• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks' 4th quarter breakdowns vs. Cavs: Sitting "slow" Bibby has consequences

hawks21

I am happy we didn't get blown out, but the lack of leadership on the floor in the 4th quarter ESPECIALLY ON THE ROAD IS THE HAWKS' ACHILLES HEEL. Bibby is slow and can't keep up with Mo WIlliams and Coach Woodson doesn't trust JEFF TEAGUE. So Jamal and JJ are the pseudo PGs and it leads to these LONG STRETCHES OF NO POINTS.

Marvin plays well for a few minutes, but he STILL LOOKS LOST OUT THERE...especially offensively.

The lack of floor leadership is a problem, and the Hawks have to figure this out.

I look at other YOUNG PGs around the league on winning teams such as Russell Westbrook or Brandon Jennings, and see how Darren Collison is playing, and it really comes back to hurt the Hawks...and speaks to Coach Woodson's inability to DEVELOP YOUNG PGs.

I am happy we didn't get blown out, but the lack of leadership on the floor in the 4th quarter ESPECIALLY ON THE ROAD IS THE HAWKS' ACHILLES HEEL. Bibby is slow and can't keep up with Mo WIlliams and Coach Woodson doesn't trust JEFF TEAGUE. So Jamal and JJ are the pseudo PGs and it leads to these LONG STRETCHES OF NO POINTS.

Marvin plays well for a few minutes, but he STILL LOOKS LOST OUT THERE...especially offensively.

The lack of floor leadership is a problem, and the Hawks have to figure this out.

I look at other YOUNG PGs around the league on winning teams such as Russell Westbrook or Brandon Jennings, and see how Darren Collison is playing, and it really comes back to hurt the Hawks...and speaks to Coach Woodson's inability to DEVELOP YOUNG PGs.

This team chokes no matter who they have on the floor.

LOL . .. here we go.

When JJ goes 6 - 17 and Crawford goes 6 - 18, you could put Magic Johnson on the floor, and we're not winning ( or at least in a major battle ). But whenever Woody doesn't play Teague,and we lose, that's always the excuse.

Put the blame on our top 2 scorers for this loss. They're the ones that needed to play better.

LOL . .. here we go.

When JJ goes 6 - 17 and Crawford goes 6 - 18, you could put Magic Johnson on the floor, and we're not winning ( or at least in a major battle ). But whenever Woody doesn't play Teague,and we lose, that's always the excuse.

Put the blame on our top 2 scorers for this loss. They're the ones that needed to play better.

Crawford was terrible tonight and he proved why he is a career loser. The quality of play is really starting to slip.

Here is his shooting the last 8 games:

5-18

7-18

9-16

4-14

4-13

6-15

5-14

6-18

This guys poor shooting could really hurt in the playoffs. He really knows how to throw up bricks. It's not like he does anything else to make up for an off shooting night.

Edited by Hotlanta1981

Crawford was terrible tonight and he proved why he is a career loser. The quality of play is really starting to slip.

Here is his shooting the last 8 games:

5-18

7-18

9-16

4-14

4-13

6-15

5-14

6-18

This guys poor shooting could really hurt in the playoffs. He really knows how to throw up bricks. It's not like he does anything else to make up for an off shooting night.

Bibby minutes need to go up again. Crawford's bs is hurting my eyes.

The key to this discussion is simply, "Woody doesn't trust Jeff Teague."

Now, is JT that good? No, he's not. He's not been thru the fire and come out on the other side. Most

of your young point guards have been on the floor, played thru their mistakes and allowed to mature.

They don't come to their team as mature leaders in the NBA. Not Jeff Teague.

JT is given some minutes, almost always in the first half OR when the game is out of reach late in the

fourth quarter. Woody certainly doesn't trust him to allow him on the floor when the game is on the line.

Others can have a bad night - - a bad game. Cost the Hawks the victory with their play. Yet, the next

game, they are right back out there in crunch time. Why? Because Woody trusts them to get the job

done. Could Jeff Teague get the job done if given the opportunity? We may never know.

Bibby is our leader. The way Woody has everything set up, game after game, Bibby is on the pine in

the last half of every 4th quarter and we watch as everything goes - - POOOOH - - as the air goes out

of our balloon. Hawks have no idea on how to close out a game.

Now, is JT a great point guard, a great leader? No, he's not. Is Joe Johnson a great point guard, a

great leader? Nope. Is Crawford a great point guard, capable of leading the team here, late in the

fourth quarter? Again, sadly we have to answer, No, he's not.

Without leadership late in the game, too many times it comes down to "Let me" instead of "Let us"

as everyone wants to take the winning shot. To be the hero for tonight. When, in fact, the true hero

many times isn't that player making the shot. It's the player who set it all up and had the assist.

Another problem, which has nothing to do with the PG. What happens to the defense and rebounding

late in the 4th quarter IN EVERY GAME? In the last five or six minutes, Hawks can't hit a shot and our

opponent can't miss.

:cant believe:

Edited by Gray Mule

• Premium Member

You guys got it all wrong.

