• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks Picks in Mock Drafts Following the Lottery

AHF

Here's players I like that may fall to us...

SHOOTING GUARD

Dominque Jones - rising

Paul George - rising fast

SMALL FORWARD

Craig Brackens - rising fast

Quincy Pondexter - rising

POWER FORWARD

Larry Sanders - mid first, around pick 20

CENTERS

Solomon Alabi - could fall fight before pick 24.

Dexter Pittman - second round grade

The only player on that list that I have actually seen play is Pondexter. I like him. I can't comment on the others.

I'd love to move up and nab Paul George. If not, Quincy Pondexter intrigues me.

Have you ever seen George play ? He had 1 game on national television. Here you go, check out how he did. He measurements intrigue me so much I recorded it. Too bad he had the worst game of the season. 0-5 FGs with 0 points in a blow out loss.

http://www.hawksquawk.net/community/index.php/topic/343730-2272010-is-scouts-day/

Edited by coachx

Here are the guys the experts are predicting we will get:

[

Sporting News

Hopefully he will be a dramatically better pro than his brother, who was the higher rated prospect out of HS.

http://www.sportingnews.com/blog/The_Baseline/entry/view/66453

This is my pick for the Hawks as well. Im a Xavier homer for sure but this kid played big time in the tourney and made huge shots. He of corse also gave Lemom a nice facial dunk that Lemom tried hard to cover up. This is not only a smart pick if JJ bolts but even if JJ stays Jamaal Crawfords deal is up after next season and Jordan is not a bad pick to groom his replacement.

lets go full Texas. Damian James in the 1st, Dexter Pittman in the 2nd. Dexter Pittman reminds of Kendrick Perkins, just gets his job done.

LOL

Pittman only looks like Perkins when he is standing still.

Pitt definately does not get the job done. He can't play more then 5 minutes in row b/c he has the worst endurance of anyone I saw in college basketball last year. Plus he is ALWAYSE in foul trouble.

Pittman = bum

I find it hilarious how fans have "favorites" who have they have never even seen play.

Edited by coachx

Have you ever seen George play ? He had 1 game on national television. Here you go, check out how he did. He measurements intrigue me so much I recorded it. Too bad he had the worst game of the season. 0-5 FGs with 0 points in a blow out loss.

http://www.hawksquawk.net/community/index.php/topic/343730-2272010-is-scouts-day/

You're right. I'm not talking about moving up to the top 10 for him. I mean if we like him in workouts moving up a couple of spots. We need an aggressive SF that can shoot and attack. If that isn't him then nevermind. I do like Pondexter, though.

LOL

Pittman only looks like Perkins when he is standing still.

Pitt definately does not get the job done. He can't play more then 5 minutes in row b/c he has the worst endurance of anyone I saw in college basketball last year. Plus he is ALWAYSE in foul trouble.

Pittman = bum

I find it hilarious how fans have "favorites" who have they have never even seen play.

I have seen him play on several occasions and as rotational bench player 5 min spurts is all he needs. But common, as a 2nd round Pick that is all you need him to do. When perkins got in the league he wasn't getting that much mins either.

Edited by AliznotaCenter

I have seen him play on several occasions and as rotational bench player 5 min spurts is all he needs. But common, as a 2nd round Pick that is all you need him to do. When perkins got in the league he wasn't getting that much mins either.

I agree. With the 24th pick in the 2nd round you take left overs.

The Kendrick Perkins comparison is just wrong. That guy came straight out of HS. Perkins in college vs. 6'7'' centers would have been ugly.

Pittman is college is like what Randolp Morris is at NBA level. At least Morris was dominant against college competitiion and not below average and out of shape like Pittman is.

BTW............Morris went undrafted and was 10 X more talented then Pittman.

I'd take Garrett Siler over Pittman. Hopefully we can bring him back to camp and see how he has progressed playing ball in China this season. That is probably what Pittman needs to do to. Play some over seas ball to help get in shape and polish his game.

Edited by coachx

I forgot all about garett siler hopefully he is In better shape and has improved a little.

Edit

Hmm 14 Pts and 9 rebs in china. I'm not sure what to think of that in a Chinese leugue.

Edited by AliznotaCenter

I agree. With the 24th pick in the 2nd round you take left overs.

The Kendrick Perkins comparison is just wrong. That guy came straight out of HS. Perkins in college vs. 6'7'' centers would have been ugly.

Pittman is college is like what Randolp Morris is at NBA level. At least Morris was dominant against college competitiion and not below average and out of shape like Pittman is.

BTW............Morris went undrafted and was 10 X more talented then Pittman.

I'd take Garrett Siler over Pittman. Hopefully we can bring him back to camp and see how he has progressed playing ball in China this season. That is probably what Pittman needs to do to. Play some over seas ball to help get in shape and polish his game.

I can't believe someone compared Pittman to Perkins. I wouldn't take Siler over him but Perkins.

Can we move up in the 2nd round? Would packaging the 2011 2ndround pick Houston owes us for with our own pick move us up to at least the 40's range? I just don't see anyone being around @53pick that could help us in anyway.

