• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Vick getting a bad deal.

Diesel

• Premium Member

I think the NFL player's union need to step up. Old Roger is using his authority in the wrong way. Vick should be allowed to play with no strings attached. Right now Goodell is playing the role of god. Vick was in jail for 2 years. Didn't his suspension run concurrently with that? So now Vick has to come back and kiss the ring and get no assurance that he will ever be allowed to play???

Goodell makes me wish (for the first time in life) that the USL comes in and puts out a better product than the NFL and are able to attract the NFL stars away.

Yeah, not really seeing the purpose of a suspension when jail time was served. Gotta agree on this one.

It is a tough one. The commish said he did it so Vick could slowly transition back into the league. Whether I buy it or not, he has the opportunity to sign a NFL contract. Something I honestly was not sure he would ever be able to do again.

Being convicted of a crime is one thing...being associated with a known illegal gambling ring is a whole different story that would get you the death sentence in baseball....and now that the NBA had to deal with a ref shaving points, its probably a death sentence in basketball also. Keywords being illegal gamling ring.

I do hope Vick keeps his head on straight and goes to the AFC and not the NFC!

• Premium Member

It is a tough one. The commish said he did it so Vick could slowly transition back into the league. Whether I buy it or not, he has the opportunity to sign a NFL contract. Something I honestly was not sure he would ever be able to do again.

The problem is who is Goodell to keep Vick out of football when Vick has paid his debt to society? Under what basis does he do that?

Being convicted of a crime is one thing...being associated with a known illegal gambling ring is a whole different story that would get you the death sentence in baseball....and now that the NBA had to deal with a ref shaving points, its probably a death sentence in basketball also. Keywords being illegal gamling ring.

I do hope Vick keeps his head on straight and goes to the AFC and not the NFC!

Problem is that Vick never gambled on the sport he played? Let's look at the NBA more closely... shall we... Micheal Jordan and Charles Barkley were known to gamble. It is even believed that MJ's father paid the price for MJ's gambling. That MJ's finger was sliced off because of his gambling. That's just rumor. However, that's basketball. In baseball, how many known drug users are still playing? Arod? ManRam? I said that drug usage that effects the game is a far bigger crime than what Vick did. Then there's football...I won't even start in on steroids or on street drug abuse... What about DWI? How many NFL players are stopped for DWI? 451 incidents since 2000. You got guys like Chris Henry walking around playing...How about Domestic Violence? This was Vick's first offense. Goodell should have given him a stern warning but to give him all of these indefinites is bad business and it sort of looks like a personal vendetta.

• Like 1

• Moderators

I call BS on that paternalistic spin. This was a PR move for the league to lessen the amount of protests while opening the door for Vick to return.

In terms of Vick's suspension, this does seem unnecessary to me but there was no actual announcement on what his suspesnion was, etc. so there is no issue about his suspension already having run its course. I am just 100% willing to bet that if Tom Brady was caught with drugs, served some jail time, did some rehab, that he would never get this additional suspension to help him "transition back into the league." This is entirely a product of the sheer amount of bad press Vick generated for the league and the likelihood of protests from animal rights groups, IMO.

I call BS on that paternalistic spin. This was a PR move for the league to lessen the amount of protests while opening the door for Vick to return.

In terms of Vick's suspension, this does seem unnecessary to me but there was no actual announcement on what his suspesnion was, etc. so there is no issue about his suspension already having run its course. I am just 100% willing to bet that if Tom Brady was caught with drugs, served some jail time, did some rehab, that he would never get this additional suspension to help him "transition back into the league." This is entirely a product of the sheer amount of bad press Vick generated for the league and the likelihood of protests from animal rights groups, IMO.

I agree it is a probably a PR move. But at the same time to say a suspension cannot last longer than a jail sentence is similar to saying probation or paroll should end once the inmate is released. It's real easy to walk the straight and narrow when you are in confinement...Vick still has to prove to the NFL and his fans in my opinion that he can do that in the real world; and obviously our legal system thinks in a similar manner or he would not be on probation or payroll.

Using drugs and being a addict (your Brady reference) is one thing; being a dealer is another...Vick was the dealer (Bankroll) in this. I think he got a decent deal in that he can play again. And my opinion is not based on dogs; but on illegal gambling. Big time dog fighting is not just some small time redneck way of having fun...it is a multi million dollar business run by some very sleasy (connected) and dangerous characters. Vick was a rich and sleasy character who was running his on ring.

