• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

It looks like they're going to take both of my dad's legs.

Plainview1981

He might not make it through surgery. tonight. We found out that he has basically been working the last two years with no toes. They rotted off and he didn't tell us until he was taken to the hospital, He could barely move. GanGreene has set it so bad. It sucks that I couldn't do anything to stop his drinking.

He might not make it through surgery. tonight. We found out that he has basically been working the last two years with no toes. They rotted off and he didn't tell us until he was taken to the hospital, He could barely move. GanGreene has set it so bad. It sucks that I couldn't do anything to stop his drinking.

It sucks Hot and I am sorry for the situation. People don't realize how brutal alcoholism is for some people. You combine that with Diabetes (which I would guess your father may have) and it's often fatal. Sadly, people who do not want to be helped cannot be helped (free country).

I would say two things though (when your father does pass...hopefully not for awhile yet). One, don't blame yourself for something which simply could not be accomplished..severe alcohilics will do almost anything for a drink.

Almost all have moments of clarity when they wish they could do better...but it is a dibilitating disease.

Two, don't forget that your father also probably did some pretty dang decent things in his life. The fact that he (may) succomb to this disease doesn't make him a lesser person, or someone you should respect less....JMHO.

Edited by DJlaysitup
  • Like 1

It sucks Hot and I am sorry for the situation. People don't realize how brutal alcoholism is for some people. You combine that with Diabetes (which I would guess your father may have) and it's often fatal. Sadly, people who do not want to be helped cannot be helped (free country).

I would say two things though (when your father does pass...hopefully not for awhile yet). One, don't blame yourself for something which simply could not be accomplished..severe alcohilics will do almost anything for a drink.

Almost all have moments of clarity when they wish they could do better...but it is a dibilitating disease.

Two, don't forget that your father also probably did some pretty dang decent things in his life. The fact that he (may) succomb to this disease doesn't make him a lesser person, or someone you should respect less....JMHO.

He has had Diabetes for probably 30-40 years and never taking your medication to control it is not a way to say healthy. I never could understand it. With him not controlling it and drinking like he has drunk it's probably more of a surprise he made it to 68 before this started happening. Plus he just lost his job 6 months ago and they gave him a 150 dollar portable DVD player for 35 years of work.. His brother dying about 2 months ago took what he spirit he had left.

It just sucks that I couldn't do anything about his drinking. He was an alcoholic before I was born though and it was so bad that it caused my mom to be put in a Mental Institution for a while because she got so upset that she couldn't control it. When something happens to my dad it wouldn't shock me if we have to put my sister there. After our mom, brother and her daughter dying in 1995 and now my dad.... She just isn't living in this world so much right now. It's taken it's toll on her.

As for the surgery... They cut off one of his feet today and the doctor said it's the worst infection he has ever seen in his life and that my dad had been walking and going to work with all this in his system for who knows how long. They're not even sure how far they will have to cut up. So it's still not known just how many surgeries he will have to have.

Edited by Hotlanta1981

I believe the reason that he didn't go to the hospital long before he did was because he thought he would never beat his drinking problem. So he figured this was going to happen sooner or later.

It is seriously sad that we don't have better preventative healthcare in our country. I was talking to a friend of mine at work the other day (we were both out having a smoke). I mentioned to her that I almost wished we had a non-punitive "check-in" jail in this country. About the only way I could quit smoking would be to assign myself to incarceration for a month or so. I wouldn't want to hang out with killers and the like, but for some of us it would just be best to simply be forced to give up our bad habits for awhile.

On a positive note, they are doing good things these days with sensory blockers that can take away that all powerful urge to do something one is addicted to.

Anyway, hang in there man and do the best you can in a tough situation. I was holding my Dad's hand when he passed away from heart disease and I had to tell my Mom she had innopperable cancer. Neither was a whole flocking lot of fun.

But hey, nobody lives forever, we all have an appointment that we will be forced to keep.

It is seriously sad that we don't have better preventative healthcare in our country. I was talking to a friend of mine at work the other day (we were both out having a smoke). I mentioned to her that I almost wished we had a non-punitive "check-in" jail in this country. About the only way I could quit smoking would be to assign myself to incarceration for a month or so. I wouldn't want to hang out with killers and the like, but for some of us it would just be best to simply be forced to give up our bad habits for awhile.

On a positive note, they are doing good things these days with sensory blockers that can take away that all powerful urge to do something one is addicted to.

Anyway, hang in there man and do the best you can in a tough situation. I was holding my Dad's hand when he passed away from heart disease and I had to tell my Mom she had innopperable cancer. Neither was a whole flocking lot of fun.

But hey, nobody lives forever, we all have an appointment that we will be forced to keep.

Sorry to hear about your losses. That's what I tell my sister. We aren't the only ones with problems and stuff, but I know it's tougher for her. She was driving the car and she was in the wreck that killed my mother and brother and seeing her daughter pass at 3 years old. Not to mention that my brother in law cheated on her several times.

How old was your dad?

• Moderators

Just saw this. So sorry to hear this and I'll join everyone keeping you in thoughts and prayers on here.

As someone who is diabetic, this is the type of story that makes we want to do extra to make sure I control my blood sugars. I hope your father can turn things around.

Well, it's all done now. He might get out in 2 weeks. They will wait and see of the infection comes back or something. If it does, there is nothing they can do because they have cut as much as they can cut. So I'm just hoping it comes out alright.

You keep yourself together man OK? There is no reason...absolutely no reason...for you to not come out of this OK. From what you have said is doesn't look too promising. I sent flowers to a funeral back in Iliinois today for my cousin's Mom. It happens, nobody lives forever. Just because he didn't go out the way you would be more comfortable with doesn't matter. Forty or fifty years from now you can talk it over with him....he won't be an alcoholic then. kickcan.gif

You keep yourself together man OK? There is no reason...absolutely no reason...for you to not come out of this OK. From what you have said is doesn't look too promising. I sent flowers to a funeral back in Iliinois today for my cousin's Mom. It happens, nobody lives forever. Just because he didn't go out the way you would be more comfortable with doesn't matter. Forty or fifty years from now you can talk it over with him....he won't be an alcoholic then. kickcan.gif

They're starting him on physical therapy today. He's not going to want to do this s***. He is near 70 years old. When he get's home, he will be riding the scooter most of the time anyway. I was up there with him most of the day yesterday and to me he didn't look as good as he did this past weekend. So I don't know... I can't figure out if they're just trying to throw him out of the hospital or not. I don't if I mentioned this or not, but they decided not to mess with the other leg too much right now. They say it still has a pulse, so we will have to wait and see. I know when it comes to things like this the outlook and stuff with consistently change, but I think he will end up back in there again. But that's Cobb General for you.