• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

realgm: Should The Hawks Consider Trading Joe Johnson?

jerrywest

Can't say I disagree with the article. I have a hunch, and it is nothing more than a hunch, that he is looking for bigger money elsewhere. If I have to guess the probability that he will be back for us, I'd say around 33%--especially if we don't make it out of the second round.

One thing is likely true though, he may get offered more money, but he will likely not be treated as the team's superstar and #1 option if Joe opts to don a different uniform--you know, unless he goes to a really bad or dysfunctional team.

Isn't 70 mil/5 years a loss for him when he could have had $60 mil for 4 years?

Thats $1 mil less per year.

LOL . . damn.

JJ may not be worth 20 million, but he's going to get more than 14 - 15 million.

It's amazing to me how people expect a 3-time all-star ( consecutively ), to just settle for the first offer the organization gives him. An offer [edited] which is basically an extension of the per year payout of his current contract. [/edited]

If they trade him, they better make the right trade, or it could be disasterous.

He's a top 5 SG in the NBA, and he's gonna get paid.

If not by us, by somebody.

Edited by northcyde

If they trade him, they better make the right trade, or it could be disasterous.

If we don't trade him it could more disastrous. We really need to see where his head is at. I am thinking he wants a max deal. He is not worth that.

LOL . . damn.

JJ may not be worth 20 million, but he's going to get more than 14 - 15 million.

It's amazing to me how people expect a 3-time all-star ( consecutively ), to just settle for the first offer the organization gives him. An offer [edited] which is basically an extension of the per year payout of his current contract. [/edited]

Well said !

Anyone stop to think that maybe it's not all about the amount per year but also that 5th and 6th year that he would only be eligible for next season? With all this 2010 talk, especially over at RealGM, part of the advantages that fanbases are using for their free agent not leaving is the years and pay raises that only their team can give them. Why would Joe not only forgo waiting to see his market value but also leave himself searching for yet another new contract earlier that will not be anywhere near as lucrative?

Anyone stop to think that maybe it's not all about the amount per year but also that 5th and 6th year that he would only be eligible for next season? With all this 2010 talk, especially over at RealGM, part of the advantages that fanbases are using for their free agent not leaving is the years and pay raises that only their team can give them. Why would Joe not only forgo waiting to see his market value but also leave himself searching for yet another new contract earlier that will not be anywhere near as lucrative?

Great point that was addresed in another post as well. The real problem for fans is not knowing how high our management is willing to go in order to secure our player. Its a complete unknown; and all anyone can do is speculate on what offers he will get and what we would match.

Hmm on further inspection, why further tie up capspace by trading Joe for longer contracts?

Let him walk, we have Crawful and oh have we forgotten about Chills?

Deep draft too in 2010, over a dozen centers if they declare, going to have an early 20s pick plus our second and maybe Houston's second.

Got this year's second round draft pick, SG Segiy Gladyr.

That would be an ASG friendly lineup no?

Hmm on further inspection, why further tie up capspace by trading Joe for longer contracts?

Deep draft too in 2010, over a dozen centers if they declare, going to have an early 20s pick plus our second and maybe Houston's second.

Primarily so we don't fall off the playoff map not this year but next. A early twenties pick is a crap shoot at best. Lose JJ for nothing; we go back to being a contender for the 8th playoff spot if we are lucky. I like Crawford; but if we swap him for JJ and do not have at least one all-star playing for us to start 2010, we struggle to stay out of the lottery. Its that simple.

Primarily so we don't fall off the playoff map not this year but next. A early twenties pick is a crap shoot at best. Lose JJ for nothing; we go back to being a contender for the 8th playoff spot if we are lucky. I like Crawford; but if we swap him for JJ and do not have at least one all-star playing for us to start 2010, we struggle to stay out of the lottery. Its that simple.

I understand that all to well just wanted to put some hope in the hearts of the doom and gloom crew. I figured the Chills fanboyism would soften any blow of Joe leaving.

JJ, our three time all star!

Trivia questions: How many times has JJ been ELECTED to play in the all star game?

With three chances to show his stuff, how many times has he been one of the stars?

Don't get me wrong. I like JJ. He has been a really good player for the Hawks. He came

here to be a big frog in a little pond, rather than being a small frog in a big pond. In this

he has been successful. Superior player on the Hawks. And, the very favorite Hawk player

for Woodson.

Would I consider trading JJ? You bet! But, only if the price is right. He shouldn't come cheap.

To lose him for nothing at the end of the season? It's possible. That's another reason to consider

trading him.

Well there is something to be said for having a lot of salary on the team, especially a big one like Joe, so that you can make blockbuster deals. That's why you can't just let him walk. If we constantly hover around the salary cap then we'll likely never have a team that can compete for the championship and I think that the ASG knows that and that's why they've said they'll go over the luxury tax for a championship contender.

LOL . . damn.

That's not saying much considering there isn't much talent at the 2 guard spot in the league right now. That's like pointing out that ZaZa is a top ten center right now.