• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Woody: Teague MUST wait behind vets

TheNorthCydeRises

Mike Woodson believes point guard Jeff Teague will run the Hawks one day.

It’s just not going to happen on this team, at this time.

“I don’t have to rush Teague,” Woodson said. “I’ve got confidence in Teague. But [Mike] Bibby and Jamal [Crawford] have carried the load at the [point].

“I feel good about Teague and what he brings to the table. Eventually Teague will run this team, I think. But I don’t have to throw him to the wolves like I did those other guys.”

Read the rest of the article by clicking on the link.

http://www.ajc.com/sports/atlanta-hawks/woodson-says-teague-must-277757.html

Now that the coach has officially stated where Teague stands, there's no sense in worrying about the guy's playing time the rest of the year. He's going to play when he plays. But Woody isn't going to put him out there in situations in which he can hurt the team. Teague needs to talk to Mario about how to maximize 3 - 5 minutes in a game.

LOL. When did Woody throw any rookie pg to the wolves? Woud it be throwing him to the wolves to let him play 15 minutes when Bibby is off? I think not.

Woody also said he wasn't telling Smith not to shoot 3s. Does that mean we shouldn't have worried about Smith shooting 3s?

Woody said he doesn't give a s*** about the offense. Does that mean we shouldn't give a s*** about these 4th quarter offensive meltdowns?

Edited by exodus

• Premium Member

Now that the coach has officially stated where Teague stands, there's no sense in worrying about the guy's playing time the rest of the year. He's going to play when he plays. But Woody isn't going to put him out there in situations in which he can hurt the team. Teague needs to talk to Mario about how to maximize 3 - 5 minutes in a game.

Sorry man but that makes Woody look pretty bad. What happens to the team if Bibby gets injured? Banking everything on an aging player is a high risk proposition. Not saying that Bibby is injury prone but we do know that he'll miss some games during a long season due to injury. Woody has to accept dropping a few games (more likely periods) if it gives the team a better shot to do big things in the long run.

If Bibby gets injured, then Teague will play like Royal Ivey did. He may opt to start Teague in the first and third quarters, then go with Crawford at the point the rest of the way. This is the argument that I was making with Joe Smith at the beginning of the year, when a lot of you were saying that he should play 10 - 15 minutes a night at PF. No he shouldn't. Not when Al Horford can slide over to PF if he's teamed with Zaza. And not when Marvin can also play PF if need be. If you have better players who can play a position, you play the better player.

But there's no way you give Teague 15 minutes a night right now, when he's shooting 36% FG and can't finish at the rim and can't hit a jumper. And you definitely don't do it when you have Crawford who can play the point. Like spotatl said, Jamal is our backup PG, no matter how much people want to deny it. It's not Teague. Teague is 3rd string and our 9th/10th man in the rotation. If Mario keeps playing defense and impacting games, Teague is going to be the 10th/11th man.

Edited by northcyde

Sorry man but that makes Woody look pretty bad. What happens to the team if Bibby gets injured? Banking everything on an aging player is a high risk proposition. Not saying that Bibby is injury prone but we do know that he'll miss some games during a long season due to injury. Woody has to accept dropping a few games (more likely periods) if it gives the team a better shot to do big things in the long run.

Nine . . . people freak out every time we lose a game. So if we lost games because Teague is playing a set 15 minutes a night, people would lose their minds.

If we were 23 - 17, people would be calling to have Woody fired. No way Woody is going to develop a PG that can't shoot, when he himself doesn't even have a contract on the table as the future Hawks coach. He's going to try to win as many games as he can, in case the Hawks do fire him ( for whatever reason ) at the end of the year.

If Bibby or Crawford goes down, he'll have no choice but to go with Teague. If Teague produces, great. If he doesn't, they'll have to go out and pick up somebody . . anybody, who can somewhat play the position.

The Lakers have Ron Artest and Lamar Odom . . . both who can play SF. So who does that affect? It affects a guy who has actually contributed ( Luke Walton ) and a guy who was the 3rd pick in the 2006 draft ( Adam Morrison ). Phil Jackson could give a dang about those 2 guys and their development. Phil has his 2 SFs and his 8 guys that he rolls with on most nights, and he leaves it at that. Smart coaching if you ask me.

Woodson doesn't know how to use players to the team's best advantage.

Here is how I would use Teague:

When ever we go on an extended cold streak or rely too much on perimeter jumpers, I would put him in and tell him to drive it to the hole.

This will change things up and hopefully get us back into the game.

Thats all he needs to do. Teague is super quick and should be used like this.

Woodson doesn't know how to use players to the team's best advantage.

Here is how I would use Teague:

When ever we go on an extended cold streak or rely too much on perimeter jumpers, I would put him in and tell him to drive it to the hole.

This will change things up and hopefully get us back into the game.

Thats all he needs to do. Teague is super quick and should be used like this.

from http://www.nba.com/hotspots

Bibby: 22 - 38 on shots close to the rim ( 58% )

Teague: 28 - 67 on shots close to the rim ( 41% )

What part of that is hard to understand? So you would have Teague going to the rim, and missing a layup, but expecting that to get us back into the game?

You all keep talking about how the coach isn't this and the coach isn't that, but you want him to play a guy who can't make a close range shot 45% of the time, and can't make a midrange jumper? Meanwhile, you take your best 3 point shooter out of the game . . . or you don't play your combo guard who can score, at the point?

Does that really make sense?

Edited by northcyde

from http://www.nba.com/hotspots

Bibby: 22 - 38 on shots close to the rim ( 58% )

Teague: 28 - 67 on shots close to the rim ( 41% )

What part of that is hard to understand? So you would have Teague going to the rim, and missing a layup, but expecting that to get us back into the game?

You all keep talking about how the coach isn't this and the coach isn't that, but you want him to play a guy who can't make a close range shot 45% of the time, and can't make a midrange jumper? Meanwhile, you take your best 3 point shooter out of the game . . . or you don't play your combo guard who can score, at the point?

Does that really make sense?

Bibby only drives when there is an open lane anyways..... This proves one thing only, Teague needs more playing time so he can learn how to finish around the rim.... I know you defend Woody all the time, but the truth is that he is not doing good job developing Jeff...

Mike Woodson believes point guard Jeff Teague will run the Hawks one day.

It’s just not going to happen on this team, at this time.

“I don’t have to rush Teague,” Woodson said. “I’ve got confidence in Teague. But [Mike] Bibby and Jamal [Crawford] have carried the load at the [point].

“I feel good about Teague and what he brings to the table. Eventually Teague will run this team, I think. But I don’t have to throw him to the wolves like I did those other guys.”

Read the rest of the article by clicking on the link.

http://www.ajc.com/sports/atlanta-hawks/woodson-says-teague-must-277757.html

What load is Bibby carrying?

Teague's skill lies in his quickness and ability to get to the rim. The problem is that not only can he not finish but the opposing team knows he's going to do this. If you watched yesterday's game and his previous appearances, teams practically know he can't shoot and he won't shoot. They play the "Josh Smith defense" on him with the main difference being that Teague won't hoist it up but rather drive at a 7footer.

Just yesterday after good ball movement he was left open at the left corner 3. What did he do? His defender lazily closed out and Teague still passed up the shot, drove into the defense, had nothing and gave it up for the team to reset with the shot clocking ticking. These are things a player works on on his own time or in practice, not while games that affect the standings are on the line.

He is a rookie and you expect these things but at the same time, because he is a rookie, I don't understand why people expect positive production right away if he's just given the minutes. I constantly read where Teague ranks in per48s but by that same merit, why aren't we arguing for RandMo to get more minutes? His per36s alone have him averaging 20 and 10 yet I don't see the "Why didn't Woody play RandMo" threads anywhere.

Ug, this makes me sick! Yes north, Crawford CAN play Point Guard, but that doesn't mean he SHOULD play Point Guard full time. That would not be advantageous to our already disoriented "offensive scheme." You said that if Bibby goes down (and he could--no team stays completely healthy), Teague MIGHT start like the 1st and 3rd quarters, and then Crawford will take over. Ok...but with just 8.9 MPG, he isn't at all ready to contribute in that way. Heck, he can't even get decent minutes in some blowouts...and now you think Woody could START HIM the 1st and 3rd quarters? Puh-lease! If Bibby goes down, Crawford will start. Bank on it. And like you said, Woodson is trying to win as many games as he can because he has no contract (or in case he isn't retained). So between Crawford and Teague, which will Woodson start to, in his mind, give him the best chance of winning? Don't give me "well, he views him as our 6th man." Sure he does...NOW...with a healthy starting squad.

