• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Woody draws up diffrent defensive game plans for Orlando!

JTB

link:

http://www.ajc.com/sports/atlanta-hawks/hawks-last-chance-to-397923.html

Here's what I dont understand.

Now follow me ATL, did we not play D wade man to man last year in the playoffs! Yeah we did and he torched our asses in iso nearly every game. Answer this for me do we not play what woody calls a switching defense which is basically still man to man we just have the players with the ability to matchup at other opponents if they get switched. With that said why is it that Woody tries to double team howard! I mean I say let horford bang with him! horford aint soft man he will bang with D howard and not have a prob doing it! Any ways woody needs to stop doubling howard cause howard finds the open man and thats why they hit 12 THREE POINTERS on us last game outscoring us 56-25 in the 2nd half. We are falling into Van Gundy's offensive gameplan! Hell everybody knows they like to shoot three's and it's easier for them to get once we decide to double howard. Why do we decide to double howard every time he plays us we didn't double none of the other top big men in the NBA. Hell we didnt even double D wade in the playoffs and those were very important games. I say let horford bang as well as whoever is guarding him one on one. If he kills us then oh well it's better to see us banging with howard than him kicking it out to a wide open man to hit a three! If woody decides to double howard all game tomorrow I'm not watching cause he should know that, that game plan does not work!

Edited by JTB

The key to defending Dwight is to force him to get post position as far away from the basket as possible . Youve got to start battling with him the moment he crosses halfcourt and consistently battle for that position all night long regardless of fouls ,ally oops, bad calls.

far too many times we basically allow him setup wherever he wants and then struggle trying to play catch up.

• Premium Member

The key to defending Dwight is to force him to get post position as far away from the basket as possible . Youve got to start battling with him the moment he crosses halfcourt and consistently battle for that position all night long regardless of fouls ,ally oops, bad calls.

far too many times we basically allow him setup wherever he wants and then struggle trying to play catch up.

and you have to get Al hitting jumpers early to keep him honest on the defensive end.

• Premium Member

hmm I doubt it lol, but we will see tonight

I'll pull a MVP23 and predict that the Hawks will lose by less than 25 points.

Edited by NineOhTheRino

Some groundbreaking strategy by Woody. Double team Howard or not double team Howard. Wow..that's deep :)

Seriously though, I am going to the game and here is what I think we need to do.

-Horford needs to hit some midrange jumpers to get Howard away from the basket more

-The WHOLE team needs to help rebound

-Play more zone, with the closest wingman available for doubling Howard

-Get Collins and Zaza in the rotation against Howard to take some of the load from Al. Some hard fouls by Collins would be nice.

- Keep the Orlando perimeter shooters from getting into a groove. High 3-pt % + Howard high rebound #'s = Hawks loss.

Some groundbreaking strategy by Woody. Double team Howard or not double team Howard. Wow..that's deep :)

Seriously though, I am going to the game and here is what I think we need to do.

-Horford needs to hit some midrange jumpers to get Howard away from the basket more

-The WHOLE team needs to help rebound

-Play more zone, with the closest wingman available for doubling Howard

-Get Collins and Zaza in the rotation against Howard to take some of the load from Al. Some hard fouls by Collins would be nice.

- Keep the Orlando perimeter shooters from getting into a groove. High 3-pt % + Howard high rebound #'s = Hawks loss.

Yeah we can man up and not double team as much on Howard, but we can't let him go crazy on the boards. I would rather Howard score over 20pts, than let him get 20+ rebounds.

• Premium Member

I'll say this.

VC and the rest of the shooters are the problem. IF we could stop/control them, we can win the game.

Has Howard ever scored 40 points before? I don't think he has and the reason being is because his team doesn't trust him to. I say play him man to man and play all the shooters tight... maybe even doubling on the hot shooter. If we do that, we will beat them.

The issue on defense is that Rashard Lewis and Ryan Anderson drag Josh SMith out to the permimeter where he is ineffective. It makes the Hawks best help defender play a long way away from where he can assist against others penetrating. Watch where Josh Smith has to play on defense. Then look at it on the other side of the court where Rashard lewis plays on defense- he doesn't even bother to guard Josh Smith outside of 10 feet. Its a massive advantage for the Magic

• Premium Member

I say sticking to one plan is better than trying to do both. You can't guard Howard the way you want and guard the perimeter the way you want. This is Orlando's game plan and we have to adjust to it. That being said, I think you have to focus on the shooters. Dwight is a handful, but he's not going to beat us by himself.

A bigger problem I think is scoring. We're focusing so much on how we defend them, but the problem (if I'm reading these stats right) is that we're seriously sucking offensively against them. We're scoring 81 ppg against ORL, well below our average. While the league compared to us is putting up around 95 on them. Orlando is scoring right at their average vs. us, but we are well below ours. That's gotta change. We do have to buckle down and decide how we're going to defend them, but we cannot win this game with suck offense.

On offense the issue is that Lewis and Howard basically zone up inside and don't really guard Smith and Horford once they go outside of 10 feet. They don't think either guy is enough of a threat from there to bother with. Honestly what has to happen is that when joe or Crawford break that first level, they have to pass to Smith and Horford once the help comes from inside. Lewis is still there to cover so the work is not done but to me thats the weakness of their approach. Too often Joe will settle for midrange jumpers. Also Smith and Horford have to kill the Magic on the offensive glass. IF they are sending Howard to help that takes him out of rebounding position.

On offense the issue is that Lewis and Howard basically zone up inside and don't really guard Smith and Horford once they go outside of 10 feet. They don't think either guy is enough of a threat from there to bother with. Honestly what has to happen is that when joe or Crawford break that first level, they have to pass to Smith and Horford once the help comes from inside. Lewis is still there to cover so the work is not done but to me thats the weakness of their approach. Too often Joe will settle for midrange jumpers. Also Smith and Horford have to kill the Magic on the offensive glass. IF they are sending Howard to help that takes him out of rebounding position.

I agree with this as well.last time we played them Crawford was getting into the paint a lot but Howard was there . When he turns that corner whoever Howard is guarding has to put themselves in position to to score and be ready for the ball. Once we start punishing them inside for Howards help then the weakside is gonna rotate down to help Howard and then it will open up the weakside jumpshot for either Marv,Bibbs,Joe,Crawford . So far this year our bigs have conceded everything to Dwight they havent fought for position on defense and on offense has basically been cool with watching the play but not getting involved . Its as though they are afraid of being dunked on but at this point you have to be willing to punish Dwight the best example Ive seen of this as the Nuggets as Nene /Kmart/Birdman went at Howard hard attacking him on both ends.