• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Joe Johnson takes a indirect shot at the Hawks organization?

GameTime

http://blogs.ajc.com/hawks/2010/02/15/as-cavs-look-to-load-up-j-j-says-of-hawks-weve-got-to-be-real-scrappy/?cxntfid=blogs_hawks

Dallas– When the post All-Star game discussion turned to the best team in the East looking to add Amare Stoudemire, Hawks All-Star Joe Johnson let out a “Whew!” and smiled.

“They are just being selfish,” J.J. joked.

“They are trying to stack it, man,” Johnson said of the Cavs. “They are trying to do whatever it takes to keep ‘23′ (LeBron) there. And not only that they really, really are trying to shoot for a title. What they’ve got now, I think it’s a possibility, and getting Amare makes it even stronger.”

Does he expect the other East contenders to react to Cleveland’s move?

“Probably not,” he said. “A lot of the top teams, when you look at Boston and Orlando, they are pretty much set where they are at and feeling like they can win a championship with what they got.”

And what about the Hawks?

“I think we’re solid,” he said. “With what we got, we’ve got to be real scrappy and want it more than the next team. That’s the only way we are going to get over the top. We can’t come out relaxed or being too cool. We have got to come out and hit first every night.”

My translation: As it stands now the Hawks may not have the talent or depth to match up with the Cavs or Magic (the latter being the more pressing concern as a potential second-round opponent), so they’ve got to do it with effort and edginess.

The theme for the Hawks when they return from the All-Star break today is “refocus,” and J.J. said he’s ready to take the lead.

“Going down the stretch run, we really have to come together and find our identity and see what kind of team we want to be in the playoffs,” he said. “I can’t wait to get back and pretty much set the tone with what kind of team we want to be. We need to have a no-lose attitude, coming out and paying closer attention to detail and focusing in on what we need to do to position ourselves to get a good spot in the playoffs.”

The improvement likely will have to be internal since there’s been nothing to suggest the Hawks will waiver from GM Rick Sund’s stance that he would not make a major trade before Thursday’s deadline. Those moves have already been made as the Hawks built the core of the team through the draft (Al, Marvin, and Josh) and trades (J.J., Bibby, and Jamal). It’s stayed together through re-signings as the victory totals have increased.

Now the Hawks will see how far this group can go. Johnson said he understands the philosophy.

“We’ve been together for four or five years now,” he said. “Honestly, each year we’ve gotten better, we’ve gotten further. We are still growing as a team, we are still getting better.

“Who knows how good we will be this year? We’ve still got a lot more room for improvement. We’ve got to just keep working and know what’s at (stake).”

Meanwhile, Cleveland will get the headlines over the next few days as it looks to add Stoudemire. The Hawks will quietly try to get better with what they’ve got.

“The owners and Rick feel that way,” Horford said after the All-Star game. “We have grown in the short time I have been here. Hopefully we keep growing and keep developing.”

He added with a laugh: “Stay in the West, Amare.”

Edited by GameTime

The Cavs have 82 million in payroll and are looking to add more. Boston has 84 million in payroll and are looking to add more. Orlando has 84 million dollars in Payroll.

THe Hawks have 66 million in payroll, didn't spend the MLE in the offseason, and are at the league minimum roster size. The Hawks should see themselves as having to do more with less.

As usual, JJ sees it right.

He wasn't taking a shot at the Hawks organization, he was simply telling it like it is. We're definitely going to have to scrap and claw and fight for everything from here on out. Some of these guys, ( including JJ ) are going to have to play the playoff series of their lives, in order for this team to make a run in the playoffs.

JJ knows this.

His comments are also an indication that he either knows or believes that we're not doing anything at the trade deadline. That's why the fans should simply ease their minds over the next few days. Personally, I can't wait to see if we can possibly win 3 out of 4 on this mini-West coast trip. Our goal on the road should be to reach that 21 win mark by April. That basically means taking care of these lesser teams in their building. We need to start consistently doing that, ti prepare us mentally for the playoffs.

He is just stating the truth. Now I will normally take shots at JJ for what he said but not in this case. The team we got right now we should be able to get out of the 1st round. When it come to the 2nd round it is going to be very tough especially against either the Magic or Cavs. Celts I do have confidence although I expect to see a tougher Celts team the next time.

