• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The Future Of Iso-Joe?

Wurider05

With Marvin coming back into the fold and this team coming off a 47-win season and a trip to the second round have we now evolved to the point where we don't have to depend on JJ to carry the team. Have we evolved to the point where we don't live or die with Joe Johnson. The next step in making us truly an elite team is to become a whole team. DO you think Woody has the balls to go to a team oriented offense? With the various lineups that we can throw out it is almost imperil that our offense changes. We need more size without a doubt but isn't it time we fully embrace team basket ball and not the JJ show? With JJ coming up on a contract season do you think that he is willing to step back and have a reduction in his stats (to help the team) which would hurt how much money he gets.

Someone on a AJC forum stated that JJ is actually holding back our team.

Edited by Wurider05

i don't think that Iso-Joe is done by choice but is done when there is a sense that the game is getting out of hand and the team has to make every possession count. when you have five players on the court and all five know who is going to be most able to get a basket you see how the "iso-joe" gets started. team basketball happens when the other four people on the court show that they can get baskets not just in crunch time situations but in all situations. the only people that have shown that is bibby (just on vet experience) and josh (de-facto second scorer). its gotta be on marvin, horford and the bench to show that when the situation calls (1,2, & 3 quarters) you can get shots and hold or extend the lead. team basketball is manifested on the court. not in the offseason.

:beathorse:

As long as we have JJ and we have Woody there will be plenty of Iso-Joe in store for all Hawk fans.

All our opponents know this.

There are two ways to eliminate this.

1- When JJ is on the bench, which is seldom, you won't see this.

2- When Woody is out, due to illness or being thrown out (2 Tec. fouls) and another coach is temporarly on charge.

Other than these two times, expect plenty of Iso-Joe plays, especially in the last half of any 4th quarter.

:write a letter:

• Premium Member

With Marvin coming back into the fold and this team coming off a 47-win season and a trip to the second round have we now evolved to the point where we don't have to depend on JJ to carry the team. Have we evolved to the point where we don't live or die with Joe Johnson. The next step in making us truly an elite team is to become a whole team. DO you think Woody has the balls to go to a team oriented offense? With the various lineups that we can throw out it is almost imperil that our offense changes. We need more size without a doubt but isn't it time we fully embrace team basket ball and not the JJ show? With JJ coming up on a contract season do you think that he is willing to step back and have a reduction in his stats (to help the team) which would hurt how much money he gets.

Someone on a AJC forum stated that JJ is actually holding back our team.

Who's coaching the offense?

As long as Woodson is the HC and there's no offensive coordinator... and Horf and Smoove has not developed consistent low post moves... There will always be ISO Joe.

I don't think Woody gets involved with Offensive gamplanning. I remember him saying something to the effect that he lets Bibby do what he please. Moreover, I don't think that Bibby wants the pressure of running the offense all on him either. Bibby likes being an OG. I think it will be like this until Teague is ready to take over OR we get a new offensive coach or HC.

Since Woody has been here, the PG are not required to facilitate, with that in mind, Teague will be brought along the same way.

Look at our history under woody

Lue

Bibby (in our system, not so much b4 he got here)

Acie (a big time shooter coming out of school)

Teague

Salim

All scoring gaurds

versus

Anthony Johnson

Speedy Claxton

more traditional pg's

As long as JJ is here, the offense will be ran through him, much like Lebron in Cle, and Wade in Mia

• Premium Member

Who's coaching the offense?

As long as Woodson is the HC and there's no offensive coordinator... and Horf and Smoove has not developed consistent low post moves... There will always be ISO Joe.

I don't think Woody gets involved with Offensive gamplanning. I remember him saying something to the effect that he lets Bibby do what he please. Moreover, I don't think that Bibby wants the pressure of running the offense all on him either. Bibby likes being an OG. I think it will be like this until Teague is ready to take over OR we get a new offensive coach or HC.

Hell even the great Phil Jackson had an offensive coordinator.

I think that even the strongest woody supporters would agree that our offense is terrible under him. Can we please please PLEASE hire an offensive coordinator

• Premium Member

I don't think it's going to change. In all these years, Woodson has not been able to develop any sort of consistent scoring option outside of giving it to Joe. When he's interviewed about other players, the response is always "...and we don't even run any plays for him." So, I think we can expect to see Joe playing just as many minutes, with just as many touches, while everyone else waits for an open shot or for the shot clock to wind out.

...which is funny because we still won 47 games with that ridiculousness. :no-no:

Unless Al and Smoove become better at screening and take an active interest into expanding that part of their games exactly what system can we run besides iso-Joe ? Big men really dictate how intricate an offense you can actually run. To be honest if I was Woody I would get both in town and we would watch the every pick and roll ran by the David Lee last year as Mike D'antoni had that guy looking like a scoring machine even though he had no post moves . The ability to pick and move got him at least 10 easy points a game .