• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

No Shaq and no more Hawks’ big spending? No shock there

pimp

http://blogs.ajc.com/mark-bradley-blog/2010/07/16/no-shaq-and-no-more-hawks-big-spending-no-shock-there/?cxntfid=blogs_mark_bradley_blog

For a moment, it appeared the pleas of most Hawks’ fans would be met in one swell foop — the team would add Shaquille O’Neal while shedding the unloved Marvin Williams. But esteemed colleague Michael Cunningham has since written that the Shaq-for-Marvin sign-and-trade “appears to be a non-starter,” and this morning Chris Tomasson of FanHouse reports the Hawks “are ruling out the possibility of signing [shaq].”

At issue here isn’t whether Shaq would have fit the Hawks — my belief was that he wouldn’t have — but the reasons Tomasson identifies for the team’s non-interest. From his report: “A source close to the situation said Thursday that Atlanta’s ownership doesn’t want to exceed the luxury-tax threshold of $70.307 million.”

And this is where is gets maddening to follow the Hawks. The Atlanta Spirit insists it will spend whatever it takes to assemble a first-class team, and then we discover there’s a ceiling on “whatever it takes.” The Hawks said money wouldn’t be a deterrent to signing the best coach available to replace Mike Woodson, but lo and behold they wound up with Larry Drew, who figures to be the lowest-paid coach in the NBA in 2010-2011.

The Hawks just worked a sign-and-trade with Phoenix for Josh Childress, considered a prime bargaining chip, and they reaped this windfall: A second-round draft pick next summer and a monetary credit to be used on some future trade. (You’ve heard of the player to be named later? This is money to be spent later.)

It’s hard to criticize the Hawks for not spending in a month where they’ve made Joe Johnson the NBA’s highest-paid player, but with Johnson they had no choice. Credibility, both in the local marketplace and across all of professional basketball, was the overriding concern. But the Hawks entered the summer saying they wouldn’t stop with keeping Joe — they would aggressively pursue other big-name free agents.

Mr. Cunningham heard the same sentiments, but now he writes: “After [post-Johnson] indications that the Hawks were willing to push their payroll above the luxury-tax threshold of $70.3 million, it’s becoming increasingly clear ASG wants to avoid paying the tax.”

This, alas, is the way of the Spirit. These owners talk a decent game, and sometimes you start to believe them. But there’s no follow-through, and again you stop believing.

• Like 1

Drew wants to get Hawks' offense moving

LAS VEGAS -- Any discussion of Hawks coach Larry Drew's offense in the summer league comes with a few caveats.

With a couple of exceptions, these aren't the players who will play regular minutes for the Hawks next season. The style of play in these games tends to be sloppy because there's little team cohesion. And Drew said he hasn't installed every wrinkle of his system.

One shouldn't put too much stock into the Hawks' disjointed offense in its 89-84 loss to San Antonio on Wednesday night. The Spurs flustered the Hawks on offense, but the Hawks are far from a full roster or a finished product.

“The offense that Coach Drew is putting in is excellent against pressure,” said assistant coach Lester Conner, who is leading the team from the bench. “But maybe it's too sophisticated for this group. They are shying away from it.”

Despite the summer team's issues with Drew's offense, it's already clear that the Hawks' new coach is determined to move the team away from an isolation-heavy attack by getting everything moving.

When the offense looks right, the ball moves from side-to-side, bodies move without the ball, and the pace is quickened. There isn't much one-on-one play, but lots of passes off cuts, screens, quick post-ups and ball reversals.

“It’s kind of like a Princeton motion offense,” said Hawks guard Jeff Teague, who ran the offense in practice last season. “Everybody is going to get shots, everybody is going to get touches. You can do everything out of it. You can get down-screens, pick-and-rolls.

“It is kind of a unique offense. It is perfect for our team. We’ve got a lot of guys who can handle the ball on our team, and it gives them a chance to show what they can do.”

Elements of the offense are similar to what New Jersey ran with Jason Kidd, and one key to its effectiveness is wings and big men who can handle the ball. The summer team doesn't really have players like that, but Hawks starters Marvin Williams, Al Horford and Josh Smith can fill that role.

The real challenge may be integrating Joe Johnson into Drew's system. His deliberate, one-on-one style was effective when he made shots last season, but often bogged down the offense as his teammates stood and watched him work.

Each time Drew is asked about prodding Johnson or other players to stay away from isolation plays, he says the offense “forces the ball to move.”

“It's not anything that's really complicated,” Drew said. “It's the way it's designed. It's the principles of it. It's the speed of it.”

