• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Horford is Dwight's All-Star Backup C, right?

lethalweapon3

• Moderators

If coaches were bound to filling out their All-Star rosters the way fans were with their ballots, the Eastern Conference coach would have to pick among the following centers (in order by first-ballot voting):

Shaq Daddy

Bargnani

Horford

Bogut

B. Lopez

Jerm Daddy

Sheed

Perkins

B. Miller

Chandler

Dalembert

**Noah? (not on the ballot... somehow...)

The East coach (assumed to become Doc Rivers, for the moment) may just try to load up on forwards to complement sureshot fan selection Dwight Howard. But of the likely All-Star candidates at forward, only Chris Bosh is capable of minutes at center.

Out of that group, the only players with comparable/superior individual stats to Horford are Lopez, Noah, and Perkins. If team success matters, and assuming the Nets continue to go about 5-Infinity and the Bulls remain mired in/near last place in their division, by the All-Star break, Doc Rivers may be tempted to pass up on Horford and reward his Texas native Perkins with a trip to Dallas. But while Perkins has improved and is a key contributor, Horford's play is more likely to be viewed as a focal point to his team's success.

I'd pencil in Horford as an All-Star selection for a reserve Center... but should his name be jotted down in permanent ink?

~lw3

I don't think Horford will ever get his "just do" because he plays out of position.

Just my my opinion.

He'll get passed over again and again. Hopefully the Hawks can win an NBA Title, I'm thinking that is what it will take for Joe Johnson, Josh Smith, and Al Horford to get their just due.

Edited by gsuteke

Pencil him in? I'd put major money that he doesn't get in. I think that between Lopez, Bogut, Perkins (if Doc's picking) and "pretend Bosh is a center" that Horford is at best 10% to make it.

Whether he deserves it is a whole different discussion but who actually makes the allstar game is far different than who deserves to make it.

Edited by spotatl

He should get in. His numbers have taken a bit of a hit with all of the blowouts. I won't be surprise to see him get passed over. JJ will prob be our only All-Star once again this year.

I really think Josh will get the nod this year. He needs to maintain his league-wide lead in blocks and high shooting percentage and he's a lock.

It will either be Horford, Lopez, or Bogut unless they pull a cheap shot and let Bosh player center.

Our two all-stars will be JJ and Smoove..and we should be dang proud of it. Al Horford may be a PF/C playing Center...but he isn't anywhere near the type of guy who would be an all-star at PF - at least not yet. Having a developing medium range jumper and being able to rebound and dunk doesn't put you in the all-star game at #4. Granted there are many more things that Al does that we see...but the Hawks are just now getting recognition. Al is closer to being an all-star center..but he won't get there at that position this year either. Al is a bigtime player for our team..and that may be all he can be this year...but he is valuable as h#ll and everybody in the league knows it.

:help wanted3:

Haven't checked recently, but AI was far ahead of JJ for the 2 guard spot on the all star team.

This was before his trade back to the 76ers. I believe he had made token appearances only

while JJ was leading the Hawks to a solid #3 in the east.

All Star starters are voted on, not from how good they are playing this season or how good

their team is playing. Nope. They are voted for because these are the players I would pay

to see play.

I would love to see AI play - - Wouldn't that be great! Joe Johnson? Who is that? Who does

he play for? What do you mean he plays the same position as AI?

Then, the coaches select the remainder of the team? I suppose this is correct. Do you insult

one of your own players by selecting an opponent? Not if it's close. You gotta work with your

player the remainder of the year. Can't have him mad at you over this.

:stirthepot:

All Star starters are voted on, not from how good they are playing this season or how good

their team is playing. Nope. They are voted for because these are the players I would pay

to see play.

Granted that is pretty much tongue-in-cheek G-M...but truth of the matter the all-star weekend is becoming way more of a show than an actual sporting event. I would liken it to today's MLB game. Few give a hoot about the actual "game" but everybody loves the homerun derby. Therefore, the "Horse" game should be expanded. No, not the boring "Horse" game we saw last year - spice it up!

10 seconds between shots - drop kicks allowed - anything goes. And let anybody who wants to participate play - have divisional play leading up to the superbowl of "Horse" Get some amatuers in there too. It could be like the WSOP (world series of poker). I'd love to see O.J Mayo going up against Fred from Milwaukee in the finals. I can hear the announcers now: "well O.J. has been on fire with the extended range jumpers but I'm not sure he can match Fred's "off the head and elbow layup".............now a word from our sponsors.

lol yal are a trip.

as for the question, I realistically see Horf having a 25% chance of making it. his competition after Dwight is selected is:

Chris Bosh-same reasons as stated before (he may be used as a PF/C)

Brook Lopez- yes his team sucks but like Josh, he has league wide recognition as an up and coming star, thus his USA hoops invite this summer, plus he has the numbers to validate a selection.

Shaq- Good thing the fans dont pick the bench or he would be a shoe in right now, but even still, with the number of votes he does have, the coaches might feel the need to pick him. He definately does not deserve it this year but he has been a lock for the game every year since forever and the coaches may be tempted to stay with the norm.

If the coaches pick on the basis of who is the the best remaining center on the best remaining team in the East after Dwight Howard, then Horfords the pick. If they decide on who is the 2nd best overall center in the East then Lopez is the pick. If they choose by who is the best player who can play mins center then its Bosh, if its who do the fans want to watch the most its Shaq.