• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The Josh Smith Trade Rumors Thread

Guest Squawker

• Premium Member

Why would we get rid of Josh to keep Crawford???

That doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. If our ownership won't pay the luxury tax then how does any trade of Smoove NOT involving an expiring contract help our financial situation??? More likely scenario I would guess is we just let Crawford walk at the end of next season and hope Crawford #2 is up to the task of filling his shoes.

Edited by Atlantaholic

• Premium Member

Kevin Love

Great rebounder.

Good Scorer.

Horrible defender. :temperature:

Well... I don't know. If you consider rebounds, that is defense. One of our main problems on defense is allowing 2nd chance scoring opportunities. If we had a guy like Love snatching boards, they would be a form of defense. On the other side, we'd have a true post scorer. While i would miss Smoove's defense in the transition and of course his game changing blocks, I think I could tolerate this trade because it gives us a threat inside.

I would be especially on Board if Sund could find a way to add Marvin in the trade so that we could resign Craw.

Maybe Smoove/Marvin for Love/Telfair/ and Brewer.

Ford is just Speculating, I highly highly doubt smoove would be traded

Why would Minny want Smoove when they have Beasley?

• Premium Member

Jamal Crawford is a great scorer and he definitely helps us get into the top4 eastern seeds. But by next year, we'd only lose a few more games if all else stayed the same and we replaced Jamal with a much cheaper option such as Jordan Crawford if he pans out. Really Flip carried us to nearly as many wins as Jamal did/will. We can't afford so much money tied up into our shooting guards. We have to let Jamal go and use his money and then Bibby's later to keep together our core and sign more needed players.

Actually, we were a much weaker team with Flip. The league is much better since we had Flip. Jamal gives us a true almost allstar quality player. A lot of times, he bails this team out. I think if we trade Jamal, we will definitely regret it (unless we can fix something else in that trade). I think Hawks fans fail to realize that we are a flawed team. We have dead wood at the Sf position. We have two Forwards playing the 4 and 5. Between Joe, Jamal, and Horf, they do a lot to cover our problems.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Well... I don't know. If you consider rebounds, that is defense. One of our main problems on defense is allowing 2nd chance scoring opportunities. If we had a guy like Love snatching boards, they would be a form of defense. On the other side, we'd have a true post scorer. While i would miss Smoove's defense in the transition and of course his game changing blocks, I think I could tolerate this trade because it gives us a threat inside.

I would be especially on Board if Sund could find a way to add Marvin in the trade so that we could resign Craw.

Maybe Smoove/Marvin for Love/Telfair/ and Brewer.

Why would Minny want Smoove when they have Beasley?

Nothing David Kahn does should be a surprise.

• Moderators

Does Chad Ford just have the "there's no way the Hawks can spend that kind of money" story on his computer clipboard, so he can just hit CTRL-V every time he is asked to write about the Hawks? He said "no way the Hawks resign Joe Johnson and spend money" all summer, now he says "there's no way Hawks keep their talented core and spend money".

At this rate, when the Hawks win the title in the next year or two, Chad Ford will be writing, "There's no way the Hawks can afford the insurance payment on the trophy, they will have to vacate their title ASAP to the Knicks/Nets/Heat/Lakers."

This has to be the best SECOND post by a squawker ever. I've got to go look up your first post.

• Moderators

It seems quite obvious that Jamal is going at the deadline. The only thing that makes me think this won't happen is that JC2 hasn't gotten any playing time yet. I'll admit that Jamal may be as big a reason as anyone that we are 3-0 but Smoove is really the difference maker on this team.

- last year Josh average 16 points a game. Think about that for a guy with no outside shot at all.

- Josh has improved his game significantly every single season.

- There is no stat for the defensive contribution that his shot blocking brings. Sure he blocks a lot but how often to you see opposing guards decide not to go in the lane or through up a big rainbow floater because they know he's there.

Notice that Jamal hasn't said much of anything about his extension lately. I think they've told him that they are going to trade him or let him walk at the end of the season.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Even though I don't believe one word of what has been suggested, I want to play advocate today... Since it's Election day.

What if LD has made a strong case for Moving Smoove?

What if LD says that he's not a strong contributor to the offense? He makes bad shots. He doesn't listen. He plays the way he wants to play and is the reason our offense doesn't run as smoovely as it can. (yes that was a play on words). What if LD says to Sund, I know that Smoove has enough value to get us a good Center and remove Marvin?

Now.. what if the following trades were available:

Smoove, Marvin for Love and Flynn?

Smoove, Marvin, and Mo for Troy Murphy, Devin Harris, and a first.

Smoove, Marvin, and Mo for Caron Butler and Tyson Chandler?