The offensive flow hasn't been on display much in the Hawks' two summer-league losses. Teague had nine of the team's 23 turnovers against the Spurs, who scored 34 points off the miscues.

"I think we are thinking too much out there," Teague said. "We've had a lot put on us in a short period of time."

Eventually the Hawks will have their full squad on the floor, Drew will have time to drill his players and the true look of the offense will become evident.

“As much as you can move from one side to the other, the defense breaks down,” Hawks center Randolph Morris said. “Teams last year were able to defend us because we stood on one side too much when we did do some ‘iso.' As long as we move the ball, I think it's cool.”

Childress trade complete

On Wednesday, the NBA approved the Hawks' sign-and-trade agreement with Phoenix for forward Josh Childress. The deal was struck earlier in the week, but required the approval of FIBA since Childress played the past two seasons in Greece.

In exchange for Childress, Phoenix sent the Hawks a future second-round pick, and the Hawks netted a $3.6 million trade exception. The Hawks can use the exception within a year as a credit to make trades that don't meet the usual salary-matching requirements for teams over the salary cap.

The Hawks selected Childress, 27, with the No. 6 overall pick in the 2004 draft. He played four seasons in Atlanta before signing with Olympiakos. He opted out of the final year of that three-year contract to return to the NBA.

Edited by pimp

http://blogs.ajc.com/mark-bradley-blog/2010/07/16/no-shaq-and-no-more-hawks-big-spending-no-shock-there/?cxntfid=blogs_mark_bradley_blog

It’s hard to criticize the Hawks for not spending in a month where they’ve made Joe Johnson the NBA’s highest-paid player, but with Johnson they had no choice. Credibility, both in the local marketplace and across all of professional basketball, was the overriding concern. But the Hawks entered the summer saying they wouldn’t stop with keeping Joe — they would aggressively pursue other big-name free agents.

Mr. Cunningham heard the same sentiments, but now he writes: “After [post-Johnson] indications that the Hawks were willing to push their payroll above the luxury-tax threshold of $70.3 million, it’s becoming increasingly clear ASG wants to avoid paying the tax.”

This, alas, is the way of the Spirit. These owners talk a decent game, and sometimes you start to believe them. But there’s no follow-through, and again you stop believing.

Mark pretty much sums up the feeling of all Hawks fans here.

Edited by coachx

• Admin

http://blogs.ajc.com...rk_bradley_blog

For a moment, it appeared the pleas of most Hawks' fans would be met in one swell foop — the team would add Shaquille O'Neal while shedding the unloved Marvin Williams. But esteemed colleague Michael Cunningham has since written that the Shaq-for-Marvin sign-and-trade "appears to be a non-starter," and this morning Chris Tomasson of FanHouse reports the Hawks "are ruling out the possibility of signing [shaq]."

At issue here isn't whether Shaq would have fit the Hawks — my belief was that he wouldn't have — but the reasons Tomasson identifies for the team's non-interest. From his report: "A source close to the situation said Thursday that Atlanta's ownership doesn't want to exceed the luxury-tax threshold of $70.307 million."

And this is where is gets maddening to follow the Hawks. The Atlanta Spirit insists it will spend whatever it takes to assemble a first-class team, and then we discover there's a ceiling on "whatever it takes." The Hawks said money wouldn't be a deterrent to signing the best coach available to replace Mike Woodson, but lo and behold they wound up with Larry Drew, who figures to be the lowest-paid coach in the NBA in 2010-2011.

The Hawks just worked a sign-and-trade with Phoenix for Josh Childress, considered a prime bargaining chip, and they reaped this windfall: A second-round draft pick next summer and a monetary credit to be used on some future trade. (You've heard of the player to be named later? This is money to be spent later.)

It's hard to criticize the Hawks for not spending in a month where they've made Joe Johnson the NBA's highest-paid player, but with Johnson they had no choice. Credibility, both in the local marketplace and across all of professional basketball, was the overriding concern. But the Hawks entered the summer saying they wouldn't stop with keeping Joe — they would aggressively pursue other big-name free agents.

Mr. Cunningham heard the same sentiments, but now he writes: "After [post-Johnson] indications that the Hawks were willing to push their payroll above the luxury-tax threshold of $70.3 million, it's becoming increasingly clear ASG wants to avoid paying the tax."

This, alas, is the way of the Spirit. These owners talk a decent game, and sometimes you start to believe them. But there's no follow-through, and again you stop believing.

It just comes off as a big waste of time to resign Joe. We signed him to a big contract and now we are not willing to do what it takes to make the team more compeititive.

Very dissappointing...I didn't want to trade Marvin but we should be trying to sign Shaq outright or some other quality backups.