To think he was not at least moderately connected is naive. That is my opinion and no amount of bleeding heart sympathy is going to change it. I am glad he can play and hope like hell he does well!

Edited by Buzzard

I think the league should be allowed to "punish" Vick by keeping him out until the 6th game for all the negative PR that they received because of his actions. If I were them I wouldn't allow him back in the league at all because of it but he's still a fan draw so they have to let him back in.

At this point it might not matter since the list of teams who have publicly stated that they are not interested in Vick is growing by the day.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/07/28/the-anti-vick-list/

The list currently stands at 17:

1. Atlanta Falcons. (We know it kind of goes without saying.)
  2. Tampa Bay Buccaneers. (The Bucs have been silent since Vick was reinstated; they previously have said they aren't interested.)
  3. Detroit Lions. (Pre-reinstatement.)
  4. New York Jets. (Pre-reinstatement and last week.)
  5. New York Giants. (Recently.)
  6. San Francisco 49ers. (Pre-reinstatement and post-reinstatement.)
  7. St. Louis Rams. (Pre-reinstatement, and possibly post-reinstatement.)
  8. Dallas Cowboys. (Pre-reinstatement and recently.)
  9. Washington Redskins. (Pre-reinstatement and recently.)
  10. Houston Texans. (Pre-reinstatement.)
  11. Indianapolis Colts. (Pre-reinstatement.)
  12. Seattle Seahawks. (Pre-reinstatement.)
  13. Buffalo Bills. (Post-reinstatement.)
  14. Cincinnati Bengals. (Post-reinstatement.)
  15. Miami Dolphins. (Post-reinstatement.)
  16. Kansas City Chiefs. (Pre-reinstatement and post-reinstatement.)
  17. Philadelphia Eagles. (Post-reinstatement.)

• Moderators

I agree it is a probably a PR move. But at the same time to say a suspension cannot last longer than a jail sentence is similar to saying probation or paroll should end once the inmate is released. It's real easy to walk the straight and narrow when you are in confinement...Vick still has to prove to the NFL and his fans in my opinion that he can do that in the real world; and obviously our legal system thinks in a similar manner or he would not be on probation or payroll.

I expressly said that a suspension doesn't have to match the jail time here so there is no issue about the suspension supposedly being over because it ran concurrently with jail time. It is within the NFL's discretion. I just wouldn't choose that myself in light of the total circumstances here is all.

Using drugs and being a addict (your Brady reference) is one thing; being a dealer is another...Vick was the dealer (Bankroll) in this. I think he got a decent deal in that he can play again. And my opinion is not based on dogs; but on illegal gambling. Big time dog fighting is not just some small time redneck way of having fun...it is a multi million dollar business run by some very sleasy (connected) and dangerous characters. Vick was a rich and sleasy character who was running his on ring.

To think he was not at least moderately connected is naive. That is my opinion and no amount of bleeding heart sympathy is going to change it. I am glad he can play and hope like hell he does well!

I think you are overstating it a bit much here. The indictment alleged a total of 15 fights involving dogs that Vick owned. Vick lost money on this operation from the allegations of the indictment. He did bankroll it but this wasn't a massive operation he was running. It was plenty significant enough to send him and others to jail, but it wasn't like he was the mastermind behind some huge operation (he isn't bright enough for that).

What he did is serious wrongdoing, but he has paid a very serious penalty. I just don't see Vick's treatment here as being very consistent with discipline given to others in football - although this may be a sign that the Goodell era is a new one for NFL enforcement policy.

Hearing rumors that Ravens may have interest. New Head Coach Jim Harbaugh (Sp ?) says the team has had open dialogue about what Vick would bring and would not bring to the Ravens..........

Whatever that is supposed to mean. At least there is one Head Coach saying they are having open talks about him. He would only be a wild cat gimmick guy for 4 or 5 plays a game with Balitmore since Flacco is a much better QB. The Ravens already have a running QB in Troy Smith to run the Wild Cat if they want.

Still, at least we heard a whisper.

I could see the Patriots taking a gamble. Their locker room is strong enough and to keep the peace. After all, they took Randy Moss when no one wanted him. The best ream fits for Vick would be Denver and Carolina in my opinion.

Edited by coachx

Hearing rumors that Ravens may have interest. New Head Coach Jim Harbaugh (Sp ?) says the team has had open dialogue about what Vick would bring and would not bring to the Ravens..........

