mrhonline

• Premium Member

If it were me, I'd be tempted to:

1. Opt-in to that $7M deal.

2. Go to Oly and say, "I can be bought out for $4M."

3. Take the Hawks' QO.

(I think he can do that under the CBA).

Edited by mrhonline

Remember that he has to make a decision on his contract with Oly by the 15th...

Is it a player only option that he has? For some reason I thought the team had an option on it. If its true that he has to decide by the 15th then I expect we'll see something happen with regards to a S&T very soon since I think he's fully ready to be back in the NBA.

• Moderators

If it were me, I'd be tempted to:

1. Opt-in to that $7M deal.

2. Go to Oly and say, "I can be bought out for $4M."

3. Take the Hawks' QO.

(I think he can do that under the CBA).

Once he executes a contract with one party (Oly by opting-in or Atlanta by taking the QO) doesn't the other have to respect it? How does that differ from a team trying to poach midseason? (I am genuinely curious here and don't know.)

Edited by AHF

International contracts must be respected. He isn't allowed to sign with the Hawks as long as he is under contract to Oly.

WIth the ridiculous contracts being passed around I'd be shocked if he didn't come back to the NBA this season- he owuld cost himself a ton of money by waiting until next season to come back over. And he would be stupid to take the QO instead of signing a multi year contract.

• Like 1

International contracts must be respected. He isn't allowed to sign with the Hawks as long as he is under contract to Oly.

WIth the ridiculous contracts being passed around I'd be shocked if he didn't come back to the NBA this season- he owuld cost himself a ton of money by waiting until next season to come back over. And he would be stupid to take the QO instead of signing a multi year contract.

x2 It would seem like now is Josh Chilldress peak time if there is ever going to be one for him coming back. Sure he can go back to europe one more year but it doesnt seem like they want him and the well there will dry up after this season. He would be much better off signing a long term deal in the nba if one gets thrown his way.

Edited by NJHAWK

• Moderators

That was my understanding - that he couldn't sign with the Hawks until he had opted out of his deal with Oly.

• Premium Member

Remember that he has to make a decision on his contract with Oly by the 15th...

Beat me to it.

Chillz has 4 more days by my calculation. I think his agents are working overtime to get him something substantial before the 15th. My guess is that he will be forced to opt out. A slow Sund will not meet this 4 day deadline so Chillz is at the mercy of Sund and Sund is never in a hurry.

For other reasons, I just don't see Chillz going back to Greece. I understand honoring your contract but the writing is on the wall. New recession has hit Greece and they are begging players to opt out. LK just opted out and took a deal with Toronto. I think Chillz will have to opt out too,.

That was my understanding - that he couldn't sign with the Hawks until he had opted out of his deal with Oly.

It must be because you see all the time where if an nba team wants an international player who is under contract that contract has to be bought out ( either by the nba team or player himself ) 1st before said nba team can get him. In Chills case he can just opt out

• Premium Member

The other thing is that Chillz know that next off season, things will be different because of the CBA. Any FA this year or anybody who can opt out now, should so that they can take advantage of the current CBA because I believe that the next one will be far different.

1. I think they will cut players raises again.

2. I think teams will be able to franchise 1 player per offseason.

3. I think they will limit the amount of years that a player can sign for 5 years and 4 years instead of 6 years and 5 years.

I think the owners will get everything they want in the next CBA.