• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hollinger: "Good news Hawks fans new cap # means Joe johnson deal looks even worse at $127M"

NineOhTheRino

• Premium Member

then followed with:

Correct Johnson figure is $123.7 million. Hawks fans, you'll be muttering this number while staring at the ground quite often in a few years

Something tells me he didn't like Joe's deal

Yep, he's a tiresome clown. I joke with friends about the over/under (in seconds) for him to complain about the Hawks crowd after the start of each game. Sometimes he complains about it before the game even starts. Just another worthless hack with nothing new to say, just repeating the memes.

• Moderators

I bet you anything we will be trying to get rid of Joe and his contract about 2 years down the road.

Yes. But I'm sure that's the plan. When Babcock signed Smitty he said he wouldn't be a Hawk at the end of his contract and he wasn't. Who cares whether its 127 120 100? Its not like we're signing a questionable talent. The guy does everything well. We wouldn't have him for significantly less.

I'll side with him in the fact that it was a terrible, inflated deal, but he needs to get it in his head, it was Joe or back to the lottery.

You know, Joe is a very good player, but he is not the key to the Hawks winning games. If Joe had left, it wasn't going to cost the Hawks 20 games and thrust them into the lottery. Both Al Horford and Josh Smith contribute more to winning than Joe Johnson, and losing the 8 wins that Joe produced this past season would not make the Hawks a lottery bound team. Now, if you take away the 11 wins that Al Horford produced and the 9 wins that Josh Smith produced, then you are looking at a lottery team.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

The name I've heard more than any other has been Allan Houston. What people forget is that Houston was inquiry prone when he signed that horrible deal. To my knowledge JJ has never suffered an extended injury other than the broken facial bone.

I dont care about the money but I just dont think Joe can mentally handle the pressure of making that much money . The pressure that comes along with that money is gonna destroy him and we need to find another all nba caliber player to put next to him .

I would think JJ would leave some money on the table to just say he accepted less than the Max. Try to make himself look good in all of this. You know How Duncan,Dirk,Pierce,Wade,Bosh have all taken a little less than the max. One thing we know with JJ it is all about the money. GO GET'EM MAD MAX.

I'd love to see JJ win everybody over by saying "Hey, the original $119 mil I was offered was good enough for me. Use the rest to bring in help." Man, that would shut some haters up :go ahead:

WHAT?!?!? Hollinger was wrong? Na, that can't be. Its not like anyone on this board called him out the second he tweeted about a $127 million contract...

I am sure Joe signed for the "max" so whenever people through out numbers of $119 ~ $125 million they were trying to guess at what the cap would be. However, I believe Hollinger is calculating the max incorrectly.

Oh, snap.

And if Hollinger was at all intelligent, this IS good news for the Hawks. On the one hand you have Joe's contract increase (oh no!) but the benefits of a higher luxury tax outweigh the slight increase in salary for Joe. I don't have the exact numbers, but a quick calculation is that Joe's contract is starting around $620,462 more than originally anticipated. The new salary cap is around $2 million more than we anticipated, so the luxury tax is actually around $3 million more than anticipated. How is this NOT good news?

Edited by hawksfanatic

I'll side with him in the fact that it was a terrible, inflated deal, but he needs to get it in his head, it was Joe or back to the lottery.

The lottery may be the only way to win a championship. Maybe the Hawks get a fortunate ping pong ball and Harrison Barnes is the next NBA super star.

I would think JJ would leave some money on the table to just say he accepted less than the Max. Try to make himself look good in all of this. You know How Duncan,Dirk,Pierce,Wade,Bosh have all taken a little less than the max. One thing we know with JJ it is all about the money. GO GET'EM MAD MAX.

Duncan, Dirk and Pierce are all in their mid 30's, they've gotten their hefty pay days already...Wade and Bosh will only take less than the max IF LBJ joins...this is JJ's last big contract, it's so easy for us to say take less when it aint your money...I had to take a 10% paycut last year and I hated every minute of it, but it was either that or no job.

Additionally, people keep referring to JJ's age, he is only a year older (maybe just 6 months) than Wade and has had less of an injury history, JJ has never been one to rely on his athleticism to be effective. My hope is that with the new coaching staff and the additional experience of the core players and whatever else we can add to the team we will be a competive team.

Edited by jaybird

• Premium Member

The new salary cap is around $2 million more than we anticipated, so the luxury tax is actually around $3 million more than anticipated. How is this NOT good news?

Because this is John Hollinger. And unless the numbers are included in his laughable PER formula, they aren't important.

• Moderators

WHAT?!?!? Hollinger was wrong? Na, that can't be. Its not like anyone on this board called him out the second he tweeted about a $127 million contract...

Oh, snap.

And if Hollinger was at all intelligent, this IS good news for the Hawks. On the one hand you have Joe's contract increase (oh no!) but the benefits of a higher luxury tax outweigh the slight increase in salary for Joe. I don't have the exact numbers, but a quick calculation is that Joe's contract is starting around $620,462 more than originally anticipated. The new salary cap is around $2 million more than we anticipated, so the luxury tax is actually around $3 million more than anticipated. How is this NOT good news?

hawksfanatic >> Hollinger

You know, Joe is a very good player, but he is not the key to the Hawks winning games. If Joe had left, it wasn't going to cost the Hawks 20 games and thrust them into the lottery. Both Al Horford and Josh Smith contribute more to winning than Joe Johnson, and losing the 8 wins that Joe produced this past season would not make the Hawks a lottery bound team. Now, if you take away the 11 wins that Al Horford produced and the 9 wins that Josh Smith produced, then you are looking at a lottery team.

Unlike you we actually watch the games. We know what is going on. We see how the team plays when he goes to the bench. We saw what the team looked like when JJ was out hurt. It wasn't pretty.