• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Woody's fault not BK's fault?

Diesel

Is Sund better than BK  

36 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Premium Member

In the time since BK left, not much have changed? Winning happened, but that was going to happen any way. We have had 2 offseasons and we still didn't strongly address C and PG. In my opinion, Sund did what Sund has always done... he babysat this team. This is still the team that BK built. No changes have been made except Woody was fired. Well, BK sought to fire Woody before he left. So in the time where we have seen Isiah return to the Knicks...

Is it possible that letting BK leave was not the best move at the time?

Would you take BK back?

IF you could guess his next move, what would BK do??

BK is a very very smart guy. On close examination most GM's if not every have made some big mistakes. All of them have dropped the ball.

In the two years separated from the Hawks I believe BK has grown wiser, has had an opportunity to evaluate BK and the Hawks.

I believe if BK returned and had the full resources and decision power he would be outstanding. These owners handcuffed this team since the "Summer of Joe". I wonder how many of BK's decision were Gearon decisions. I believe some were MG over BK. We may never know because BK is the kind of guy not to tell. , Sure you say "he went to ownership to fire Woody". Well yes he did. He Had to go to ownership first, it's protocal. It would not have been serving to tell Woody first.

I believe he would do well.

Edited by Swatguy

• Moderators

If BK had stayed Woody would have been gone earlier, we'd still have Chill (probably be our starting SF) and he would have traded for another PG. Its unlikely to me that BK would have re-signed Bibby. We'd still be without a 7' foot center because he didn't necesarily believe in that. But there isn't evidence that he didn't see the need for a PG. Once the Joe at point experiment went bad he acquired AJ, Speedy, Bibby. So he saw the need.

Bk tried to get us calderon cheaply before he broke out but was vetoed by owners

Who knows what else was vetoed by owners...

Shel was likely owners as bk wasn't the type to say we were taking shel before the draft

I think owners decided that and bk said it in advance bc it wasn't what he wanted

Edited by Nicholasp27

• Moderators

Curious, would BK be more of a commodity in the GM-level job market if he didn't have such a piss-poor relationship with the media?

I admit I'll always miss the BK attytood during his rare interviews. "I'll have thoughts to share about (doing X), only if and when I decide to (do X)... and even if I did, do you think I would tell you?" I get the feel that, on top of his draft decisions, the anti-PR generated by his icy relationships with the print and radio media has made it harder for him to find similar work elsewhere.

I do think he was very good as a hatchet man (when was the last time anyone thought of Big Dog around here?) who could clean house without turning the ownership-hampered franchise into Clippers East. While we didn't do enough with the cap space and draft picks we had in front of us, he should be appreciated for setting the table for the increased successes we enjoyed up to 2008-09. At the very least, he should always be able to find work as a consultant for stuck-in-the-mud sub-.500 teams.

~lw3

I would blame BK more than Woody, though I wouldn't take either back. My memory is a bit fuzzy - but did't BK hire Woody? Anyway, Woody built a winner out of the players that BK and Sund gave him. His fault was lousy playoff showings.

Also, BK's entire strategy on draft picks was lame - pick a guy 6-9, no matter what your need was. If Sund had the lottery picks BK had, then I think he'd have done a lot better.

Edited by Randy
  • Like 1

• Premium Member

Both are under-appreciated by fans and media. They turned a 13 win team into a 53-win playoff team. Sure they made some mistakes but the good they did far outweigh the bad.

Edited by NineOhTheRino

I liked BK and didn't want to see him go. Shelden was the only glaring con and I agree that the owners probably wanted the Duke guy (that also seemed to fill a need).

Woody on the other hand was a terrible coach. He presented very few of the necessary assets for an NBA coach. I think his only real pro was that he could keep the ship from rocking, but he even failed at that; miserably, in the end.

Sund has one good move (JC) and a bunch of missed opportunities and failures (Chil).

The Bibby contract was bad, MW OK and Zaza OK except that he is not the back up C for the Smoove, Horf tandem.

• Premium Member

Both are under-appreciated by fans and media. They turned a 13 win team into a 53-win playoff team. Sure they made some mistakes but the good they did far outweigh the bad.

When you get 5 top 11 picks in the draft, you're supposed to have some wins...

especially when you have a guy like Joe Johnson.

I don't praise either guy for the turnaround because we're supposed to have turned around. In no 5 year stretch, the Clippers ever had better draft picks (in better drafts) as we had.

Still the key to our puzzle was Joe. I think BK deserves credit for fighting for Joe.