• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Atlanta Home of Broken Superstar

HawkItus

Is it me or does Joe Johnson really fit the mold of an Atlanta star to the T? Think about the guys that come through here. The ones that end up staying never truly end up being all they can be. Yes Chipper got a ring, but he was one of the few who got to a play a season with multiple Atlanta stars. The ones who do go on to great things leave this city. All this makes me wonder how big of a student of history is Joe Johnson? Honestly, if he wants a title he might be best served getting the heck out of the Atlanta sports scene.

• Like 1

Is it me or does Joe Johnson really fit the mold of an Atlanta star to the T? Think about the guys that come through here. The ones that end up staying never truly end up being all they can be. Yes Chipper got a ring, but he was one of the few who got to a play a season with multiple Atlanta stars. The ones who do go on to great things leave this city. All this makes me wonder how big of a student of history is Joe Johnson? Honestly, if he wants a title he might be best served getting the heck out of the Atlanta sports scene.

I don't think JJ's coming back after this year.

Edited by RMJ

I don't think he'll leave Atlanta to play for a team like NY. I see him in a Dallas or Cleveland uniform next year if he wants to play for a title contender.

I'm telling you if NY offers Joe some insane amount of money he is leaving. I mean the guy left a great Suns team to join a 13 win team.

I'm telling you if NY offers Joe some insane amount of money he is leaving. I mean the guy left a great Suns team to join a 13 win team.

I hope his wants at 24 have changed at 29.

I would hope he cares more about winning now then rebuilding for a 2nd time.

If not..............enjoy those pleasant NJ falls, winters, and springs (time of the year he will be forced to live there.)

Edited by coachx

Exactly. Which is why I am shocked why we want to ride this thing out. With JJ gone (and us not getting anyone) we are a 30-40 win team at best.

And get who? Some more role players to fill his spot?

I bet people would jump for joy, if JJ was traded for any of these guys:

- Kevin Martin

- Monta Ellis

- Michael Redd

- Jason Richardson

- a good young player + a 1st round draft pick

You thin we're any better than a 45 win team with any of those guys? Some of them can score better than JJ, but they're horrible defensive players.

The problem with Atlanta sports is NOT the superstar. It's the ownership and management that FAILS to get talented players around that superstar. And most of it is due to them being too cheap to bring in talent.

Seriously . . when Atlanta franchises have decided to spend money to either keep star players or bring in a star player, the teams have been good. Maybe not championship level al the time, but very good.

What I don't get, is how does paying JJ "market value" ( whatever that value is set at ), hurt our playoff and championship aspiration? If the market says he's worth 15 mill a year, so be it. If the market says he's worth 18.5 mill a year, so be it.

Regardless of what WE think he's worth, retaining him keeps us at playoff leveL. And since there's no one out there who can get us to championship level, we might as well stick with what we got, until they peak ( and they haven't peaked as a team yet ).

But we do know this, going into next summer:

- we can't get one of the big boys

- we're not getting any lottery picks

- we can at least keep the core together one more year, before having to decide to let Crawford go and deal with HORFORD'S upcoming bump in salary

- and the dynamic in the East could totally change, if Wade and/or Lebron decide to go to lesser teams for more money, while we stay together.

Seriously . . . would some of you want Sund and the ASG to refuse to pay JJ 18 mill a year ( 5yr - 90 mill ), if that was his market value? Really?

Why?

Because he's not worth that kind of money? So to prevent from doing that, you spend less money on a lesser star player that may or may not gel with our squad?

You don't do like Isaiah and the Knicks did, and pay premium prices for mediocre players. isaiah would paid Marvin 12 mill a year, based on potential. Bibby would've gotten a 3yr - 30 mill deal. That's not how you win. You don't pay premium prices to mediocre players.

But in this league, you dang well better be willing to pay premium prices for all-star caliber players. Why?

Because cheap teams don't win championships!