• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Suns to offer Chills

pound4pound

The suns can't use part of the TPE to make an offer to Childress so that would pretty much have to be a S&T or just a MLE offer. The TPE would allow the suns to not have to send back matching salary however so this would be the situation where the Hawks could get a draftpick in return with no other salary coming back. In the current marketplace Childress for the MLE is fine value and I still don't think that the Hawks would match. Childress would be able to veto any trades for a year if the Hawks matched the contract.

I think its important to notice just that the report said that the suns were set to offer childress a contract, not that childress was planning on signing an offersheet with the Suns.

Edited by spotatl

Are you referring to Oly? Because he cannot have two simultaneous contracts for professional basketball. European leagues and the NBA have agreements to honor each others contracts.

I am just wondering if he will refuse to play with us because I haven't seen anything about him returning to the Hawks this year.

Edited by GameTime

• Premium Member

I get the feeling that if Babby is about to be Phoenix's new GM, then this is a very shrewd help out prepare for the future move. I get the feeling that the Suns main interest is really Horford. They tease us with Chillz for two reason. A personal favor from Babby to his old client. Second, to get the Hawks to spend more money this season so that they can go after Horf strongly next season.

Sure, they like CHillz. Sure, he's a WC guy. Sure he's a good replacement for Old man Grant Hill. However, Horf would be a steal.

Answering this question. What we have on our books is a cap hold of 10.89 million for Chillz. If he signs with another team and we do not match, we no longer have that cap hold which gives us flexibility against the luxury tax but we would still be over the cap.

So is this case similar to Joe where if he leaves for another team, it hurts us more than getting something in return for him, even though with Chills he hasnt played for us in two years yet his contract was on our books?

• Premium Member

I get the feeling that if Babby is about to be Phoenix's new GM, then this is a very shrewd help out prepare for the future move. I get the feeling that the Suns main interest is really Horford. They tease us with Chillz for two reason. A personal favor from Babby to his old client. Second, to get the Hawks to spend more money this season so that they can go after Horf strongly next season.

Sure, they like CHillz. Sure, he's a WC guy. Sure he's a good replacement for Old man Grant Hill. However, Horf would be a steal.

That's a legitimate point and for that reason, if they offer Chill a substantial offer, let him walk.

This is like Joe all over again, but the Suns are more competent than the ASG. With Joe, the Suns claimed they would match an offer sheet (everyone knew they wouldn't) and the ASG believed them so a sign and trade was worked out. Now with Chill, the ASG will probably claim to match an offer sheet (everyone knows they won't) and the Suns won't believe them so they tender the offer sheet. That will have made the ASG look like fools not just once, but twice.

I guess I could look like a fool if the ASG match an offer sheet but I am willing to take on that low-risk proposition. Unless of course the offer that Chill signs is less than the MLE.

Based on the history that the ASG hasn't let any players go that they haven't wanted to I'd say the odds are significantly higher than you're giving the ASG credit for that they will either match the offer or work out a S&T to get an asset back.

It still baffles me that no matter what the ASG does some people refuse to give them the benefit of the doubt.

• Like 2

This is like Joe all over again, but the Suns are more competent than the ASG. With Joe, the Suns claimed they would match an offer sheet (everyone knew they wouldn't) and the ASG believed them so a sign and trade was worked out. Now with Chill, the ASG will probably claim to match an offer sheet (everyone knows they won't) and the Suns won't believe them so they tender the offer sheet. That will have made the ASG look like fools not just once, but twice.

I guess I could look like a fool if the ASG match an offer sheet but I am willing to take on that low-risk proposition. Unless of course the offer that Chill signs is less than the MLE.

I'm willing to bet you that they will either match it or get a S&T done..... c'mon, I need some money. LOL

How is it that teams like the Bulls and Heat can get rid of contracts like Heinrich and Beasley, Cook, etc but we are not able to get rid of Bibby or Marivn's? Or maybe its possible, but it takes some time and people on this board just make it sound impossible?

You really believe all of that?? Thinking that making Chillz an offer so that they could sign Horford next year and thinking we won't match it because of having matched Chillz is a major stretch, especially since they'd be doing that under the assumption that we wouldn't make a single move this year to help our cap next year or that we'd just let Horford go after we've spent all this time developing him into an All-Star. It's a MAJOR stretch at best to think that is their rationale.

• Premium Member

That's a legitimate point and for that reason, if they offer Chill a substantial offer, let him walk.

No I disagree with that too. I think that ASG has a whole season to find money for Al. New investor, good trade, something will help us to get a deal for Al. SO that shouldn't stop us from regathering talent. If the Suns overpay for Chillz, something between 8-10 Million per... then yes, we may have to let him go. However, I think we can work a deal with Chillz.

No I disagree with that too. I think that ASG has a whole season to find money for Al. New investor, good trade, something will help us to get a deal for Al. SO that shouldn't stop us from regathering talent. If the Suns overpay for Chillz, something between 8-10 Million per... then yes, we may have to let him go. However, I think we can work a deal with Chillz.

If they offer him 8-10 million then we let him walk, but we wait all 7 days before notifying the Suns that we won't match and thereby hold their cap space captive for that entire time and see if they pony up with a future pick to get it over with.

The suns can't use part of the TPE to make an offer to Childress so that would pretty much have to be a S&T or just a MLE offer. The TPE would allow the suns to not have to send back matching salary however so this would be the situation where the Hawks could get a draftpick in return with no other salary coming back. In the current marketplace Childress for the MLE is fine value and I still don't think that the Hawks would match. Childress would be able to veto any trades for a year if the Hawks matched the contract.

I think its important to notice just that the report said that the suns were set to offer childress a contract, not that childress was planning on signing an offersheet with the Suns.

What he said. You can't split up the tpe

Based on the history that the ASG hasn't let any players go that they haven't wanted to I'd say the odds are significantly higher than you're giving the ASG credit for that they will either match the offer or work out a S&T to get an asset back.

It still baffles me that no matter what the ASG does some people refuse to give them the benefit of the doubt.

I think all of us have bashed asg for being cheap at times. I am with you on this one though, they have had this Chills saga go on for some time now, if Phoenix wants try and muscle him away I doubt ASG lets an asset walk away without compensation. I think they would match the offer and then trade him away later or trade Marv. If Phoenix is indeed ready to make Chills an offer he likes and is ready to sign I think the Hawks will wind up sending him in a s & t ( WITH ALL PARTIES IN AGREEMENT) before Chills signs the deal. Pho will use that te to take Chills deal on and send the Hawks back a 1st round draft pick. It may have to include more because I dont know how much that te is

Edited by NJHAWK

Once a team signs childress to an offersheet they aren't allowed to go back and do a S&T anymore.

For some reason I was thinking that you could trade him to the team that made the offer as long as Childress hasn't signed it.But if that were the case then we wouldn't yet be under the 7 days to decide restriction.

How is it that teams like the Bulls and Heat can get rid of contracts like Heinrich and Beasley, Cook, etc but we are not able to get rid of Bibby or Marivn's? Or maybe its possible, but it takes some time and people on this board just make it sound impossible?

Sund got us Craw for two guards that were pretty much worthless.

• Like 1

For some reason I was thinking that you could trade him to the team that made the offer as long as Childress hasn't signed it.But if that were the case then we wouldn't yet be under the 7 days to decide restriction.

Your correct here. Just because Chills gets the offer doesnt mean anything. However once he signs it and the Hawks get the copy they have 7 days to match and cant trade. Most likely Chills will get the offer and then he and Phoenix will try to work out a s & t with atl before its signed. The same way JJ never signed his offer sheet from the Hawks.

Edited by NJHAWK