signing Zaza, minutes for Andersen would probably be hard to come by in an Atlanta uniform.

By all accounts Andersen appears to be a decent player, but you still never know how a Euro player's game will translate to the NBA, and to be potentially spending a decent chunk of money on the unknown, it sounds like a risk that probably doesn't have enough of a pay-off to see it through.

In the meantime, the team gets something in return for his services, and will presumably continue to search for frontcourt help from players who are maybe a little more established in the League already.

We wish Andersen well in Houston, and hopefully he'll have a chance to get the minutes there that he probably wouldn't have seen here in Atlanta.

As with Chill why take back and pay a player we don't really like? We are up there in salary and besides, are not going to get much value for an unproven player in the NBA. We got a pick,( yay) we got cash, (hip hip hooray). Now Sund can use that cash to offset some of the moves he's made and actually pick a player HE wants later on. Not a bad end to this 7 year odyssey

Good trade for Houston, Adelman is going get max production out of DA. 2nd rounder is worthless, cash consideration can't imagine being more than a million. Houston plays decent without Yao and they get a serviceable big for nothing to them.

He is going to be a solid player from what i've heard. Too bad he didn't want to play for Atl. b/c we resigned zaza. Lame trade

I disagree, he might have been a serviceable big man, but he might not have. He wanted more money and guarantees than we were willing to give, so he was never coming to Atlanta. Like others have said, instead we got a 2nd and cash. Is that great? No. Is it proper value? yes.

It seems like Sund's best skill is dealing with this part of being a gm, be it signing mo and Flip last year, or finally getting something for an asset that has just been sitting there.

Well this is certainly not a move that thrills me, but I'll wait to reserve judgment until I see what we do with the extra cash. And wow it must be nice to have the Rockets owners! First they purchased 3 high 2nd round picks and now they basically bought Andersen from us.

Damn you Belkin!