• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Merged: Cavs trying to use Shaq to lure Williams

johnnyde

http://www.nba.com/news/features/aldridge.2010.freeagency/

The Cleveland Cavaliers' pursuit of Hawks swingman Marvin Williams centers at the moment on trying to convince the Hawks to do a sign-and-trade deal that would send Shaquille O'Neal to Atlanta, according to a league source.

The Hawks do have an interest in the 38-year-old O'Neal, who is not likely to return to Cleveland next season. But Atlanta has budget limitations after agreeing to give guard Joe Johnson a $124 million max contract, with ownership unlikely to approve a deal for O'Neal or any other backup center that goes much above the veteran minimum. The Hawks are also interested in free agent center Brad Miller and Bucks free agent center Kurt Thomas.

Cleveland got a $14.5 million trade exception by agreeing to a sign-and-trade deal for LeBron James to Miami, in addition to two future draft picks from the Heat. The Cavs could use part of the exception to absorb Williams's $6.7 million salary for next season.

Atlanta also got a trade exception, worth about $2.9 million, when it agreed to a sign-and-trade deal that will send free agent forward Josh Childress to the Phoenix Suns for a future draft pick, and can use that exception to acquire a player making that much money. O'Neal made $20 million last year in the final year of his contract but knows he will have to take a major pay cut next season. He has expressed an interest in playing for the Spurs, though it is not known if San Antonio's interest, if any, is reciprocal.

The Cavaliers' interest in the 24-year-old Williams, first reported by the Cleveland Plain Dealer, would make sense. The Cavs' new general manager, Chris Grant, was working as the Hawks' assistant GM when Atlanta took Williams with the second pick overall in the 2005 Draft, opting to take him over point guards Deron Williams (who went third to Utah) and Chris Paul (fourth to New Orleans). Williams started 81 games for the Hawks last season, averaging 10 points per game.

It would also be in line with new coach Byron Scott's desire to have a more up-tempo attack next season with James departed to Miami. Scott has already indicated that J.J. Hickson will be the full-time starter at power forward next season, and said during Tuesday's NBA TV Las Vegas Summer League game between the Cavaliers and the D-League Select Team that he is contemplating bringing veteran forward Antawn Jamison off the bench.

"That's always been my M.O.," Scott said afterward. "I always want to go up and down the floor. For so many years, that's been such an effective way of playing basketball. But not forgetting that you still have to defend people and you've still got to rebound the ball if you want to be successful. That's been my goal from day one as a coach. And I had a lot of success in Jersey doing just that, and a lot of success in New Orleans doing that. So I figure if it ain't broke, don't try to fix it."

Cleveland's commitment to a faster squad was also clear in its four-year offer sheet late Tuesday night to Rockets' restricted free agent guard Kyle Lowry, who had next to no luck getting an offer from Houston during the first week of free agency. The Rockets have indicated that they'll match any offer for either Lowry or forward Luis Scola, also a restricted free agent. The Rockets lost out in their pursuit of Chris Bosh, who they wanted to pair next to Yao Ming next season. Yao is back on the practice court and is expected to be ready for training camp after missing all of last season following foot surgery.

IMO, regardless of how we all feel about Marvin, this would be a bad move. Lose our only true small forward(unless they sign one in FA) for a guy who has a lot of concerns about how he would fit in.

Plus, is Shaq really gonna make that much more money if Marvin's 6.7 million is the right figure? So they are (supposedly according to some) offering 5.8 and he won't take that because he wants maybe a million more? Seems like he is being really picky for someone who has made over 200 million in his NBA career.

Edited by johnnyde

If this is true that the ASG doesn't want to spend any more than the veteran minimum.to sign a center, then what are they going to do with

money they got for selling the pick?

Edited by pimp

They are going to give the money they got for the pick and give it to Joe Johnson.

Realistically it woudl take a sweetheart deal for the hawks to spend the MLE because it would put them into the luxury tax. And I just can't see the ASG being willing to pay the luxury tax for the third best team in the division.

IMO, regardless of how we all feel about Marvin, this would be a bad move. Lose our only true small forward(unless they sign one in FA) for a guy who has a lot of concerns about how he would fit in.

Plus, is Shaq really gonna make that much more money if Marvin's 6.7 million is the right figure? So they are offering 5.8 and he won't take that because he wants maybe a million more? Seems like he is being really picky for someone who has made over 200 million in his NBA career.

NO NO NO NO NO

Do not do this move.

