• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Article on Josh Smith's growth from AJC

coachx

http://www.ajc.com/sports/atlanta-hawks/all-coming-together-for-195516.html

Here are some direct quotes from the article.

"He's been fantastic," coach Mike Woodson said. "He's improved. To me, he's managing the game better. That's important. That's the sign of a guy that's growing."

Said Woodson, "We try to put him in positions where he can make plays offensively, but he's been great for us just from a defensive standpoint of blocking shots and rebounding the ball."

Smith, Woodson and others cite Smith's increasing understanding of the game for his improved play.

"It's just me having another year under my belt, getting experiences that I need," said Smith.

"I’m not putting a lot of pressure on myself because we have a lot of guys that are offensively skilled," he said. "I can focus on different aspects of my game [and] definitely on the defensive end."

Woodson calls it a heightened awareness of "time, score and situation." The importance of Smith's shot selection is underscored by the fact that the Hawks' only two losses coincided with Smith's only two games shooting under 50 percent from the field.

"This is my sixth year," Smith said. "I'm still young, but I'm understanding more about possessions and knowing that every possession is precious."

Said guard Joe Johnson, "As long as we keep him around the basket on both ends of the court, he's going to be a heck of a player."

"Now it's all coming together for me," Smith said. "I still have a lot to learn, but I'm starting to figure a lot of stuff out."

Edited by coachx

• Premium Member

But i thought Smith was better at the 3. :snowballfight:

Yup. I'm still waiting for someone to explain to me why on earth we would want one of the league's best interior help defenders (if not THE best interior help defender) - and one whose offensive skills are overwhelmingly better when he gets the ball inside rather than outside - to spend most of his time at a wing position. :question:

Edited by niremetal

• Moderators

Yup. I'm still waiting for someone to explain to me why on earth we would want one of the league's best interior help defenders (if not THE best interior help defender) - and one whose offensive skills are overwhelmingly better when he gets the ball inside rather than outside - to spend most of his time at a wing position. :question:

Although we occasionally see someone say this, I think that ship has sailed and even Marvin's harshest critics or Al Horford's biggest supporters are no longer are pushing for Josh Smith to be at the 3.

• Premium Member

Although we occasionally see someone say this, I think that ship has sailed and even Marvin's harshest critics or Al Horford's biggest supporters are no longer are pushing for Josh Smith to be at the 3.

Over on AJC, I still see the occasional Marvin-hater suggesting trading Marvin for a mediocre big man and shifting Josh to SF. Only one "regular" suggests that, though, and he's an even more visceral (not to mention single-minded) Marvin basher than Diesel. (Although with the way Marvin looks right now, I'm starting to at least understand the harsh criticism - just not enough that I think shifting Josh to SF is a reasonable alternative)

Edited by niremetal

I am hoping the Smoove makes KG look old and over the hill..................instead of KG making Smoove look young and dumb.

Hopefully Smoove will stay agressive by running the floor in transition and attacking the rim in the half court. Make KG work and stay out of foul trouble.