• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks Need Bruce Bowen

wolvetigers

The Hawks had a pretty good offseason for once, however we need some more veteran grit to anchor our bench and strengthen our locker room. We all know Joe is a quiet type who doesnt necessarily lead vocally. Bibby is solid and Joe Smith helps our depth, but no one on our team knows what its like to win a title. I'm not saying the Hawks will compete for a title, b/c we just dont have the man power to contend with the big 4, but we can develop the toughness to compete. it takes Bruce Bowen has been on a winning team with the Spurs. Besides maybe he can help Josh Smith and Marvin Williams out a bit. Hell we extend JJ and add Bruce Bowen I would give our offseason a A-

• Premium Member

The Hawks had a pretty good offseason for once, however we need some more veteran grit to anchor our bench and strengthen our locker room. We all know Joe is a quiet type who doesnt necessarily lead vocally. Bibby is solid and Joe Smith helps our depth, but no one on our team knows what its like to win a title. I'm not saying the Hawks will compete for a title, b/c we just dont have the man power to contend with the big 4, but we can develop the toughness to compete. it takes Bruce Bowen has been on a winning team with the Spurs. Besides maybe he can help Josh Smith and Marvin Williams out a bit. Hell we extend JJ and add Bruce Bowen I would give our offseason a A-

Most Spurs' fans seemed to think Bowen was no longer an impact player on defense, meaning he'd likely be a downgrade from Mo Evans.

Most Spurs' fans seemed to think Bowen was no longer an impact player on defense, meaning he'd likely be a downgrade from Mo Evans.

I wondered about us still adding him, but I think if we add anything more than what we've got, it needs to a vet big body. I don't see enough minutes going around at the SF position as is. See my breakdown below:

Bibby-30 @ PG

Johnson-26 @ SG+10 @ SF=36

Williams-30 @ SF

Smith-33 @ PF+2 @ C=35

Horford-22 @ C+8 @ PF=30

Crawford-10 @ PG+17 @ SG=27

Smith-7 @ PF+8 @ C=15

Pachulia-16 @ C

Evans-8 @ SF+5 @ SG=13

Teague-8 @ PG

That's a quality 10 man rotation with decent distribution. I think we'll see alot of times with either of the Smiths and Horford on the floor at the same time so some of those PF/C minutes are flip-flopped, but you get the gest of what I was doing.

Bowen is 38 years old. He had a good run.

anyone have any good suggestions of a tough player under the age of 32? do younger players play "d"? i know we've had mario, but i'd say he's more tenacious than a tough d player. his heart is in the right place, but he's not crafty enough to lock down the best players. he still gets smoked by smarter and better players.

Pretty good? As compared to what Hawks off season in recent memory? Considering all the players Sund needed to address, I think this off season was great. Just going through what we've been going through for a decade, in comparison, this off season was awesome. Anyway, I think Joe Smith addressed the veteran grit you mentioned. With Bibby and Old Joe, we have some guys with experience. Added to that, we have JJ, who's no spring chicken...who's been here. Smoove is young, but not young as far as time in the league, and time with one team. Im not suggesting Joe, or Smoove, needs to step up as leader....my point is these young guys aren't young anymore. They shouldn't need as much vet presence for motivation.

Hey I hate going against Bowen because he's tough and can be a bit of a dirty defender at times but I would love to have him on our team. He's old but im sure he can still defend better than most SFs in the league at 38 yrs old. I would sign him for the minimum and let him play 5-10 min a night similar to the role Mario West played..he can guard Kobe and LeBron and those guys for us..im all for it..doubt it will happen tho. I think the only thing Hawks will end up doing is signing Siler before season starts which I would be happy with. This offseason has been good tho. Good job Sund

Bruce Bowen is not a productive player..His talents in the past were defense and an occasional three. He isn't even worth a spot at the end of the bench on the Spurs team. I feel it would be more productive to use that flyer on a younger player that can develop. I don't mean any scrub but someone who has at least shown something and can continue to develop. In the mold of Othello Hunter but someone at the 3 spot.