Bibby out is part of the problem. BUt the bigger problem was Big Z in. When Big Z came in, he shut down AL and Smoove's inside play, he grabbed all the defensive rebounds, and we just shrunk. We are not aggressive against Big Centers. Part of the problem might be Bibby. However, when I see Smoove and Al shooting from farther and farther outside, I say, damn...

Wasn't Marvin 7-10? How is that being lost?

He turned the ball over a few times, a big example just before halftime Lebron stole a lazy pass from Marvin for a 3-point play. During a critical stretch of the second half, Marvin didn't look to score and there was one play Horford tried to give Marvin the ball and Marvin got rid of it immediately which led to a bad turnover.

Marvin played better in spurts, but the guy still hasn't put together a WHOLE GAME all year, except three or four times.

He still has a tendency to hide in the corner and not be an active part of the offense, and for the Hawks to beat the Cavs, Marvin has to maintain an aggressive, confident attitude for the WHOLE GAME...

Maybe Lebron can turn it on or off, but Marvin has to keep his mind focused on making offensive plays for 48 minutes.

Bibby out is part of the problem. BUt the bigger problem was Big Z in. When Big Z came in, he shut down AL and Smoove's inside play, he grabbed all the defensive rebounds, and we just shrunk. We are not aggressive against Big Centers. Part of the problem might be Bibby. However, when I see Smoove and Al shooting from farther and farther outside, I say, damn...

You're right Diesel. It happens vs. Dwight and Orlando and it happens vs. Cleveland. Big Al and Josh lose their aggressiveness and have a tendency to throw up fadeaways or rushed jumpers. Josh started to go to the basket in the 3rd quarter, and had a TWO THREE-POINT PLAYS, but this was after the Cavs built a 10-pt. lead in the 3rd quarter.

Big Al has to have a plan to attack those big centers, but in the 4th quarter, we really needed a POINT GUARD to handle the pressure and DIRECT THE OFFENSE, play defense vs. Mo williams and hit a few timely jumpers.... Bibby has SAT in two of three games, and the HAWKS SEEMS LOST AS A TEAM (i.e. spacing on the floor, not being able to get solid shots).. This is where having a QUICK PG llike a Rondo or Westbrook or Chris Paul can CLOSE OUT GAMES... Cleveland was VULNERABLE, but the Hawks just said UNCLE or gave up first.

Big Z might of helped but don't discredit J.J. Hickson. He seemed to pick up his energy level in the 2nd half as opposed to the first. Also the Cavs picked up their defense in guarding Jamal & Joe on the perimeter.

Sitting Bibby down is what has helped the Hawks 4th quarter performances over the past month.

Last night the Hawks big problems were that they got outrebounded by 19 and they continually settled for jumpers which nobody was hitting.

I wondered how long it would take before someone mentioned the EMBARRASSING rebounding performance we had last night. Being outrebounded by 19 is probably the biggest reason why we lost.

The Hawks are not a team who can afford to be outrebounded by a sizable margin against good-to-elite teams.

Period.

• Like 1

:thumbsdownsmileyanim:

Melt down. Missed rebounds. Missed shots.

ONE OTHER THING:

Hawks missed 6 free throws. Got beat by 5 points. (Do the math)

Along with everything else, this alone is enough to insure the loss.

:cant believe:

• Premium Member

You're right Diesel. It happens vs. Dwight and Orlando and it happens vs. Cleveland. Big Al and Josh lose their aggressiveness and have a tendency to throw up fadeaways or rushed jumpers. Josh started to go to the basket in the 3rd quarter, and had a TWO THREE-POINT PLAYS, but this was after the Cavs built a 10-pt. lead in the 3rd quarter.

Big Al has to have a plan to attack those big centers, but in the 4th quarter, we really needed a POINT GUARD to handle the pressure and DIRECT THE OFFENSE, play defense vs. Mo williams and hit a few timely jumpers.... Bibby has SAT in two of three games, and the HAWKS SEEMS LOST AS A TEAM (i.e. spacing on the floor, not being able to get solid shots).. This is where having a QUICK PG llike a Rondo or Westbrook or Chris Paul can CLOSE OUT GAMES... Cleveland was VULNERABLE, but the Hawks just said UNCLE or gave up first.

I agree. However, I also note that in Cleveland the refs were blind to anything against the Cavs. Our guys got brutalized (a lot) but no call was the order of the day. Two things this team will have to learn to do: Develop thick skin and learn to box out on every rebound.

• Premium Member

Big Z might of helped but don't discredit J.J. Hickson. He seemed to pick up his energy level in the 2nd half as opposed to the first. Also the Cavs picked up their defense in guarding Jamal & Joe on the perimeter.

We scored at ease on Hickson. He was more of an offensive threat than Z, but Z was killing us on both ends on the boards. It was his rebounding that shut down our inside game. For a while there, we were money on the inside. We continued to shoot. I think we need to develop better BBIQ. If inside is working, work inside. I think the way we beat Cleveland is to build a lead on them.. They can't trade baskets with us if we have a big lead. They have to go small and try to catch up.

I agree. However, I also note that in Cleveland the refs were blind to anything against the Cavs. Our guys got brutalized (a lot) but no call was the order of the day. Two things this team will have to learn to do: Develop thick skin and learn to box out on every rebound.

Yep its totally the refs fault for everything. :beathorse: