• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Mike Bibby = Coach?

Diesel

• Premium Member

During the latter part of his career, Mark Jackson was basically the play caller for his teams. He was a coach on the field. So much so that anytime a job opens, MJ's name is thrown in the hat.. without him having real coaching experience.

I was listening to Bibby on 790. He basically said that he runs the offense. He's the playcaller on the floor. Do you think that Bibby will be coaching material in the NBA? Remember his father is a coach!

During the latter part of his career, Mark Jackson was basically the play caller for his teams. He was a coach on the field. So much so that anytime a job opens, MJ's name is thrown in the hat.. without him having real coaching experience.

I was listening to Bibby on 790. He basically said that he runs the offense. He's the playcaller on the floor. Do you think that Bibby will be coaching material in the NBA? Remember his father is a coach!

I think it's possible. Mostly because of your last sentence, his Dad. Which makes me wonder, what kind of conversations Henry Bibby and his son have concerning the Hawks offense?? I bet it would be interesting to hear....

Mark Jackson is an assistant with T'Wolves now I believe. 2nd all time on the assist list with below average athletic ability = a smart player.

Bibby definately seems like coaching material. He seems to relate very well with players and his dad was a solid pro before becoming a coach. Bibby was by far the most vocal player during the live scrimmage yesterday and conversed directly with Woody more then any one else. Whenever Woody would give specific directions to a player they would all say uh........OK, accept for Bibby. Bibby would converse with Woody and get more specific.

I could see him becoming a coach. He is very vocal and leads the team smoothly. He has it in his genes. I didn't think Mike got along with his father though. If someone can confirm that that would be solid.

I have no source on that either but I too heard that Mike and his father weren't close at all stemming from even his Grizzlies days.

Before this breaks down into the Days of our lives... Do you think it's possible in this day to have Bibby as a player-coach?

I don't know about the CBA, but would the league allow this?

In way he already is.........you don't have to give that lable to him in order for him to essential play that role. He is alwayse in Woody's ear and is the most vocal player on the court when it comes to talking substance and communicating plays and strategy.

Edited by coachx

In way he already is.........you don't have to give that lable to him in order for him to essential play that role. He is alwayse in Woody's ear and is the most vocal player on the court when it comes to talking substance and communicating plays and strategy.

That was so evident at the training camp

Before this breaks down into the Days of our lives... Do you think it's possible in this day to have Bibby as a player-coach?

I don't know about the CBA, but would the league allow this?

"Like sands through the hour glass, so are ...." lol

I don't think it's possible to have a player-coach in the NBA. It's not like when baseball used to perform this act...Call me crazy, but I think throughout the course of a game, a basketball coach must make quick, impromptu decisions on the fly in a fast paced game...as opposed to baseball when you have plenty of time to think about a crucial decision. Bibby has enough to worry about running the team, let alone making the decisions that may or may not affect the outcome.

• Premium Member

"Like sands through the hour glass, so are ...." lol

I don't think it's possible to have a player-coach in the NBA. It's not like when baseball used to perform this act...Call me crazy, but I think throughout the course of a game, a basketball coach must make quick, impromptu decisions on the fly in a fast paced game...as opposed to baseball when you have plenty of time to think about a crucial decision. Bibby has enough to worry about running the team, let alone making the decisions that may or may not affect the outcome.

Don't be fooled, there have been many player coaches in basketball. I think the last 2 were Lenny Wilkens and Magic Johnson. Johnson was a special situation and short lived but Wilkens won a championship as P-C.

Don't be fooled, there have been many player coaches in basketball. I think the last 2 were Lenny Wilkens and Magic Johnson. Johnson was a special situation and short lived but Wilkens won a championship as P-C.

I'm not being fooled. If the last two were Lenny and Magic...I haven't been alive enough to experience "many". And I'm old.

• Premium Member

I'm not being fooled. If the last two were Lenny and Magic...I haven't been alive enough to experience "many". And I'm old.

In Lenny's day there were several... Including Bill Russell, Paul Seymour and Mike Dunleavy Sr. There were others especially in the ABA. However, Russell and Wilkens won championships so they are best remembered. I just found out that the new CBA prevents it. Even though there was talk of Aaron McKie being an assistant coach/Player a few years ago.