Edited by Blunt91

The more I look at the strengths and weaknesses of this Hawks team, the more I think the Hawks would be very fortunate to get Quincy Pondexter in this draft. The worst aspect on this Hawks team is their perimeter defense. Joe Johnson is by far the Hawks best perimeter defender, and he's not great at that aspect by any means. He's good by comparison, and that's because Mike Bibby and Jamal Crawford are so bad at it. Quincy Pondexter may be the best perimeter defender in this draft. Some will bemoan his lack of perimeter shooting, but I think he makes up for it with his high basketball IQ. He knows he's not a great shooter so he doesn't range that far from the basket. Even without that range, Quincy averaged 1.24 points per possession during his senior season and had a 63% true shooting percentage. Most of his work came from working isolation plays in the post and working the short baseline area. He did a lot of work creating his own shot, and he either got to the rim or pulled up for a jumper. He really improved his jumper overall as he scored 0.94 points per possessions on his jumper. He also does a solid job of getting to the free throw line, where he has improved his percentages in each of the past three years.

This is my pick for the Hawks as well. Im a Xavier homer for sure but this kid played big time in the tourney and made huge shots. He of corse also gave Lemom a nice facial dunk that Lemom tried hard to cover up. This is not only a smart pick if JJ bolts but even if JJ stays Jamaal Crawfords deal is up after next season and Jordan is not a bad pick to groom his replacement.

I would honestly be absolutely elated if we could get that guy at #24. That would be without a doubt in my mind 1 of the biggest steals of the draft. The guy is basically another Jamal Crawford with more athleticism.

http://www.sportingnews.com/blog/The_Baseline/entry/view/66453

Edited by HawkFoLife

Another guy I like for Atlanta is Gordon Hayward. If you want someone on the perimeter that can be a catch and shoot jump shooter that will defend his position, then Gordon is the guy for you. Offensively, he could be somewhat similar to Mike Miller. Defensively, he's somewhat similar to Shane Battier in the sense that he is a smart defender who lacks overall athleticism but will never give up on a play.

Here are 3 more mocks:

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/draft/mock

The FSU 7 footer is available for us in all 3 of these mocks. He is intriguing but, like all bigs taken this late, carry risk. I have no problem taking a swing at him here.

Well known guys like James Anderson and Damion James are going right around 24 in these mocks. I would love to luck out and get either 1 of those 2. No way I could turn down either if 1 slips to #24.

Damion James reminds me of a young S. Marion. Just a big ball of energy. He is alwayse the most active guy on the floor and was effective playing bigger guys as a PF and can defend the SF position very well. Both of those guys are solid defenders. Anderson had his worst game of the year in the NCAA Tounrney vs. Ga. Tech. If that is the only game you saw him play don't be too quick to judge. He has a silky smooth jumper with high elevation and he releases his shots high allowing him to shoot over defenders. He has limitless range and above average hops. Excellent catch & shoot player. Leading scorer in the Big 12. Good size and strength for a SG. His lack of ball handling may let him drop.

There are some good bigs projected to slip in the 2nd that are worth taking flyers on:

Jordan

Vanardo

N'Diaye

Parakhouski

Edited by coachx

Here are 3 more mocks:

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/draft/mock

The FSU 7 footer is available for us in all 3 of these mocks. He is intriguing but, like all bigs taken this late, carry risk. I have no problem taking a swing at him here.

Well known guys like James Anderson and Damion James are going right around 24 in these mocks. I would love to luck out and get either 1 of those 2. No way I could turn down either if 1 slips to #24.

Damion James reminds me of a young S. Marion. Just a big ball of energy. He is alwayse the most active guy on the floor and was effective playing bigger guys as a PF and can defend the SF position very well. Both of those guys are solid defenders. Anderson had his worst game of the year in the NCAA Tounrney vs. Ga. Tech. If that is the only game you saw him play don't be too quick to judge. He has a silky smooth jumper with high elevation and he releases his shots high allowing him to shoot over defenders. He has limitless range and above average hops. Excellent catch & shoot player. Leading scorer in the Big 12. Good size and strength for a SG. His lack of ball handling may let him drop.

There are some good bigs projected to slip in the 2nd that are worth taking flyers on:

Jordan

Vanardo

N'Diaye

Parakhouski

Those Bigs will probably be gone by the time we pick, which was why we need to move up.

Thanks for the link, looks like Cousins might be a bit on the chubby side at 16% bodyfat. maybe that will stop the theads of wanting to trade Al or Josh for this guy.

Ya...........hopefully he does not pull an Eddy Curry. Cousins has so much potential and skill for his size that only he can let go to waist. He much lighter on his feet then Curry ever was but the work ethic and attitude concerns cannot be ignored.

Any man who comes into the biggest job interview of their life unprepared shows they have some issues between the ears. Still, the clay that is there to mold is mouth watering.

Edited by coachx

Here's what I wrote a couple weeks ago in another thread and I'm still OK with all these thoughts.

I think I'll have to have a better idea of who the coach is before I could really say who I would pick. I don't believe at all in drafting for need when you are selecting this late but I do think that trying to find a guy who will fit your system is important. If you get a solid roleplayer drafting this late then I think you are doing a great job.

I'd love to get Udoh on the team but I think he is going to end up a top 10 pick.

Pondexter is defintiely the guy I am highest on that is projected to be there when the Hawks select. I think he is going to be a very solid pro. I think the only reason he won't go higher is because NBA guys shy away from Seniors.

Depending on the coach I'd be awfully interested in Avery Bradley and turning him into a lock down defender at PG and let him knock down open shots. He is listed at SG but if the Hawks are going to initiate their offense from other positions I think he would be a great fit.

Luke Babbitt I'd be pretty pleased with. As long as he can add strength without it diminishing his shooting touch I think he would be a great addition.

For Pondexter I think when a major college player is the star offensive player but is also asked to take the toughest defensive assignments then that should speak volumes. Defense is undervalued.

I'd rather much rather take Zoubek in round 2 than Alabi in round 1. But forme I think you want a big body as a backup- I don't care about having a "traditional starting center"