• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks Picks in Mock Drafts Following the Lottery

AHF

Trade Marvin and a future 1st to get Paul George

Busboy, have you ever even seen Paul George play ? (Youtube highlights don't count)

This is what I thought of him when all I did was read websites and watch youtube videos.

http://www.hawksquaw...35-paul-george/

This is what I thought after his only televised game of 2010:

http://www.hawksquawk.net/community/index.php/topic/343730-2272010-is-scouts-day/

Seeing live games can really open a persons eyes to reality. I had just got done watching OSU beat #1 Kansas. Watching Fresno St. after that was like watching a highschool game. I'll venture to say that most of the guys writing these internet draft site reviews never watched 1 single Fresno State game.

I'd rather take a risk on project center then a bean pole like George, who only shot 42% vs. pathetic competition.

D. Jones & T. Wahite interviewed after Hawks workout:

http://www.nba.com/hawks/video/2010/06/14/PLAYERSONLARRY-1347740/index.html

S. Robinson, D. Hobson, & P. Sy are interviewed after Hawks workout:

http://www.nba.com/hawks/video/2010/06/14/PLAYERSONLARRY-1347740/index.html

I don't put a lot into interviews but Sy stood out as being very raw talking about his height,speed, and passing abilities as his strongest assets. The others just talked mainly about working hard which is the company line all their agents have drilled into them I am sure. Other thing was Robinson and Hobson mentioned they shot the ball well. Robinson was estatic lol

Edited by Buzzard

Thanks Coach. Wish Cunningham was giving a detailed account or some tweets of the workouts though. Sad to hear D. Jones still struggling with his shot, I really like him at our 1st round pick.

I could not agree more. I would like to hear the reaction of some of the players from the workouts, I have had enough of the Larry Drew articles & posts for the last few days.

Thanks Coach. Wish Cunningham was giving a detailed account or some tweets of the workouts though. Sad to hear D. Jones still struggling with his shot, I really like him at our 1st round pick.

Sund is really keeping it tight and professional. According to the Hawks website NO press is allowed in to see the workouts. They are only allowed in once the workouts are over where they interview the prospects.

http://www.nba.com/h...t_Workouts.html

What: Atlanta Hawks Pre-Draft Workouts

Sessions are closed to media, but players are expected to be available for interviews following workouts.

When: Workouts are scheduled to begin at 9:30 a.m. each day.

Media should arrive approximately 90 minutes after the scheduled start of each workout.

Schedule subject to change. Please contact Hawks media relations to confirm times.

Edited by coachx

Sund is really keeping it tight and professional. According to the Hawks wesite NO press is allowed in to see the workouts. They are only allowed in once the workouts are over where they interview the prospects.

http://www.nba.com/hawks/news/2010_Draft_Prospect_Workouts.html

They have not allowed the media in the workouts for some years now, this started before Sund got here. However, Micheal Cunnigham could still talk to the players after the workout sessions, just to get a feel on how they think they impressed the Hawks' staff.

• Premium Member

Sund is really keeping it tight and professional. According to the Hawks website NO press is allowed in to see the workouts. They are only allowed in once the workouts are over where they interview the prospects.

http://www.nba.com/h...t_Workouts.html

You do know that is called the Jason Walker Rule from our old friend Jaywalker's days on realgm.com right?

You do know that is called the Jason Walker Rule from our old friend Jaywalker's days on realgm.com right?

Yep......made JW lose his media credentials, with the Hawks, if I remember correctly. It happened b/c he gave an honest opinion on workouts that pissed off agents. I can't recall what year that was. Was it the Smoove / Chillz draft ? Agents want writers to give politically correct articles where every prospect is written about in a positive light.....even if they performed like crap.

If I remember right Luke Jackson's agent made a big fuss about it b/c JW said he sucked in workouts. 3 years later the guy was out of the league.

It seems Sekou was able to get in on some of the workouts but no others writers were allowed in. Maybe I'm wrong there. At least back to the Marvin Willaims draft. I remember us having photos of Marvin schooling a chair in workouts and dribbling up the court for uncontested dunks.

Edited by coachx

• Premium Member

Yep......made JW use his credentials if I rememver correctly b/c he gave an honest opinion on workouts that pissed off agents. I can't recall what year that was. Was it the Smoove / Chillz draft ?

It seems Sekou was able to get in on some of the workouts. At least back to the Marvin Willaims draft. I remember us having photos of Marvin schooling a chair in workouts and dribbling up the court for uncontested dunks.