Back Woodson all you want, but at this rate, Woodson will not develop Teague this year. Yes, he hasn't played all that well in his limited time, but he won't get much better at this point. As much as Bibby means to this team, he isn't getting any younger, his skills are diminishing rapidly, he will miss time from time to time (knock on wood), and more importantly: WE HAVE NO ONE ELSE BEHIND HIM BESIDES TEAGUE!

I'm tired of this song and dance every year!

Ug, this makes me sick! Yes north, Crawford CAN play Point Guard, but that doesn't mean he SHOULD play Point Guard full time. That would not be advantageous to our already disoriented "offensive scheme." You said that if Bibby goes down (and he could--no team stays completely healthy), Teague MIGHT start like the 1st and 3rd quarters, and then Crawford will take over. Ok...but with just 8.9 MPG, he isn't at all ready to contribute in that way. Heck, he can't even get decent minutes in some blowouts...and now you think Woody could START HIM the 1st and 3rd quarters? Puh-lease! If Bibby goes down, Crawford will start. Bank on it. And like you said, Woodson is trying to win as many games as he can because he has no contract (or in case he isn't retained). So between Crawford and Teague, which will Woodson start to, in his mind, give him the best chance of winning? Don't give me "well, he views him as our 6th man." Sure he does...NOW...with a healthy starting squad.

Back Woodson all you want, but at this rate, Woodson will not develop Teague this year. Yes, he hasn't played all that well in his limited time, but he won't get much better at this point. As much as Bibby means to this team, he isn't getting any younger, his skills are diminishing rapidly, he will miss time from time to time (knock on wood), and more importantly: WE HAVE NO ONE ELSE BEHIND HIM BESIDES TEAGUE!

I'm tired of this song and dance every year!

Truth . . which lineup is the best Hawk lineup on the year? And tell "the truth".

And people talk about all he needs is playing time. Don't forget that this is the same dude that went 0 - 15 in a preseason game. Yes, it's preseason, and it didn't count. LOL . . but who goes 0 - 15 in a game?

Here's the game. Pull up his shot chart, and look where he missed from.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/shotchart?gameId=291023019

I will once again say this. When Salim was being used sparingly fans shouted from the rooftops that Woodson was just being stubborn and not using him right. Once Salim was finally freed from the Shackles of Woodson he impressed the rest of the coaches in the league so much he is now out of the league. Its clear that Woodson just was quick to identify that Salim couldn't help the team.

When Acie wasn't getting enough minutes people were outraged and thought Woodson was just being stubborn. Of course once Acie left the Warriors didn't even pick up his 4th year team option and can't get off the bench in Charlotte. It wasn't that Woodson was using Acie Wrong- its that Acie wasn't good enough to contribute.

If Salim and Acie had blossomed when they left I'd be here with you guys saying that he is "doing it again" to Teague. But to me its to Woodsons credit that he didn't wast more minutes on those guys even when the fans badly wanted the young guys to play more. I'll give Woodson the benefit of the doubt for now. There is plenty to look at in his performance to this point to support the idea that he just isn't ready. And if Teague isn't ready to be a contributor then I think the way to use him is to play him against backups where he has a good chance of succeeding and then play him in blowouts.

Edited by spotatl
  • Like 1

I will once again say this. When Salim was being used sparingly fans shouted from the rooftops that Woodson was just being stubborn and not using him right. Once Salim was finally freed from the Shackles of Woodson he impressed the rest of the coaches in the league so much he is now out of the league. Its clear that Woodson just was quick to identify that Salim couldn't help the team.

When Acie wasn't getting enough minutes people were outraged and thought Woodson was just being stubborn. Of course once Acie left the Warriors didn't even pick up his 4th year team option and can't get off the bench in Charlotte. It wasn't that Woodson was using Acie Wrong- its that Acie wasn't good enough to contribute.

If Salim and Acie had blossomed when they left I'd be here with you guys saying that he is "doing it again" to Teague. But to me its to Woodsons credit that he didn't wast more minutes on those guys even when the fans badly wanted the young guys to play more. I'll give Woodson the benefit of the doubt for now. There is plenty to look at in his performance to this point to support the idea that he just isn't ready. And if Teague isn't ready to be a contributor then I think the way to use him is to play him against backups where he has a good chance of succeeding and then play him in blowouts.

Fine. But what will happen next year when Bibby is even older, and we STILL won't have a competent backup to replace him? Grab another PG in the draft (even though we will pick even lower)? Trade for a vet? Try to sign a vet? Hope Teague can provide us decent minutes although he rode the pine most of the year? Oh wait, Crawford will be our backup PG (again!). Development be damned!