• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Al Horford blames Hawks Guards

Vesper

• Premium Member

Al is 100% right. Ball movement has been stopping in the 4th quarters and we rely too much on ISO-Joe and ISO-Jamal.

We need to play the last quarter like the 1st. Joe needs to stop with "hero-mode" and Jamal also needs to wait more

for his opportunities. Pass it around and wait until the opportinuty presents itslef. Standing around and waiting until the

clock is at 10 only makes sense on the last possesion of a quarter.

Yes it's right but Al should not be the one saying it in the media. These types on comments should only come from Woody or Sund. Another player making these same comments would be killed to no end around here. Why is Al getting a pass?

Soo.. when Horford criticizes the team everyone is ok with it, but when Joe Johnson does it everyone is outraged? :question:

"It's all about ME, ME, ME"

Yet I have the ball in my hands for 22 seconds every possesion in the 4th quarter..

I love you, Joe. :whistling:

Edited by Bruin

• Premium Member

Seriously this crap needs to get ironed out before the playoffs start or the Hawks could easily get taken out in the first round.

We already know Woody is either part of the problem or incapable of correcting it.

I think it is simply a matter of philosophy. Woody is going for the "Prevent Defense"... His thinking is that if we don't pass the ball we won't turn it over. It is frankly, pretty insane IMO. For a team that ranks fourth on offense we play scared way too often. We should be coming out swinging the ball with confidence in the fourth, going for the kill (ESPECIALLY at home!). But we play like we are afraid to lose... That's a losers mentality if you ask me.

I don't think that Woodson is telling Joe not to pass when the double comes. If Joe tries to score through the double team its just a poor judgment on his part. He simply needs to pass when the double comes and everything else resolves itself. If Joe were getting shut down 1 on 1 then hell yes you can complain about the plan on offense. But once the double comes I think that its on Joe if he doesn't pass the ball.

Edited by spotatl

Finally somebody has spoken!!!! Big props to Big Al for telling the truth. We don't suck at offense, we just dont have any ball movement in the 4th quarter to close out a game! Thats all it is ATL no BALL MOVEMENT. We put ball movement in the 4th quarter and hit our open looks we are straight! Im so glad someone has actually spoken out that the only reasons we dont succeed in the 4th is because lack of ball movement and not hitting our open shots. Now I dont completely agree that it's all the guards faults cause we need ball movement from the whole TEAM but I am glad someone had big enough balls to put it out on the media. EXPECT A CHANGE IN THE FOURTH QUARTER ATL especially since Big Al has spoken out about it (to the media), maybe our hawks will change in the 4th and start trusting each other instead of everybody going into HERO MODE.

Finally somebody has spoken!!!! Big props to Big Al for telling the truth. We don't suck at offense, we just dont have any ball movement in the 4th quarter to close out a game! Thats all it is ATL no BALL MOVEMENT. We put ball movement in the 4th quarter and hit our open looks we are straight! Im so glad someone has actually spoken out that the only reasons we dont succeed in the 4th is because lack of ball movement and not hitting our open shots. Now I dont completely agree that it's all the guards faults cause we need ball movement from the whole TEAM but I am glad someone had big enough balls to put it out on the media. EXPECT A CHANGE IN THE FOURTH QUARTER ATL especially since Big Al has spoken out about it (to the media), maybe our hawks will change in the 4th and start trusting each other instead of everybody going into HERO MODE.

It's ~HERO MODE~ for you, good sir.

Soo.. when Horford criticizes the team everyone is ok with it, but when Joe Johnson does it everyone is outraged? :question:

Not exactly I think the fact that people thinks he's jelous of crawford which is silly and that he hate's but in reality he's right about most things that he say's about our team. it's just that these hawk fans on this board want to think he's just a hater when he's telling the truth. I still like JJ myself but he does scare me with the NY talk sometimes! and it makes me want to S&T him before he walks for nothing! So you are right somewhat about people going outrages when JJ says something but I dont think they always mean it. Their just scared to lose their all-star! Can you blame them!

Edited by JTB

I don't think that Woodson is telling Joe not to pass when the double comes. If Joe tries to score through the double team its just a poor judgment on his part. He simply needs to pass when the double comes and everything else resolves itself. If Joe were getting shut down 1 on 1 then hell yes you can complain about the plan on offense. But once the double comes I think that its on Joe if he doesn't pass the ball.

It isn't just a double team issue. It is a dribble 15 times until the shot clock runs down and then hoist up a contested fadeaway issue.

In the Hero Mode thread someone posted the efg% for our players in the clutch (under five minutes left in game) Horford ranks second on the team ahead of Johnson and WAY ahead of Crawford. Al Horford is doing the right thing because it is the truth. Our frontcourt players get forgotten in the fourth and it kills our offense because they are our most efficient scorers and they don't even get an opportunity to score.

So now you are gonna cling to the EFG% did anyone happen to check the +/- in clutch situations ?