Whatever that is supposed to mean. At least there is one Head Coach saying they are having open talks about him. He would only be a wild cat gimmick guy for 4 or 5 plays a game with Balitmore since Flacco is a much better QB. The Ravens already have a running QB in Troy Smith to run the Wild Cat if they want.

I could see the Patriots taking a gamble. Their locker room is strong enough and to keep the peace. After all, they took Randy Moss when no one wanted him. The best ream fits for Vick would be Denver and Carolina in my opinion.

I'd LOVE to see him in Denver but HATE to see him in Carolina (or Tampa or NO). I think he would be a GREAT fit in MIN or STL and not bad in NE or PIT. DAL and WAS say they have no interest but it wouldn't shock me to see him in one of those places as well.

What he did is serious wrongdoing, but he has paid a very serious penalty. I just don't see Vick's treatment here as being very consistent with discipline given to others in football - although this may be a sign that the Goodell era is a new one for NFL enforcement policy.

I do think Goodell is tired and fed up with players being associated with and/or being convicted of felonies. PacMan pretty much got on his last nerve in my opinion; even though he was never convicted of a felony.

Edited by Buzzard

• Premium Member

I agree it is a probably a PR move. But at the same time to say a suspension cannot last longer than a jail sentence is similar to saying probation or paroll should end once the inmate is released.

You're talking about the difference between a debt to society vs. a debt to football. Based on the way that Football handles other crimes, it is not consistent for Goodell to single out vick as if he was a 3 time offender. Brett Farve was addicted to pain killers, never served jailtime and was never suspended. Not only that. He was named MVP that year?

See what happens if you illegally obtain Oxycontin?

You'll be in jail.

• Premium Member

Just to emphasize that. Vick did more Jailtime than guys who have been convicted multiple times and were the mastermind of a massive operation. He was also fined much heavier. In short, there was no precedent of the amount of jail time and fines he had to pay. They made an example out of Vick.

I could see the Patriots taking a gamble. Their locker room is strong enough and to keep the peace. After all, they took Randy Moss when no one wanted him.

Wasn't much of a gamble, what did they give up for him again? A 4th round draft pick and I don't remember if they gave up anything else. But Randy played when he wanted to, up until he got to NE. And he said he wanted to play with the Patriots and even took a pay cut, I wouldn't call that a "gamble"

The Patriots would be the most likely team, IMO. The Miami Dolphins opened the door for his return when they unleashed the wildcat offense onto the NFL last season. Given Michael Vick's lack of ability as a passer and his ability to run, someone is going to sign him to be their wildcat quarterback. After getting burned by the offense last year, there has been some talk that Bill Belichick wants to integrate the single wing stuff into the Patriots offense.

• Moderators

I still think that in terms of an on-the-field fit, the Vikings would be a dynamic fit with Vick. With the other playmakers on that offense, it would be a nightmare to scheme around Vick, AP, and Percy Harvin.

• Premium Member

I still think that in terms of an on-the-field fit, the Vikings would be a dynamic fit with Vick. With the other playmakers on that offense, it would be a nightmare to scheme around Vick, AP, and Percy Harvin.

There are Vikings teams I think will look at VIck.

1. The Redskins. Regardless of what they are saying now... Snyder is shaking like a crackhead to get a media ***** like Vick into a Redskins Jersey.

2. The Raiders. With their 57 other QBs, I think VIck would fit. What other team can deal with controversial images better?

3. The Dolphins. The Wildcat offense and Vick are a perfect fit.

4. The Vikings. With the old man retiring, VIck would be a great replacement eventually. He would add speed to a team filled with Runners.

Who should call Vick...

Baltimore, Cleveland, and Chicago.

3. The Dolphins. The Wildcat offense and Vick are a perfect fit.

No thanks, we already have Pat White for the Wildcat who is much younger and is at this point probably a better runner than Vick and is far and away a better passer.

The Vikings would be scary good with him and he'd clearly be the best QB on their team.

I can see him end up in Washington or New England though without a doubt.

• Moderators

The Vikings would be scary good with him and he'd clearly be the best QB on their team.

That is why Minnesota makes so much sense to me. He could actually be a long-term solution in Minnesota versus a change of pace guy in NE, etc.

No doubt. I think that the Vikings would be a nightmare to defend with Vick under Center.