• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Reaction to LD's new offense coming to the NBA.

JTB

Personally this fires me up that LD is about to implement his own offense, the only thing that I can really see that worries fans is, is this going to work? but I dont worry about that I beilieve many unique offenses can work if executed right! so while many of you have a negative attitude about LD's new offense that will be new to the NBA, you and me should be more worried if Hawk players can execute it the right way. In other words nothing can be wrong with a offense, it could be the players running it that may make it seem as if it dont work. Think about it if the hawks was running Phil's Triangle offense do you really think we will succeed at first try.........no it will take some getting use to but there will be those who say the triangle offense dont work! But we know thats a lie cause clearly Phil has won 10 and maybe going on 11 NBA championships with that offense, so it works! Anyways LD's new offense will be great and it seems as if he has been thinking this over for some time over the last six years as if he specficially drew this new offense for our Hawks! We just need to make sure the hawks execute the offense gameplan right and we will be ok!

Edited by JTB

• Premium Member

I have little doubt that the offense itself is probably well-designed in theory and on paper.

As you suggest, the real question is whether players will execute very well in the heat of a game what they are taught on the practice court... that is, if it is a particularly complex offense, then it becomes literally a question of intelligence... more specifically, the ability of players to mentally process and make productive decisions based on what they are seeing on the court at higher rates of speed than their opponents can. And when a player has multiple options on the court... by the way... that can produce confusion which predicts a ratcheted-up assist/turnover rate.

My thinking is that part of what dummied-down our on-court play under Woody was much the same thing as when you have a pitcher who takes too long on the mound to get the sign and make his pitches. That is, our offense previously was so focused on isolation and kick-outs, it permitted the other players to become mentally disengaged. I do think the advantage here is that we have assembled a roster with more pure athleticism, and that motion plays to our advantage for that reason... and too, because we have big guys who actually can handle the ball and pass well--not many teams can say that.

A key, as almost all of us seem to acknowledge is Teague's development.

JTB, I'm pretty excited to see this offence as well. LD said in a recent intervew with with the AJC that they ran some of his offensive sets under Woody. I always thought the Hawks played their best last year when they moved or passed the ball. Perhaps these could have been some of LD's sets.

Strut, I agree to some extent that the more options available on offence isn't always a good thing. However, as the players get used to the options, and how their teammates will react in certain situations, the decisions become almost instinctive and don't require much thought.

I remember watching that Kobe documentary where he said that the Triagle offence was not easy to learn but, becasue they've practiced it so much, they instinctivly know where the other players are going to be on the floor at all times.

• Premium Member

Makes me skeptical . . . . . how often does a truly new inovation come along? Only time will tell. If it turns out to be the next big thing ??? great for us and Woody looks like a moron. BIG IF

Truly new is a relative term, of course.

It will be, like anything else, a different mix of other things already done.

• Premium Member

Eddie Jordan was preaching the same jive when he was hired to coach the 76ers. Truth is basketball is as simple as playing harder than the next guy. Sometimes we fans drastically overrate the system. If Drew can get these guys to earn their money he'll win but if he put all his effort in the system, while doing nothing to address the mental shortcomings, this team will fail miserably.

• Like 2

I have little doubt that the offense itself is probably well-designed in theory and on paper.

As you suggest, the real question is whether players will execute very well in the heat of a game what they are taught on the practice court... that is, if it is a particularly complex offense, then it becomes literally a question of intelligence... more specifically, the ability of players to mentally process and make productive decisions based on what they are seeing on the court at higher rates of speed than their opponents can. And when a player has multiple options on the court... by the way... that can produce confusion which predicts a ratcheted-up assist/turnover rate.

My thinking is that part of what dummied-down our on-court play under Woody was much the same thing as when you have a pitcher who takes too long on the mound to get the sign and make his pitches. That is, our offense previously was so focused on isolation and kick-outs, it permitted the other players to become mentally disengaged. I do think the advantage here is that we have assembled a roster with more pure athleticism, and that motion plays to our advantage for that reason... and too, because we have big guys who actually can handle the ball and pass well--not many teams can say that.

A key, as almost all of us seem to acknowledge is Teague's development.

I either read a recent article or saw a video of LD saying his offense is based on movement and instinct. Basically saying that it was simplistic in the matter of movement and easy shots. I know I need to find my source but from what I heard/saw it seems to be something that takes a lot of pressure off of all of our players and gets people in spots that cater to their strengths.

I either read a recent article or saw a video of LD saying his offense is based on movement and instinct. Basically saying that it was simplistic in the matter of movement and easy shots. I know I need to find my source but from what I heard/saw it seems to be something that takes a lot of pressure off of all of our players and gets people in spots that cater to their strengths.

exactly and thats what i read to. that is why i beilieve he has really thought this new offense over maybe over the last 3 years he has been here getting to know the players. he knows the strengths and weaknesses of all our players. the hawks just got to execute it well.

Now here's the question. List the offensive strengths of these players

Teague

JJ

Marvin

Smith

Horford

Crawford

Evans

Zaza

Bibby

This is the core that will possibly make up the team, if JJ is re-signed. So what are the offensive strengths of each player? Not potentially . . . actual offensive strengths.

Edited by northcyde