• Premium Member

Joe just giving real talk. I find it refreshing to hear an athlete talk without a hidden motive. Joe doesn't speak in order to make himself look good that phony Lebron James.

I'm going to have to agree with everyone while also taking a bit from Spot's and Northcyde's posts. JJ is just telling it like it is. As Spot intimated, the Hawks aren't competing financially with the other top East teams by quite a large distance. We never used the MLE, nor are we keeping a full roster. It is hard to field a championship quality team in this era while using so little money. It is amazing we could be a 50-55 win team as it is.

But yeah, JJ knows this team won't do anything in the playoffs unless they BRING IT and outwork the opponent night in and night out. He sees Cleveland getting better, Orlando regaining their magic, and Boston playing slightly better lately. He knows the Hawks don't have much of a shot against the Magic or Cleveland...especially with our maddening ability to play one team with balls-out confidence and great play while we sleepwalk through other games and lesser teams. Best believe the Magic and Lebrons won't be doing much of that in the playoffs.

JJ and Crawford better don some superhuman abilities and superhero capes in the playoffs, because that is about the only thing that will get us far this year (since we won't be doing anything before the trade deadline).

As usual, JJ sees it right.

He wasn't taking a shot at the Hawks organization, he was simply telling it like it is. We're definitely going to have to scrap and claw and fight for everything from here on out. Some of these guys, ( including JJ ) are going to have to play the playoff series of their lives, in order for this team to make a run in the playoffs.

JJ knows this.

His comments are also an indication that he either knows or believes that we're not doing anything at the trade deadline. That's why the fans should simply ease their minds over the next few days. Personally, I can't wait to see if we can possibly win 3 out of 4 on this mini-West coast trip. Our goal on the road should be to reach that 21 win mark by April. That basically means taking care of these lesser teams in their building. We need to start consistently doing that, ti prepare us mentally for the playoffs.

well said. JJ is keeping it real. Hawks are a good exciting team but they will have to play their best to beat the Cavs or Magic in the playoffs..and its possible. They just have to want it more. Hawks shouldnt make any big trades...this team has been together for a few years for the most part and knows how to play together and that will be what gets them far. The game isnt won on paper so even if Amare go to the Cavs I think we still have a chance because Im not sure how that would work out honestly. Joe Johnson and the Hawks has to step up his game for the 2nd half of the season so we can go into the playoffs with alot of confidence because when he is on his A game, this team plays very well and we usually win. One thing I want to see more is the bench..I think we have a pretty good bench but Woody, who I think is doing a good job as coach, needs to play the bench more including Collins who will be key against Shaq, Dwight, and Lakers if we get to the Finals..other than that I like the Hawks chances in the East this year

Edited by TruJerz

The Hawks will be better than the Cavs and Celtics 2 to 3 years from now. The Magic maybe not.

The thing is do fans, JJ, and Sund have the patience at this point.

I would have liked to have seen this.

Joe said his deal. A reporter should have followed up with

"Who would you like to see moved Joe to secure a player like Amare Stoudemire? Josh Smith?"

Seriously. Who would you like to see moved Joe?

The Hawks will be better than the Cavs and Celtics 2 to 3 years from now. The Magic maybe not.

"Who would you like to see moved Joe to secure a player like Amare Stoudemire? Josh Smith?"

That wouldve been a great question. We(fans)always talk about what the team needs. I would like to also hear from our star player thinks. Also Woody

Only if the hawks are willing to spend into the luxury tax. If they don't want to pay the luxury tax, either JJ or Horford will walk.

Only if the hawks are willing to spend into the luxury tax. If they don't want to pay the luxury tax, either JJ or Horford will walk.

a. how do you know they'll walk

b. how do they get into the luxury threshold bigtime which is what it'll take to get another star player?

you have to trade salary for salary and the Hawks don't have any salary outside of Smoove, Crawford, and Joe. Marvin can be packaged next year.

a. how do you know they'll walk

b. how do they get into the luxury threshold bigtime which is what it'll take to get another star player?

you have to trade salary for salary and the Hawks don't have any salary outside of Smoove, Crawford, and Joe. Marvin can be packaged next year.