How many of the attempts do you think Al created for himself in the last 5 minutes of the game or how many are off of offensive rebounds or passes setup by the guards off penetration ? Some of you are taking these numbers and going crazy with them. Only person on the team that could possibly have a valid complaint about shots is Marvin everyone else can easily get an attempt if they want one and its hard to even say Marvin simply because hes not aggressive half the time .

Weve seen Crawford just last week have 17 at the half and then get like 6 shots in the second half .

If Al or Smoove or JJ produce similar results in the first half we ride them the second half hard .

We blossoming the problem is that while everyone thinks that they can make plays in the 4th they are not ready to accept the blame that follows it . Right now the only 2 players that can handle it are Joe and Crawford . If we Smoove or Al the entire 4th quarter tonight and they cant deliver and we lose I guarantee you the next game they are not gonna be looking to shoot come the 4th quarter .

Our 4th quarter problems stem from the us slowing the tempo and walking the ball up . You only do that if you have a low post player or a Chris Paul who can create looks for everyone . We are 9th in the league in points and we are the only team that slows it up in the 4th the rest continue to push the rock because they want to continue to try and get easys baskets . I dont know whether they are tiered or what but just simply watch the tempo when the 4th quarter starts tonight the 3rd will end at a fast pace and the 4th starts and it gets slower and slower on makes or misses or turnovers it doesnt matter. We slow it up or better yet sometimes call timeouts and still dont get good shots .

True or not true, we're getting ready for the playoffs. We don't have a superstar to carry us - Joe is the closest thing we have. That means that only way we'll win anything is to play the team basketball that got us here. Al has to be careful about saying this stuff in public. You don't want to start tearing down chemistry in late March. This probably should've been a comment behind closed doors.

Hopefully the veterans on this team (Joe, Jamal, Bibby) will understand that this is a young guy making the mistake of being frustrated in front of the media. A good example is Kobe overlooking Pau Gasol's recent comments and taking the high road. It's their job to keep it together, rather than get offended. Hopefully they will.

We love you Al. Even if you're right, next time say this is a team-only meeting. In the public, you need to have your boys' backs, no matter what.

Edited by HawkRock1123

Not exactly I think the fact that people thinks he's jelous of crawford which is silly and that he hate's but in reality he's right about most things that he say's about our team. it's just that these hawk fans on this board want to think he's just a hater when he's telling the truth. I still like JJ myself but he does scare me with the NY talk sometimes! and it makes me want to S&T him before he walks for nothing! So you are right somewhat about people going outrages when JJ says something but I dont think they always mean it. Their just scared to lose their all-star! Can you blame them!

When did Joe ever say he was jealous of Jamal?? People are just saying things..

Joe isn't getting shut down 1 one 1. He can still be his man 1 on 1- its that he doesn't pass the ball after the double comes. I think its just bad decisionmaking.

When he is one on one late in the 4th he frequently holds the ball too long before trying to make a move. Then when he finally goes he is fighting the defense and the shot clock. If they double late in the clock he is screwed.

He threw a pass past the halfcourt line last game doing just that.

• Premium Member

Seriously this crap needs to get ironed out before the playoffs start or the Hawks could easily get taken out in the first round.

We already know Woody is either part of the problem or incapable of correcting it.

After this many years do we really have to ask if he's capable of correcting it? He's on record saying he "doesn't give a **** about offense" so of course Woody isn't going to change.

Woody's no goody indeed.

After this many years do we really have to ask if he's capable of correcting it? He's on record saying he "doesn't give a **** about offense" so of course Woody isn't going to change.

Woody's no goody indeed.

No. You're correct.

After 5 years of the same thing, it's not going to change the offensive philosophy. Which is partly why Horf made this comment...in other words, he's saying "the only way we're going to change to make it better, is doing it ourselves" he's putting the guards on the spot, because those are the guys that need a different mind-set. If Woody isn't going to change anything, or tell them, Al can. He surely isn't going to throw Woody under the bus - head coach, been there awile - you don't do that even if the coach needs to make improvements....he put it on the players. It's balsy, but I think it's his leadership starting to evolve. Even if it's the media...but nowadays, everything is the media. Doesn't matter.

Al has missed more late game shots than anyone. Personally I think he should look in the mirror and shut the heck up for once. Who is he to be saying anything? Dude is dang sure high on himself these days.

lord knows that other clown Marvin has nooooooo room to talk.

Wrong.

In the Hero Mode thread someone posted the efg% for our players in the clutch (under five minutes left in game) Horford ranks second on the team ahead of Johnson and WAY ahead of Crawford. Al Horford is doing the right thing because it is the truth. Our frontcourt players get forgotten in the fourth and it kills our offense because they are our most efficient scorers and they don't even get an opportunity to score.

Not to take anything from Al but I don't think it's really an apples-to-apples comparison here. Al is not asked to create or facilitate offense in the clutch and big men will often have better stats in this situation because of their hanging around the basket and getting tip-ins and other cleanup buckets. I do agree we should try to keep Al and Josh involved though.