I think it would be disastrous to trade Smoove. Of all the Team who were eligible for FA, Smoove was the one I was most worried about losing. I honestly did not care if we Resigned JJ last Summer. Especially considering the cost and length of the Contract given his age.

I am so glad we locked in Al, but not at the cost of losing Smoove. Then again, the National Media has been wrong about just about every move the Hawks have ended up making. Be it not even being in the conversation to Resign JJ and many other moves, the Media has been wrong.

Josh is a Game Changer and while he does occasionally make poor decisions, the Juice is worth the squeeze. Now bundling Crawford and Marvin for salary relief I can live with. Especially after after how good Jordan Crawford has looked.

Cheers,

JJ

• Like 1

• Premium Member

IF we did trade Smoove, Marvin for Love, Brewer, and Flynn. I don't think it will be all bad.

Resign Jamal for something like 4 year 38.5.

Kevin Love, Al Horf, Brewer, Joe, and Flynn. I know it's a learning curve, but I think Flynn would do well in our system.

Love could play Center for one reason. Those killer outlet passes. I envision Outlets to Flynn then Joe up the court to Brewer for a monster dunk. Then I realize, it's Smoove that should be getting those monster dunks.

Honestly though, I have not be impressed with Smoove in the new offense. He seems missing or doing his own thing. Everybody else seems to be in the flow of the offense. I would hate to see Smoove go as his athleticism goes.

• Like 1

IF we did trade Smoove, Marvin for Love, Brewer, and Flynn. I don't think it will be all bad.

Resign Jamal for something like 4 year 38.5.

Kevin Love, Al Horf, Brewer, Joe, and Flynn. I know it's a learning curve, but I think Flynn would do well in our system.

Love could play Center for one reason. Those killer outlet passes. I envision Outlets to Flynn then Joe up the court to Brewer for a monster dunk. Then I realize, it's Smoove that should be getting those monster dunks.

Honestly though, I have not be impressed with Smoove in the new offense. He seems missing or doing his own thing. Everybody else seems to be in the flow of the offense. I would hate to see Smoove go as his athleticism goes.

If Sund can make that happen...damn. What about the Spanish kid they drafted a couple of year's ago?

Frankly, I'm about the Hawks getting better. PF is very strong position on the team. We are increadibly weak at PG and SF. We are weak at C. Any move from our stregthen that can build up an area of weakness should benefit the team in the short and long run.

I just don't understand this BS! :thumbsdownsmileyanim:

Proven A-hole writtes something... and even though initially our posters criticize the idea of trading Smoove... all of sudden everybody starts commin' up with their own ideas where to trade him... without seriously contemplating what would it mean for our team... It seems Smoove is already gone, he just doesn't know it yet! We give up so easy on our own... Damn!

P.S. Hawks are a team made for high-tempo basketball with deep rotation, athleticism, energy, emotion, and finally a coach (that recognizes those strenghts and is not affraid to implement this)... take Smoove out from that equation... and what's left!?

• Like 1

PLEASE MAKE THIS HAPPEN, RICK SUND!!!

The Hawks will never make the next step while Smith is in the roster. Let him be some other team's "problem child".

I don't know how the rest of the team doesn't get tired of watching him attempt to lead a fast break only to bounce the ball

off his legs or repeadily throw up bricks from long range or whine at the refs every time he doesn't get the foul call. It

would make me furious to be on a team with him.

PLEASE TRADE HIM!

• Like 2

Guest Squawker

Wow plagiarism on this site is intense. nice job posting info you got from the "expert" Chad Ford's Blog. Chad Ford is a troll masquerading as an unbiased knowledgeable analyst. Then yet again the further I read into your post it seems your either the troll or you simply have zero knowledge about the Hawks, or anything for that matter. :write a letter: :magnifier: :camera2: :hush:

Yes i did base this post off of Chad Ford's blog but i did it just to see what everyone thought. And what my thoughts were.

Actually, we were a much weaker team with Flip. The league is much better since we had Flip. Jamal gives us a true almost allstar quality player. A lot of times, he bails this team out. I think if we trade Jamal, we will definitely regret it (unless we can fix something else in that trade). I think Hawks fans fail to realize that we are a flawed team. We have dead wood at the Sf position. We have two Forwards playing the 4 and 5. Between Joe, Jamal, and Horf, they do a lot to cover our problems.

Of course Diesel. The big elephant in the living room is Marvin. It's like this, Al gets Jamal's money next season and Marvin with Mo and Bibs have to be moved. Al and Mo's old money(7.9), with Marvin/Bibs money (13.7) comes to 21.6 million to move for Jamal plus. It has to be creative because moving Marvin and Bibby needs to be some combination of picks and salary coming back. So in this, Jamal may fit in Al and Mo's old money (7.9).

By the way, Josh goes no where. Joe is moved before Josh (imo).