I wasn't referring to ways of getting a star, I was referring to your statement that the hawks will be better than the celtics or cavs in 2 or 3 years.

Luxury tax this season is 69 million. With the declining cap, it could be as low as 65 million next season. The hawks already have 47 million in the books for next season, plus whatever cap holds necessary to reach a minimum roster. I doubt it will take less than 14 million to resign JJ. I also doubt that, when the time comes, it will take less than 10 million a year to resign Horford. So in order to keep a nucleus of JJ, Horford, Crawford and Smith together, the hawks will have to get into the luxury tax (if there is still one - if its a hard cap it will make things even harder) in 2011. If they are not willing to get into the luxury tax, then either JJ, Horford, or Crawford will walk, not because they want to, but because the hawks wont offer them anything. That was what I was referring to.

Joe always seems critical of his team without looking at his own shortcomings. When is going to stop dribbling too much and slowing down the ball movement in out half coourt offense? When is going to stop

playing so passive with all these floaters and fadeaways? When is he going to realize he has many other offensive weapons in this team besides himself? When is going to learn to not wait until the last possible

second before oassing out of the double team?

Joe is a major talent, but if he wants to take his game to the next level, he needs to realize he has some growing to do as well. Start pointing some fingers at yourself instead of everywhere else. And play with some

fire once in a while!

• Like 1

• Premium Member

I wasn't referring to ways of getting a star, I was referring to your statement that the hawks will be better than the celtics or cavs in 2 or 3 years.

Luxury tax this season is 69 million. With the declining cap, it could be as low as 65 million next season. The hawks already have 47 million in the books for next season, plus whatever cap holds necessary to reach a minimum roster. I doubt it will take less than 14 million to resign JJ. I also doubt that, when the time comes, it will take less than 10 million a year to resign Horford. So in order to keep a nucleus of JJ, Horford, Crawford and Smith together, the hawks will have to get into the luxury tax (if there is still one - if its a hard cap it will make things even harder) in 2011. If they are not willing to get into the luxury tax, then either JJ, Horford, or Crawford will walk, not because they want to, but because the hawks wont offer them anything. That was what I was referring to.

Crawford's a free agent after next year. I could easily imagine the Hawks letting him walk or paying him well under the mid-level. If that happens, they can keep Horford and JJ without entering luxury tax land.

Then again, who knows what the new salary rules will be in 2011. In all likelihood, Horford will become a free agent in a market with wildly different rules.

Crawford's a free agent after next year. I could easily imagine the Hawks letting him walk or paying him well under the mid-level. If that happens, they can keep Horford and JJ without entering luxury tax land.

Then again, who knows what the new salary rules will be in 2011. In all likelihood, Horford will become a free agent in a market with wildly different rules.

If Crawford walks, then the hawks will not be better than the celtics or cavs two to three years from now.

I'm not saying they can't keep JJ and Horford without paying the tax. I'm saying that they cant keep both, avoid the tax AND still be better than the celtics and the cavs in 2 to 3 years. And if the rules change, the celtics and the cavs still will have more cap flexibility in the 2011 offseason if the hawks resign JJ.

• Premium Member

If Crawford walks, then the hawks will not be better than the celtics or cavs two to three years from now.

I'm not saying they can't keep JJ and Horford without paying the tax. I'm saying that they cant keep both, avoid the tax AND still be better than the celtics and the cavs in 2 to 3 years. And if the rules change, the celtics and the cavs still will have more cap flexibility in the 2011 offseason if the hawks resign JJ.

The Celtics in 2-3 years? Really? I don't see how anyone can pretend to know how that team will look in 1 year, much less 2 to 3. Same with the Cavs, really.

Edited by niremetal

The Celtics in 2-3 years? Really? I don't see how anyone can pretend to know how that team will look in 1 year, much less 2 to 3. Same with the Cavs, really.

Read this thread again. I never said anything about how good the celtics will be in 2 to 3 years. I said that the only way that the statement that the hawks will be better than either team in 2 to 3 years is true is if the hawks keep the core of the team together, and that will require spending into what right now would be luxury tax territory.