• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Trading for Chris Paul is still alive!

JTB

Isn't the goal to see CP3 and Smoove out there on floor together?? Think of all the steals between those two.

I like the premise of having Paul here, I even like that fact that we can use the two expiring concerts to make it happen. Now if there was a 3 team trade that would send Ellis to N.O. with Paul coming here and us keeping Smith, Sign me up. I am sure all of this talk is just a pipe dream so I am too lazy to crunch numbers on that scenerio.

Isn't the goal to see CP3 and Smoove out there on floor together?? Think of all the steals between those two.

I like the premise of having Paul here, I even like that fact that we can use the two expiring concerts to make it happen. Now if there was a 3 team trade that would send Ellis to N.O. with Paul coming here and us keeping Smith, Sign me up. I am sure all of this talk is just a pipe dream so I am too lazy to crunch numbers on that scenerio.

Smith is a very good player and has star potential. Horford is a very good player and depending on his role and players around him could be elite. That's the biggest differences between the two. No it is not a pipe dream. There is a reason why Kevin Pritchard was fired.

Like many Hawks fans I seriously doubt Chris Paul will sign (or get traded) with the Hawks but I would love to see it happen! And, if by some chance the Hawks did get Paul I would also like to see them be able to keep Smith. Can you imagine the Ally Oop passes Smith would get from Paul!

Smith is a very good player and has star potential. Horford is a very good player and depending on his role and players around him could be elite. That's the biggest differences between the two. No it is not a pipe dream. There is a reason why Kevin Pritchard was fired.

Sorry, not connecting Kevin Pritchard having to do anything with us/this scenerio. Elaborate...

• Premium Member

There really weren't better offers. You have to remember that you have to make a good offer and still be a contender. Only two or three teams qualify. That's the Blazers, Magic, and Hawks.

You seem to be ignoring option #3: The Hornets decide that keeping Paul is better than any of the trade offers they get. If they're getting rid of Paul, it's because they are trying to rebuild. That means they are doing it to cut payroll. That means they won't take back a $43M contract (that's how much Josh's is worth after the trade kicker). They would rather keep CP3 than do that, guaranteed. The end.

Edited by niremetal

• Premium Member

There really weren't better offers. You have to remember that you have to make a good offer and still be a contender. Only two or three teams qualify. That's the Blazers, Magic, and Hawks.

Well, Jeff Bowers, what were the offers?

You seem to be ignoring option #3: The Hornets decide that keeping Paul is better than any of the trade offers they get. If they're getting rid of Paul, it's because they are trying to rebuild. That means they are doing it to cut payroll. That means they won't take back a $43M contract (that's how much Josh's is worth after the trade kicker). They would rather keep CP3 than do that, guaranteed. The end.

They could take Josh to keep him and build around since he is young and has an affordable contract or they could look to trade him for young players or picks. There is middle ground here between keeping what they have or completely blowing it up and that is acquiring young affordable talent while reducing long term payroll.

You also have to take into account that they have a young guy at PG who played extremely well as a rookie that could immediately take over for Paul and they'd have to consider Paul being a potential chemistry and/or injury risk.

I'm doubtful that Paul will be traded but if he is I am certain that it will be for far less than what so of you expect. My only hope is that if/when it happens that we're not the team wondering why we didn't beat that offer.

You don't just rebuild with no pieces or you end up like Charlotte and New York. No trade could save them money right now but Dampier and your not trading CP3 for that. As for keeping CP3, it's not happening, he will be traded sooner than later. You do not publicly announce trade turn-downs unless you are going to trade the player. CP3 has requested a trade and it's better to rebuild now with a nice piece under contract as well as young players who can change the landscape for you. The kicker only last for one season, we have stated that multiple times on this site. We will see.

Edited by nbasuperstar40

Shinn is trying to sell the team...I don't think the new owner wants to buy that investment without the star player, I certainly wouldn't....they may be trying to shed contracts (Okafor, Peja) to make the offer better but getting rid of their best assest would not be the way to entice someone to buy the franchise.

Shinn is trying to sell the team...I don't think the new owner wants to buy that investment without the star player, I certainly wouldn't....they may be trying to shed contracts (Okafor, Peja) to make the offer better but getting rid of their best assest would not be the way to entice someone to buy the franchise.

idk they have darren collinson and they cant have both playing pg cuz ones goinna complain about minutes so one is goin to be traded

Has he offically requested a trade? In all the articles it seems like he has only said what all the players in the position he is in is say get me some help. Unless I have totally misinturpreted those articles from media attention whores/rumor mill.

Rumor.

idk they have darren collinson and they cant have both playing pg cuz ones goinna complain about minutes so one is goin to be traded

Chris Paul is the New Orleans Hornets...Collison will be a 2nd year player, he can complain all he wants.

• Premium Member

Little tweety bird says the Nuggets' offer was Nene + Billups -for- Paul + Okafor.

Also, Hornets apparently are willing to work with Paul to send him somewhere he would like to go...you think Atlanta would be on that list? I'd actually think so...

Edited by mrhonline

Little tweety bird says the Nuggets' offer was Nene + Billups -for- Paul + Okafor.

Also, Hornets apparently are willing to work with Paul to send him somewhere he would like to go...you think Atlanta would be on that list? I'd actually think so...

And our offer was reportedly Smith/Jamal for Paul/Okafor. If the Hornets decide to trade Paul then Billups probably won't be on the team long since he's nearing the end of the line but Nene would be a nice piece to build around. Would they consider him to be a better piece to build around than Smith? That's hard to say but I'd have to think that Smith is the better fan draw and by trading with the Hawks you get the benefit of trading Paul out of conference.

• Premium Member

He WANTED to play here before the draft. I wonder if his opinion has changed since then? I know he was probably just angling for the #2 pick/money, but maybe there was a chance he actually 'liked' it here.

• Premium Member
And our offer was reportedly Smith/Jamal for Paul/Okafor.

I never saw that in print, though...

Supposedly, they wanted a young big on a cheap contract, which begs two questions - is Smith's contract "cheap" and is he a "big?"

Who knows...

I never saw that in print, though...

Supposedly, they wanted a young big on a cheap contract, which begs two questions - is Smith's contract "cheap" and is he a "big?"

Who knows...

cheap for his talent, yes. He plays one in 82 games plus the playoffs.

• Moderators

Crawford + Smith + pick is competitive with that and has the added advantage of sending Paul to the Eastern Conference. With Nene's history of health issues and limited production, Josh definitely is a better piece if you are looking for a piece to build around.

Nene's last 3 seasons:

5.3 ppg, 14.6 ppg, 13.8 ppg

5.4 rpg, 7.8 rpg, 7.6 rpg

0.9 bpg, 1.3 bpg, 1.0 bpg

Josh's last 3 seasons:

17.2 ppg, 15.6 ppg, 15.7 ppg

8.2 rpg, 7.2 rpg, 8.7 rpg

2.8 bpg, 1.6 bpg, 2.1 bpg

Crawford + Smith + pick is competitive with that and has the added advantage of sending Paul to the Eastern Conference. With Nene's history of health issues and limited production, Josh definitely is a better piece if you are looking for a piece to build around.

Nene's last 3 seasons:

5.3 ppg, 14.6 ppg, 13.8 ppg

5.4 rpg, 7.8 rpg, 7.6 rpg

0.9 bpg, 1.3 bpg, 1.0 bpg

Josh's last 3 seasons:

17.2 ppg, 15.6 ppg, 15.7 ppg

8.2 rpg, 7.2 rpg, 8.7 rpg

2.8 bpg, 1.6 bpg, 2.1 bpg

good points! I think we offer the best players!