• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Sheridan reporting Joe wants to see how things develop

sturt

• Premium Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5350787

Joe Johnson already has a six-year max offer from the Atlanta Hawks, but still hadn't committed to signing it Friday because he wants to see how things shake out with the other maximum-salary free agents, two NBA sources told ESPN.com Friday night.

Sources said Johnson was still considering whether it would be a better career move to play in New York or Chicago, and his ultimate decision would hinge upon which of the top free agents make commitments to those teams.

Johnson

Johnson

The Knicks were the first team to meet with Johnson when he became a free agent at 12:01 a.m. ET Thursday, making it known that he was among the players atop their wish list. The Bulls contacted Johnson as well, but did not meet with him.

When Atlanta quickly offered Johnson approximately $119 million over six years -- nearly $27 million more than any other team could offer -- it was believed the four-time All-Star was no longer available.

But sources said his continued hesitancy to commit to the deal was a sign that Johnson wanted to keep his options open.

One source said the chances of Johnson accepting Atlanta's offer were "slightly" better that 50-50.

If Johnson chose a team other than the Hawks, he could still sign a max contract if a sign-and-trade could be worked out.

The Knicks have reportedly told Amare Stoudemire they are prepared to offer him a five-year contract worth approximately $99 million, but New York was not ready to make any hard commitment until the free agent market developed further. The Knicks plan to wait for updates from Chris Bosh, who spoke with them Friday morning, LeBron James, who they met with Thursday afternoon, and Dwyane Wade, who met with Knicks officials in Chicago on Friday and described himself as "intrigued" by New York.

The Knicks' contingent returned to New York after the meeting with Bosh and Wade in Chicago, and is expected to hold its first face-to-face meeting with Stoudemire over the weekend.

The Bulls, meanwhile, spent 2½ hours in a second meeting with Wade on Friday night as ESPN.com's Chad Ford reported Wade was on the fence about joining his hometown team.

James will meet with Bulls officials in Cleveland on Saturday afternoon after hearing the last-gasp pitch from the team he might leave, the Cleveland Cavaliers.

There has been no clear indication from James' camp as to when he will make his decision.

• Premium Member

Nope, I'm not gonna settle in until I see who else settles in Sturt.

You gonna settle in?

If by "settle in" one means something like, "anticipate the roller coaster ride and don't get too caught up in any high or low"... yeah, I'm settled in....

I really hate the way the NBA is conducting this free agency period. I'm so used to the way MLB and the NFL does it, which is the only way in my opinion that it makes sense- that being that once the clock strikes 12:01 on that designated day of free agency opening, players can start signing with teams immediately, there's not this one week lag like in the NBA. I mean it's stupid to have this kind of hold-up. Why not just have it so that free-agency coincides with the new collective bargaining agreement, both kicking in at the same time and thus eliminating this pointless week in limbo for everyone.

I really think espn is trying to stir s*** up.

They've got all their talking heads out over-analyzing every player and their actions, reactions, and inactions.

If the hawks refuse to talk sign and trade (if it even goes that far) jj will have to choose to walk away from 30 million.

Edited by gsuteke

• Premium Member

I really hate the way the NBA is conducting this free agency period. I'm so used to the way MLB and the NFL does it, which is the only way in my opinion that it makes sense- that being that once the clock strikes 12:01 on that designated day of free agency opening, players can start signing with teams immediately, there's not this one week lag like in the NBA. I mean it's stupid to have this kind of hold-up. Why not just have it so that free-agency coincides with the new collective bargaining agreement, both kicking in at the same time and thus eliminating this pointless week in limbo for everyone.

Doesn't really matter. If it were the other way, we'd just be waiting another week for anything at all to happen since the league beancounters have to do what they do first. I prefer this to that.

That piece of shiznet need to get lost. If he can't decide already then get the hell out of here. Selfish good for nothing player. :slap1: Fuc JJ.

That's a little harsh. Ultimately, I get that JJ is making the decision...but he's getting so much advice and guidance about how to handle this, it cant be put all on his shoulders. If FA's could sign right now, I see more merit in your point, but that's not the case. He knows he has a MAX offer on the table, sign - sealed - delivered. Who can blame the guy for waiting a couple more meaningless days to see what happens? It's just good business, and that's what the NBA is.

Well New York is pretty much done with JJ bud's Amare's contract. Maybe JJ is thinking about New York seriously now.

I really respect Joe as a player, but for the future of the Hawks, I hope he turns the Hawks offer down and takes less money to go to New York. Will the Hawks slide back? Yes, but not as much as the talking heads at ESPN will make you think. I think some of the wins lost by losing Joe Johnson will be made up by improvements made by Jeff Teague and the rookie impact of Jordan Crawford. Seriously, is it going to be that hard to replace the combined 1.5 win shares that Joe Smith, Mario West, and Randolph Morris produced?

• Premium Member

I don't understand what there's to decide re: Atlanta. The Hawks can't offer him any extra money, and Joe knows the team and how he fits on it better than any other team in the league.

If he's not going to take the deal with Atlanta, he should tell them so and let Sund start working on S&T deals.

I don't understand what there's to decide re: Atlanta. The Hawks can't offer him any extra money, and Joe knows the team and how he fits on it better than any other team in the league.

If he's not going to take the deal with Atlanta, he should tell them so and let Sund start working on S&T deals.

It's because he's an ungrateful, spiteful S.O.B. His treatment of the fans at the end of the season should have precluded him from this kind of offer in the first place.

Problem for JJ is no other team is going to pay him the 6yr/119mil contract. The knicks are trying to sell JJ on taking less money than the 5yr/max but playing with Amare and hopefully Lebron. Joe would be crazy to leave at least 35mil on the table.

Edited by gutz

• Premium Member
Joe would be crazy to leave at least 35mil on the table.

I think he could make some of that up in New York or Chicago via endorsements he will NOT get in Atlanta, but...

I get that he wants to see what LeBron is doing. I do...

But are the Hawks really content being his last resort?

• Premium Member

I'll offer this theory....

The only REMOTELY logical reason why Joe would go elsewhere would be if he felt he could go somewhere and have an obviously better shot at a championship.

The only place that seems to fit that description is Chicago... that is to say, if he had a chance to play with Rose and, say, Bosh... that might be tempting.

I just can't imagine he could be serious about the Knicks or Heat, much for the same reasons that DWade evidently is giving second-thought to leaving Miami.