If this is true that the ASG doesn't want to spend any more than the veteran minimum.to sign a center, then what are they going to do with

money they got for selling the pick?

I'd have to guess that is purely the writers opinion there but if we could get both Miller and/or Thomas for the vet minimum or slightly over I'd be thrilled with it.

There's no way that Cleveland is getting Marvin though, unless we've got another deal on the table to bring in a SF and I doubt that's the case.

I like it, as long as Shaq's deal is only 1 year.

Gets Marvin off the books for the next few years when we need to spend it all on Horford. Marvin can be replaced with pretty much anything off the scrap heap, honestly.

• Like 1

Thats why we should be all over Houston they need a center give them Zaza and try and get back Scola or Battier or throw in some picks and try and get both .

The rockets have

Chuck hayes

Scola

Battier

Ariza

traded for Jordan Hill who was a lottery pick last year

drafted Patrick patterson at #14 this year

still have david Anderson

still have jared jefferies

We should offer the rockets a deal if they do not match a Mle offer for Scola

Zaza/Mo Evans #1 pick next year and future protected for Battier

Zaza fills there need at center behind Yao and they dont take on any salary besides his and Mo is a expiring just like Battier the picks are probably more than what they will get if they hold onto either Scola or Battier after this year and with all the youth they have at teh forwards it wouldnt make sense .

Al/Shaq

Smoove/Scola

Battier/JJ

JJ/Crawford

Teague/Bibby

Now if you really want to push it you call up NO on August 9th and say hey Jordan Crawford for Darren Collinson

you then turn around and offer Bibby and Teague to the Pacers for Jeff Foster and a future first .....teague is from Indianapolis and they need a pg

Moves are out there to be made and once we resigned Joe we committed to do whatever was needed to go further .

Edited by Crank

Why would NO trade Collison for Jordan Crawford, many teams are drooling for him and the only way they give him up is if someone takes Okafor contract.

because they need wing scoring more than they need Collinson to backup Paul . Collinson has already voiced concerns over his playing time now that paul is healthy.

But why do people think the Hornets want to DUMP Okafor when hes is basically a 27 year old defensive double double guy ? Do you really think Aaron Gray is the answer to center over Okafor ?

basically a double double guy with almost 2 blocks game and over 50% hooting and a defender and they want to dump him when they have no other centers besides Gray who they just signed on the roster ?

Okafor

West

Peja

Thornton

Paul

the bench is filled with the likes of Posey and Wright and they would love to get someone like Crawford who has true scoring potential on the perimeter . They would basically take him and then sign one of the veterans who is ok with backing up Paul in Collinsons place like Ridnour or watson .

I like it, as long as Shaq's deal is only 1 year.

Gets Marvin off the books for the next few years when we need to spend it all on Horford. Marvin can be replaced with pretty much anything off the scrap heap, honestly.

I'd be happy with Shaq on a 1 or 2 year deal if we could get Damien Wilkens in here for the LLE to take Marvin's spot.

I also have no problem with playing hard ball and giving Shaq a 2 year MLE offer while basically saying "take it or leave it."

Edited by coachx

This SUCKS! Just let Marvin go, DAMN!

WHY?

1. We picked him over CP3 and Deron & we are paying dearly for that and will until (hopefully) Teague turns our PG flaws into a thing of the past.

2. Then we force Marvin to start in a lineup where he does NOT fit or find his game...

3. We also are paying between 6-8 MIL based on what he did in his contract year??? LOL!!! Every player goes hard in their contract year!!! Marvin's a real cool, laid back guys, who I met in person twice and I know he has a great relationship with teammates and he can ball...But a frontcourt of a healthy Shaq / Al / Smoove could put us into the Finals and give a shot to get rings...

4. Smoove needs to be our Gerald Wallace/Prince SF to guard Lebrons and Melos while Joe defends the Kobes and Wades....That allows Horford to be his natural PF next to a big Shaq inside....But moving Marvin to the bench would having us with about $17MIL (Marvin and Crawford) on our bench...Ugh!

5. Last but not least, we'd get SHAQ!!! Not dominating Shaq of the 90s and early 00s...But huge strong as #ell, drawing fans to Phillips, good footwork, league-wide respected, still commanding double teams from weak teams, and bang with any other big in the league SHAQ!!!! I'd let Marving go to CLE for more cap space. But to get Shaq and save some or all of our Mid-Level sounds great to me.

• Like 1