• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Apology Time

HawkItus

First of all, resigning all of your major RFA and UFAs is exceedingly difficult. Second, that alone would be better than the minimum even if it were the status quo + our draft pick. Thirdly, Crawford is a huge upgrade who not only fills positionS of need but a role with skill-sets of need. Forth, it's not over yet.

While I would have liked Andersen, not so much at the expense of ZaZa and Andersen wanted more PT than we could offer him. I still would have liked more in return for him in trade, but oh well, that's a minor complaint. I will also add that I would have liked Blair once he fell or Mullens, but not by much. Again, another minor gripe. Otherwise, this is some of the best GMing you could hope for all done without any extra draft picks, money, or players to trade.

Note: With Bibby now resigned, who here wouldn't want Blair to go along with JS, Horford, and ZaZa? That would be a frontline with everything to offer, athleticism, shot blocking, dunking, rebounding, size, girth. Still, I don't mind the investment in Teague.

W

Well said Walt and I agree. There are a few minor things I might have done differently but all in all, I think Sund has done a tremendous job and I think the ASG has proven that they are willing to spend within reason (that equates to up to the luxury tax threshold in my opinion) to be competitive.

All this talk about LA spending $96M on their payroll (actually $91M this year) is irrelevant because their revenue is so much higher. The Lakers have a waiting list for season tickets and their ticket prices are astronomical. It would cost me roughly $6,000 per seat for the Lakers vs $1,250 per seat for the Hawks to sit in the same location that I sit now. That doesn't even take into account the prices of premium seats and luxury suites. It costs TWICE as much to sit courtside for ONE Lakers game as it costs me to watch the Hawks for an entire SEASON. I can get FOUR FULL SEASON TICKETS in the Lower Level at Philips for the price it would cost me and my wife to sit courtside at ONE Lakers' game.

Lakers payroll was $96M last season. What about the financial realities of a Champ.

Yep that right there shows me the extent of your knowledge regarding team finances. You just see 91 mill but don't stop or bother to think how exactly did their payroll get so high. TB, remind me again what major free agent from another team has LA signed before Ron Artest took a paycut to sign there? Doesn't even have to be major, just remind me of any significant FA that LA has signed in the last decade or so for more than the vet minimum.

• Moderators

Yep that right there shows me the extent of your knowledge regarding team finances. You just see 91 mill but don't stop or bother to think how exactly did their payroll get so high. TB, remind me again what major free agent from another team has LA signed before Ron Artest took a paycut to sign there? Doesn't even have to be major, just remind me of any significant FA that LA has signed in the last decade or so for more than the vet minimum.

Gasol. Oh right, he was gift.

I'll admit I haven't read all responses to this post but the premise I think is laughable. Sure I think ASG/Sund are doing an ok job but basically they've taken what 6 years and returned the Hawks to a competitive nba team. I'm not ready to gush over the job they're doing.

Gasol. Oh right, he was gift.

I'll admit I haven't read all responses to this post but the premise I think is laughable. Sure I think ASG/Sund are doing an ok job but basically they've taken what 6 years and returned the Hawks to a competitive nba team. I'm not ready to gush over the job they're doing.

Your mistaken on the premise then. The premise is not to gush over what they have done. It is to retract statements made attacking the level of commitment financially they would have for this team. After the reading the responses I see many of the critics just have an opinion and stick to it. Never mind the evidence or facts.

• Moderators

Your mistaken on the premise then. The premise is not to gush over what they have done. It is to retract statements made attacking the level of commitment financially they would have for this team. After the reading the responses I see many of the critics just have an opinion and stick to it. Never mind the evidence or facts.

I've accused them of being cheap in the past (although I understand their constraints) but one summer of spending money on contracts that frankly they almost HAD to do to protect the value of the franchise doesn't mean they still aren't operating cheaply. I don't know that anyone said they aren't committed financialy. Everyone realizes that they are deeply committed or perhaps over committed financially. That's the problem. I think they want to win, they want to sell tickets, they want a championship, make money as much as any other owner. I also think they don't have the money to spend to make that happen but they're doing the best they can. I'm sure not going to apologize for saying that relying on guys like Flip, Mo, Solo, Morris to be your bench is a cheap way to go. Hell Woody has been saying it for two years.

If you at anytime have called this ownership group cheap or said they wouldn't do what it took to keep this team together, put your apologies here. I also think all talk of ASG not being willing to take the financial burden to make this team better should be buried until they do something in the future to prove they won't. All evidence as of this off-season is that they have spent what is necessary to make this a good team.

ASG ,

You guys suck. If I was bankrupt like you I would have taken the Clippers way, and not spent so much money on a team that has no superstar. Check their business model. They know how to make money. You all are just happy to underpay a bunch of mediocre players and rejoice. No wonder you are on your way to poor house.

Hotlanta81.

Well said Walt and I agree. There are a few minor things I might have done differently but all in all, I think Sund has done a tremendous job and I think the ASG has proven that they are willing to spend within reason (that equates to up to the luxury tax threshold in my opinion) to be competitive.

All this talk about LA spending $96M on their payroll (actually $91M this year) is irrelevant because their revenue is so much higher. The Lakers have a waiting list for season tickets and their ticket prices are astronomical. It would cost me roughly $6,000 per seat for the Lakers vs $1,250 per seat for the Hawks to sit in the same location that I sit now. That doesn't even take into account the prices of premium seats and luxury suites. It costs TWICE as much to sit courtside for ONE Lakers game as it costs me to watch the Hawks for an entire SEASON. I can get FOUR FULL SEASON TICKETS in the Lower Level at Philips for the price it would cost me and my wife to sit courtside at ONE Lakers' game.