I hope Jason shows up to correct me if I'm wrong but I think it was the agent for Luke Jackson that went ape **** about Jason's report and how it quickly got read around the NBA.

Busboy, have you ever even seen Paul George play ? (Youtube highlights don't count)

This is what I thought of him when all I did was read websites and watch youtube videos.

http://www.hawksquaw...35-paul-george/

This is what I thought after his only televised game of 2010:

http://www.hawksquawk.net/community/index.php/topic/343730-2272010-is-scouts-day/

Seeing live games can really open a persons eyes to reality. I had just got done watching OSU beat #1 Kansas. Watching Fresno St. after that was like watching a highschool game. I'll venture to say that most of the guys writing these internet draft site reviews never watched 1 single Fresno State game.

I'd rather take a risk on project center then a bean pole like George, who only shot 42% vs. pathetic competition.

Admittedly no but the guy also shot 90% from the FT line. He's got all the physical tools to be an elite player. His percentages could have been an indication of a guy who had to carry the load

Noc and 5 for Prince and 7? Bleh.

If SAC doesn't feel Cousins will reach his potential I think this is a great trade for SAC. Getting out of Nocioni's deal and picking up a veteran in Prince.

I'd be curious if Sund has received any of interest phone calls. Who does Larry Drew want to stay? Or go?

According to DX, Orton may have a promise from the Thunder and will not workout for the Hawks.

It would have been nice for Sund and our scouts to see Orton, Alabi, & Sanders go head to head on June 22 as they were scheduled. Orton better watch out. If a player slips to the Thunder's spot that they didn't expect they would quickly go back on a promise....any team would.

Sonics / Thunder need a center in the worst way......they have since Sund and Gary Payton were there. They did when Sund and Ray Allen were there. Many a 1st round pick were used on centers and they are still looking. If they draft for need then there is no doubt they draft a big.

I would not mind it at all if Sund takes another hack at a big. The Hawks and Sund have to get lucky eventually. The only way the Hawks will ever get a good center, without trading their core, is to get a little lucky in the draft. If you don't swing you will never hit.

It sucks NBA free agency comes after the draft. It is opposite in the NFL and MLB. It would be nice to know wheter JJ will be a Hawk or not when draft time comes around.

Edited by coachx

It would have been nice for Sund and our scouts to see Orton, Alabi, & Sanders go head to head on June 22 as they were scheduled. Orton better watch out. If a player slips to the Thunder's spot that they didn't expect they would quickly go back on a promise....any team would.

When it comes to teams making promises to youngsters, they are pretty much honor bound to fulfill them because they essentially forced the youngster and his agent to alter their workout plans and prevent other teams from getting a look at them. This may be tough tittaaay for the player but agents never forget and the bad karma they can unleash has subtle repercussions for years to come.

Look at the lament of LB.

When it comes to teams making promises to youngsters, they are pretty much honor bound to fulfill them because they essentially forced the youngster and his agent to alter their workout plans and prevent other teams from getting a look at them. This may be tough tittaaay for the player but agents never forget and the bad karma they can unleash has subtle repercussions for years to come.

Look at the lament of LB.

That is fine and dandy but if Monroe or Aldrich slip to #12 do you think a GM is going to take Orton over them ?

Who knows ?

I know Larry Brown wishes they would have drafted Paul Pierce over Larry Hughes.

Edited by coachx

Of course LB regrets it, he practically admits to it but that "promise to the kid" made them over think the clear value pick. Monroe or Aldrich slipping to #12 is one thing but to #21 where the Thunder not only pick but have a need? That would mean the draft went full topsy turvy with teams grasping at straws early, also means yippee for us . Either way it's not so much of a stretch for an agent to shut down workouts for teams picking after 21 for a 6'10' 270 pound Center. Even in the unlikelihood that a top 10 pick drops that far there's still no chance Orton falls another 3 spots to us.

Of course LB regrets it, he practically admits to it but that "promise to the kid" made them over think the clear value pick. Monroe or Aldrich slipping to #12 is one thing but to #21 where the Thunder not only pick but have a need? That would mean the draft went full topsy turvy with teams grasping at straws early, also means yippee for us . Either way it's not so much of a stretch for an agent to shut down workouts for teams picking after 21 for a 6'10' 270 pound Center. Even in the unlikelihood that a top 10 pick drops that far there's still no chance Orton falls another 3 spots to us.

I forgot they had the 21st pick. All the reports I have read are that they will trade that pick.......I guess that made me think the speculative "promise" was for pick #12.....though it could be #21.

Any way..........you know what they say when the draft is just a week away. 75% of the information is just misinformation any way.