• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Whats up with all the Hawk fans in North Carolina?

MVP23

We have fans everywhere, except Atlanta.

• Moderators

Just before the days of the Hornets, in the Carolinas your geographic choices were confined to the Dominique and the Hawks (on TBS), or Manute Bol and the Bullets (whenever they were on)... Advantage, Hawks. Plus, many survivors of the ill-fated George Shinn era swore off of Charlotte basketball teams altogether, and find the Hawks an accessible alternative.

~lw3

• Premium Member

I know, seems like most of the people on this forum don't even live in Georgia.

Yup. Atlanta is an city of transplants and expatriates. It's probably the biggest reason why there aren't the deeply-embedded sports loyalties in Atlanta like there are in cities in the northeast and midwest. You don't see father-to-son passing on of pro sports loyalties in Atlanta even close to the extent you do in most other cities. My mom was born in Miami, my dad in Arizona, and my grandparents in New Jersey and Alabama. I was the first in my family to actually grow up in Atlanta, and I became a Hawks fan in spite of my family's loyalty to their hometown teams...and then I moved away for college and never returned.

I had 5 close friends in HS who were also big-time Hawks fans. But only 2 of them live in Atlanta today; the others are in San Francisco, Connecticut, and DC. We should start city Hawks clubs like university alumni clubs. It would be funny (and sad) to see if we could get more club members than there are Hawks season ticket holders.

Edited by niremetal

In all my days in Tennessee, I've only met ONE Hawks fan in this state. And he was actually from Atlanta, visiting his folks. I think Volman lives in Chatt, and I think some other guy on here lives in Nashville. But we may be the only 3 Hawk fans in this entire state . . lol.

And Lethal is right. If you lived in the Southeast, the Hawks were the only NBA team that you could see on TV on a regular basis, outside of the Knicks, when WWOR out of Jersey was a national cable channel and used to show Knick games. Back in the 80s, those were the two teams that you could actually watch just about any time in the week. Then WGN started showing Bulls games once they got real good.

TBS and TNT were godsends for Hawk fans in the South, before TNT became part of the NBA national TV contract.

Great idea ninemetal. I am still in the metro but I am considering moving to another city if certain things at my job do not change.

:thumbsdownsmileyanim:

Any idea why we shouldn't be Hawk fans?

Most southern folk are Braves fans, thanks to the work of WTBS for many years.

It just seems to be a natural thing, if you are not already a fan of another NBA team,

to become a fan of Atlanta's other pro teams.

If all these Carolina people were not Hawk fans, who would they list as their favorite?

I know the man I work for is a big Celtic fan and was while the Hawks were still in St. Louis.

The real reason? Because we want to and you can't stop us!! So, there.

:vacation1:

• Premium Member
Most southern folk are Braves fans, thanks to the work of WTBS for many years.

It just seems to be a natural thing, if you are not already a fan of another NBA team,

to become a fan of Atlanta's other pro teams.

This is my reasoning, too.

I know where GrayMule is from in NC. Where is everyone else?

I'm not understanding where this is coming from. I've been in Raleigh for about half a year now and I have yet to meet another Hawks fan. I'm usually at some bar to watch the Hawks play and I'm the outcast cheering for them. I have seen a fair amount of Bobcats fans though.

I'm not understanding where this is coming from. I've been in Raleigh for about half a year now and I have yet to meet another Hawks fan. I'm usually at some bar to watch the Hawks play and I'm the outcast cheering for them. I have seen a fair amount of Bobcats fans though.

...Well you prove my point, since YOUR in NC lol.

Like everyone else i grew up on TBS in Southern Virginia. Hawks and Braves. I became a Falcon fan because i just kept it simple. 2 legit 2 quit..lol. Ive only met one other hawks fan and he is from Atlanta. He knows im from Virginia but keeps telling people im from Georgia..lol

• Premium Member

We have fans everywhere, except Atlanta.

Psh. That's the damn truth. I live in Columbus, GA right on the border with Alabama. I don't even bother discussing basketball with people here. I don't know about the rest of Georgia, but Columbus is the biggest bunch of bandwagon fans I have ever seen. Good grief... Sometimes, I just want to reach through the radio and slap the DJ's and people calling in...

"Sacramento man, that's my team..." (Bibby/Webber years)

"Naw, the T-Wolves gonna do it this year man..." (KG years)

"Portland dawg..."

"Them PISTONS...! DEETROIT!"

...and worst of all: "Cetics are my squad..." Seriously? There wasn't a single Celtic fan in this entire city until they traded for KG. They didn't even like Bird when they were beating the brakes off of teams.

Ungh....

Just mention one player on the Hawks and you get...

"Fool, are you crazy? The Hawks...?" Even when we're winning. This has been going on here since I started watching the Hawks in 1985 and Pro Footbal is even WORSE.

Thank God for the Internet and the Squawk. white%20flag.gif

...Well you prove my point, since YOUR in NC lol.

I do not follow. I am not from NC and my observation is that I have seen no Hawks fans since I have been here. Unless your point is that Hawks fans move to NC, I do not see how I prove anything.

• Premium Member

What part of Raleigh, HF? I'm in Wendell.

I live in Atlanta, and have season tickets... I've tried to do my part.

Weekday nights are miserable turnouts... Embarrassing if you ask me.

I've actually seen more Hawks fans at away games this year, so that's been good. I think the Hawks are doing a program next year where they take a tour bus to away games and bring season ticket holders with them...Pretty cool!

What part of Raleigh, HF? I'm in Wendell.

I'm inside the beltline, but on the Cary side. I have never heard of Wendell, but that probably just shows how new I am to the area.

• Premium Member
I'm inside the beltline, but on the Cary side. I have never heard of Wendell, but that probably just shows how new I am to the area.

Nah. I've found most on your side only stay on your side. Not much this way you'd need except to go towards the beach.

Wendell is a quaint, small town of only 4 or 5 thousand.