We gave Childress away and now we are going to get leftovers to fill out the roster. We have not made any moves to improve our team with the exception of changing coaches (who by the way is unproven and hte lowest paid in the league).

I wish we can get a rich owner who wants to see the team succeed and willing to pay to do it.

• Premium Member

I actually hate the ASG more than the abysmal Rankin Smith family that owned the Falcons forever. At least the Smith family never talked out of both sides of their mouth, you knew they would never spend any real money on the Falcons and they didn't. The ASG though flaps its gums frequently about how its willing to spend money and then when it comes time to actually do it they show their true colors. :thumbsdownsmileyanim:

• Like 1

• Admin

Yep, then we would have resigned Chillz and traded Marvin for Shaq.

I think trading Marvin for Shaq would have been a big mistake. I am glad we did not do that.

However, we should have been after Shaq to sign him outright....

• Premium Member

Mark pretty much sums up the feeling of all Hawks fans here.

The problem is that if it is a trade... a trade... then the salary doesn't change. Therefore, we can't go over the cap if it is a trade. If we were planning to keep Marvin and add Shaq, that's the only way that that circumstance would prevail... however, if Cleveland is game for a trade, Sund really needs to think that thing through. I think we have a whole lot of Lazy Journalist who are not focusing in on the one thing... A SNT will not put us closer to the Luxury tax than we already are.

Sund, I will make it really easy for you: Marvin for Shaq and 2 2nd round picks.

• Premium Member

I'm not even slightly interested in this season at this point. This season will be dominated by two teams... Miami and LA while the Hawks do the same old same old.

BORING.

C'mon we at least can look forward to national media and TNT analysts making fun of Joe Johnson's contract.

:kickcan:

• Premium Member

It's like the son that has the hear all the critism of his mothers several affairs. They make the bad choices and you have to hear about it.

Nice analogy and it is in fact how it feels when you are a fan of a team and the team keeps shooting itself in the foot.

The problem is that if it is a trade... a trade... then the salary doesn't change. Therefore, we can't go over the cap if it is a trade. If we were planning to keep Marvin and add Shaq, that's the only way that that circumstance would prevail... however, if Cleveland is game for a trade, Sund really needs to think that thing through. I think we have a whole lot of Lazy Journalist who are not focusing in on the one thing... A SNT will not put us closer to the Luxury tax than we already are.

Sund, I will make it really easy for you: Marvin for Shaq and 2 2nd round picks.

I'd do the trade in a second too Diesel.

• Premium Member

Agreed. Re-signing Joe to that type of contract makes very little sense if you're not going to be all in on building a title contender. Despite the rhetoric about liking the "core" (I hate that word), I think they fully realize that this team is not a title contender and don't intend on making it one. That's a loser's mentality and they shouldn't be suprised or complain when the majority of Atlanta fans don't come out to support a half-baked plan. Hawks fans are not stupid.

Edited by Jody23

• Premium Member

Agreed. Re-signing Joe to that type of contract makes very little sense if you're not going to be all in on building a title contender. Despite the rhetoric about liking the "core" (I hate that word), I think they fully realize that this team is not a title contender and don't intend on making it one. That's a loser's mentality and they shouldn't be suprised or complain when the majority of Atlanta fans don't come out to support a half-baked plan. Hawks fans are not stupid.

makes sense if your plan is status quo

That's what I've been saying, which is why I supported them trying to resign JJ in the first place. I thought the whole idea of bringing him back was under the guise of giving him the help he needs during the season so he won't be soooooo worn out in April and May. I'm pretty sure that JJ wasn't planning on James Augustine, Jordan Crawford, and more minutes from Jeff Teague being the only 'help' he was going to get.

And again, if anyone wants to debate why folks here don't show up unless (insert superstar here) arrives in town, here is Exhibit A. If they are content with bringing in a couple of scrups from the NBDL to fill out the roster and return with the same guys, I don't want to hear anything from Gearon and Co. about the empties at Philips when Team Voltron or Kobe isn't here. Atlanta sports fans are many things but stupid isn't one of them.

While just about everyone in the East is improving themselves, the Hawks are chasing their hindparts in circles...

Edited by Dejay

• Premium Member

We have spent so much money already on this team, and its the exact same as last year. The ASG needs to invest that extra money and push this team over the top, or they should have just destroyed the team. Right now paying more for the same product is the WORST decision they could have made. But it is the ASG, so expect the worst.

plus one. I agree completely. They should either buck up and spend the money to make this team a contender OR just let Joe walk or S&T him elsewhere and blow up the roster.