• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks souring on Avery Johnson?

Sothron

• Premium Member

Per rotoworld:

The Hawks may have soured on head coach candidate Avery Johnson because of his desire to control personnel decisions.

A similar power grab may have cost Johnson his job in Dallas, and it recently caused the Hornets to eliminate him from their ongoing search. Sam Amick of Fanhouse.com reports that Dwane Casey is the new favorite to land the job in Atlanta, with Mark Jackson running a close second.

Interesting if this is true. I wonder what kind of control Avery was trying to get when we already have a Gm that has full personnel control?

There has to be a really good reason why a coach with as good of record as Johnson has been unemployed for going on two years.

Well, that reason may be the idea that he is a control freak. Last year, he refused to even interview for a job if the team was going to interview other candidates. He wanted to be the only person the team interviewed. Now, it looks like he is wanting control over personnel to become a head coach.

screw Avery...if he's such a control freak without the resume to warrant it, then let him stay unemployed.

Part of me thinks a control freak is exactly what this team needs, and part of me would rather have a coach that stresses discipline but also gives his players some leeway.

That's the thing with this coaching search though. You can make a case for and against every candidate that has been mentioned.

Avery Johnson

Pros: He won games with a very good Dallas team and has coached in the NBA finals. He has coached up some strong defenses and effiient offenses.

Cons: He's a control freak that wants total control. His hard driving, no nonsense style will end up causing him to wear out his welcome. He wants personnel decision making power.

Dwane Casey

Pros: Very respected coach whose players enjoy playing for. Strong defensive coach that fielded a top 10 defensive unit that didn't have very good defenders. Stresses discipline, yet doesn't focus so much on the smaller details that it drives his players nuts.

Cons: Not successful in his first stint as a head coach. Does not have a strong reputation as an offensive mind.

Mark Jackson

Pros: Former point guard that seems to have a good mind for the game.

Cons: No coaching experience.

Tyrone Corbin

Pros: Former player who has spent the last six years on the staff of one of the league's elite coaches.

Cons: No head coaching experience.

Dean Demopolous

Pros: Strong defensive coach who is an expert on the zone defense. Very well respected.

Cons: No head coaching experience.

There is no possible way Avery wants full control. It just doesn't make any sense for him to tell his possible boss (the GM) that once you hire me your work is done. My guess is he wants the veto power to say no to any player acquisitions. Imagine Mike Woodson with the authority to slap Billy Knight after Knight tells him we are gonna take Sheldon Williams.

I have no problem with a coach that knows what type of players he needs in order to win.......Bill Parcells said it best. "They want you to cook the dinner, at least they ought to let you shop for some of the groceries"

There is no possible way Avery wants full control. It just doesn't make any sense for him to tell his possible boss (the GM) that once you hire me your work is done. My guess is he wants the veto power to say no to any player acquisitions. Imagine Mike Woodson with the authority to slap Billy Knight after Knight tells him we are gonna take Sheldon Williams.

I have no problem with a coach that knows what type of players he needs in order to win.......Bill Parcells said it best. "They want you to cook the dinner, at least they ought to let you shop for some of the groceries"

I think it's been pretty well shown that it is near impossible to be GM and HC and have sustained success, in any sport. The two jobs, espc in the modern era, are just too divergent and require too much attention. Avery needs to decide if wants to be a GM or a HC.

In either position he needs to partner with the other guy. if he's GM then he has final say on personnel moves. If HC then he has final say on game decisions.

I agree at this point to not hire Avery, IF these rumors are true (and I have no reason to doubt them).

• Moderators

(1) Big picture - I am not a fan of dual coach/GM roles.

(2) Woodson could not have seemed happier about that Shelden pick and was rumored to have been a driving force behind it even before it went sour.

(2) Woodson could not have seemed happier about that Shelden pick and was rumored to have been a driving force behind it even before it went sour.

I firmly believe that BK's odd behavior during the Shelden draft was his way of telegraphing "This is not my doing".

• Premium Member

I firmly believe that BK's odd behavior during the Shelden draft was his way of telegraphing "This is not my doing".

So you guys actually think Shelden Williams was Woody idea? hmmm...never heard that before.

• Admin

Mark Jackson

Cons: No coaching experience.

That is exactly why I don't want Mark Jackson. He has NO coaching experience. I am okay with getting an asst Coach but no experience at all will be a big mistake. There is a big difference from analyzing a team from an announcers chair compared to being on the bench, taking part in the practices, coming up with plays, adjusting during a game etc. I hope we don't hire Jackson to be our coach. It is the biggest unknown of all of the candidates.

Just read that the russian owner of the Nets wants Johnson as coach. That dude is going to throw money around like its rice at a wedding. I am real curious to see if Mark Jackson is really a consideration. It seems that former pgs turn out to be pretty good coaches. Dwayne Casey has Woody Jr. written all over him.

Just read that the russian owner of the Nets wants Johnson as coach. That dude is going to throw money around like its rice at a wedding. I am real curious to see if Mark Jackson is really a consideration. It seems that former pgs turn out to be pretty good coaches. Dwayne Casey has Woody Jr. written all over him.

I would like someone to show me evidence of why they think this. Is it because he has is strong defensive coach? Dwane Casey had top 10 defenses in both seasons he coached the Timberwolves with a very limited big man rotation. Has Mike Woodson ever coached up a top 10 defense in Atlanta?

No matter who the hawks hire this board is going to erupt in a panic for 7 to 10 days - I can hardly wait

:snowballfight:

Sure it will. I agree 100%!

Whoever is signed, it will be the wrong one and "Fire the coach" will be sure to follow closely behind the hire.

Some candidates have experience, either as assistants or as a former head coach. Others have none.

We're sure and certain that it will be impossible for any of those without experience to be able to handle

the job AND whoever has had any experience, that proves he can't possibly do the job.

Whatever happens, it's wrong. Count on it!

:cant believe:

• Premium Member

I'll have to say that Mark Jackson is intriuging..........................but he has no coaching experience. He knows the game and was a "true floor leader in a pg", and a very good defensive player, so he knows what to do. Don't know about interactions with players.