• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Merged: Hawks Trade Rights to Andersen

Theeyo

When Hawks signed Zaza, Andersen said, "I ain't going to play for the Hawks."

That means, we had nothing. Zilch. Nada.

Houston said, "Would you come play for us if given the opportunity?"

Yes.

Then, they offfered Atlanta a future second round pick for their former second round pick.

OK says Atlanta - - If you want him, then we will swap - With you guys giving us some

cash since you are getting your player now and our player is somewhere out there

in the future.

Houston wins. They get a player that they really need - Right now! This upcoming season!!

Atlanta wins. They shed a player who wouldn't sign with us. Cash, which, as Yoga Berra says,

is just as good as money AND we get a future second round pick.

Hope Andersen does well and has a good career (Except when he faces the Hawks!)

When Hawks signed Zaza, Andersen said, "I ain't going to play for the Hawks."

That means, we had nothing. Zilch. Nada.

Houston said, "Would you come play for us if given the opportunity?"

Yes.

Then, they offfered Atlanta a future second round pick for their former second round pick.

OK says Atlanta - - If you want him, then we will swap - With you guys giving us some

cash since you are getting your player now and our player is somewhere out there

in the future.

Houston wins. They get a player that they really need - Right now! This upcoming season!!

Atlanta wins. They shed a player who wouldn't sign with us. Cash, which, as Yoga Berra says,

is just as good as money AND we get a future second round pick.

Hope Andersen does well and has a good career (Except when he faces the Hawks!)

I think that we should have tried to get a player from Houston for him, perhaps Budinger. If we use the "cash considerations" to get the owners to okay signing more players then that's great, but right now I would have been more comfortable getting a player in return.

It is better than nothing although I don't assume that nothing was the only other option.

• Premium Member

I don't think you have to worry about Andersen becoming great. I just kind of wish we would have held his rights instead of trading him for a worthless pick. If he didn't want to play for us I'd have rather seen him kept out of the NBA period.

I'm with ya there. Based on what I know Anderson is weak.

right now the Rockets have

1. Yao Ming (hurt all year I know)

2. Tracy Mcgrady (probably hurt all year too)

3. Shane Battier

4. Aaron Brooks

5 Kyle Lowry

6 Carl Landry

7 Chuck Hayes

8 Trevor Ariza

9Luis Scola

10Jermaine Taylor

11Chase Budinger

12Kyle Lowry

13Brent Barry

14 Brian Cook

15 Joey Dorsey

16 James white

and now they have David Anderson... personally I'd assume that Brian Cook will be bought out, but assuming Yao and Mcgrady are out the two holes are at SG and C. Their best SG's? Battier, whose more suited for SF, James White (can't stick with an NBA team) and then the rookies (Budinger and Taylor)

I can understand thinking maybe we could get Joey Dorsey, since they already have undersized bigmen, he might duplicate Hayes, but Budinger? They JUST bought him! They're not going to trade him for David Andersen...

edit: I also assume that its Cook and White who are probably the odd men out (possibly Barry).

Edited by niffoc4

The Hawks have traded 2002 second round pick David Andersen to the Houston Rockets for a future 2nd, cash and other considerations.

http://twitter.com/atlanta_hawks

more to come later

Crap, that is like having a christmas present sitting under the tree for a month and then before you get to open it, your mom gives it to your neighbor. Might have been something good but after waiting all that time it would be at least nice to see for yourself.

Hawk88

I like cash considerations

Andersen didn't want to play for the Hawks with the re-signing of Zaza. That's how he even started his interest in the Hawks. This is a win-win for the Hawks in my opinion.

Do we know what our offer was? If we did we'd have some idea of what the cash consideration might be.

It could be the difference for those last couple of contracts we sign to fill out the bench?

It will prolly be the extra money that Crawford will make this year over Speedy and Law so Hawks ownership can even up there.

I think I was right then. The cash makes up for the difference for this year of the Crawford for Law and Speedy trade. The 2 mill almost perfectly makes up the 2 mill extra they have to pay Crawford this year as opposed to Speedy and Acie. Yes I know they have to give Crawford 10 mill next year but they will work another cost cutting move out for that.

Edited by NJHAWK

I really hoped Andersen would get his head out of his *ss and decide to play for us.

At least we got something out of him though. Now that he's not going to play for Atlanta, I wish we s*** on him in Houston if we ever face him.

Does anyone think this was a move that we could have used in the beginning of the free agency when there were more big-time players asking for more money? I think the money will go into a free agent big, but I don't know if we should have waited or not.

I like Sund's reasoning. Hopefully that cash means more to spend...

ASG will probably spend the cash on legal fees relating to their ownership fight.

That said, this guy was never going to play for Atlanta. Anyone who bails when a backup center is re-signed is not worth pursuing.

Obviously, a 2nd round pick in 2010 is not worth a 2nd round pick in 2002, but we take what we can get for whining Euro players who won't compete for a bench spot. Don't worry AndersEn. I see you starting at the 5 for Houston in the next century. Rock on, Aussie.

Yao could be an amputee and still start over this guy.

All I'm going to say is that the Rockets are a terrificly run franchise with a great GM. And we get apparently got $hit for him....wtf does "future considerations" mean? I think DA could end up being a pretty decent role player that we are gonna wish we had. Bigs that can shoot don't grow on trees

http://blogs.ajc.com/hawks/2009/07/14/the-breakdown/

According to Sekou:

In return, the Hawks snagged not only a future second-round draft pick to replace Andersen, they also collect cash believed to be in the amount of $2 million, which comes in handy as this summer goes on (and they continue to scour the free agent landscape for big man help). After years of sitting on their assets it’s time the Hawks started cashing in a few of these chips (Cenk “Blame it on the A-A-A-A-A-A” Akyol is next).

Uhm guys, why are we crying over a 29 year old second round pick? It's not like we gave up a lottery pick in exchange for a 2nd rounder. With the Rockets most likely being in rebuilding mode for the next 3 years that pick could very much be the 31st, so in all likelihood a pick comparable to his talent or the next freakin Ramon Sessions/Gilbert Arenas or anyone that could actually fill in our current roster. Also 2 million dollars is nothing to sneeze at, that goes a long way to paying some contracts around here. Sekou says Cenk is next so apparently after a year to evaluate, Sund is taking care of all tardy accounts that we've held. Nice to know he's putting his stamp on this team and taking care of what's been excess baggage around here for the last decade.

Also of note he's insinuating deals involving Chills broke down over actually getting a 1st round pick in return rather than crotchety veteran expirings.Interesting.