Such a valid point!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We can't spend like them because we don't bring in money like them, comparing us to the lakers was just retarded!

Who cares if they're cheap. They obviously don't have a clue how to field a championship team. Here we are over the cap and, as noted by both HC and our GM, we're only a 4th place team in the East. That's not good ownership/management regardless if you're cheap or not. Our money is spent and we're not looking to be better than 7th place in the leage. Not good.

• Premium Member

Who cares if they're cheap. They obviously don't have a clue how to field a championship team. Here we are over the cap and, as noted by both HC and our GM, we're only a 4th place team in the East. That's not good ownership/management regardless if you're cheap or not. Our money is spent and we're not looking to be better than 7th place in the leage. Not good.

LOL @ our fan base!

LOL @ our fan base!

You can lol all you want. I'm laughing at your position too. I encourage the Hawks players at all times because I enjoy Bball and the Hawks have been my team since about 1975. From management and owners I have NO such allegience. to me they're businessmen running a business. i expect them to do the best possible to help the players to achieve the best possible results. I could care less about their bank accounts. it's their job to run a profitable business. Two ways to do that; slash payroll, lower tic prices, cut cost and prey to break even or invest, win and increase revenue. I know which solution I vote for.

I SEE NO REASON TO BE AN OWNER HOMIE. Little too close to the brown nose reality for me.

• Like 1

I'm also amused by the logic of some. Days of arguing about cap realities as the reason for our mediocre moves, then when I bring up the reality that the winners are the spenders, the argument becomes: we can't compete financailly with LA. I expect the ASG (or any other owners) to invest in winning at the highest level.

I wish that our national sports business's would either adhere to a strict cap (parity) or just drop the hypocricy of the soft cap. Seems some people want to pretend that teams are playing on a level field. Seems some other people are quite happy to accept the sports and competition in an unequal environment and actually accept being a seventh or eight best team. Reminds me of social class realities. You know; know your place and shut up. When some of us speak out against the complacency and expect true, equal competition, others tell us to remember we're just Hawks fans.

• Like 1

You can lol all you want. I'm laughing at your position too. I encourage the Hawks players at all times because I enjoy Bball and the Hawks have been my team since about 1975. From management and owners I have NO such allegience. to me they're businessmen running a business. i expect them to do the best possible to help the players to achieve the best possible results. I could care less about their bank accounts. it's their job to run a profitable business. Two ways to do that; slash payroll, lower tic prices, cut cost and prey to break even or invest, win and increase revenue. I know which solution I vote for.

I SEE NO REASON TO BE AN OWNER HOMIE. Little too close to the brown nose reality for me.

Man, please! Every owner doesn't have the deep pockets of Mark Cuban, Paul Allen or Dan Gilbert. It's easy to say just go out and lose tens of millions of dollars each year and look at it as an investment when it is not YOUR money.

Man, please! Every owner doesn't have the deep pockets of Mark Cuban, Paul Allen or Dan Gilbert. It's easy to say just go out and lose tens of millions of dollars each year and look at it as an investment when it is not YOUR money.

EXACTLY!

If you want my position on the whole thing, see my hard cap argument. Set a hard cap at a figure, restrict FA movement and maybe we can get the Bball back from the business. You draft, you develop, you keep your players with little player movement and Bball become a home team reality again. I like what the NFL does with FA's. Sign a FA, lose a pick. Lose a FA gain a pick.

I'm also amused by the logic of some. Days of arguing about cap realities as the reason for our mediocre moves, then when I bring up the reality that the winners are the spenders, the argument becomes: we can't compete financailly with LA. I expect the ASG (or any other owners) to invest in winning at the highest level.

I wish that our national sports business's would either adhere to a strict cap (parity) or just drop the hypocricy of the soft cap. Seems some people want to pretend that teams are playing on a level field. Seems some other people are quite happy to accept the sports and competition in an unequal environment and actually accept being a seventh or eight best team. Reminds me of social class realities. You know; know your place and shut up. When some of us speak out against the complacency and expect true, equal competition, others tell us to remember we're just Hawks fans.

Newsflash, we can't compete financially with LA. You can "expect" whatever you want but the ASG can't afford to spend $91M on payroll. VERY few teams can.

Maybe if you go down and buy a luxury suite this season, the ASG will spend more money. Maybe if more fans show up and start supporting a team that won 31 games at home last year, the ASG will spend more money.

Exceeding the luxury tax to sign a superstar is one thing. Refusing to exceed the luxury tax to sign the 4th big man in your rotation to a multi-year deal makes perfect sense to me.

Newsflash, we can't compete financially with LA. You can "expect" whatever you want but the ASG can't afford to spend $91M on payroll. VERY few teams can.

Maybe if you go down and buy a luxury suite this season, the ASG will spend more money. Maybe if more fans show up and start supporting a team that won 31 games at home last year, the ASG will spend more money.

Exceeding the luxury tax to sign a superstar is one thing. Refusing to exceed the luxury tax to sign the 4th big man in your rotation to a multi-year deal makes perfect sense to me.

He should also keep in mind that the Lakers are spending $91m on players they drafted and traded for and not on free agents which is really what blows a hole in his argument and paltry understanding of the CBA. But meh social class and what not, carry on.

EXACTLY!

If you want my position on the whole thing, see my hard cap argument. Set a hard cap at a figure, restrict FA movement and maybe we can get the Bball back from the business. You draft, you develop, you keep your players with little player movement and Bball become a home team reality again. I like what the NFL does with FA's. Sign a FA, lose a pick. Lose a FA gain a pick.

A hard cap would probably make a lot of owners happy and it would certainly level the playing field more. That said, it would also likely devalue franchises like LA, NY and BOS and I don't see them going for it.