• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Last Night, Did Anyone Notice...

JackB1

when Marvin went down and we brought Zaza in at C how well we played with that lineup?

Al at the 4, Smith the 3 and Joe and Jamal at Guards.

Al was too quick for the opposing PF and I think Josh can handle the 3 if he doesn't dribble too much.

It's an interesting lineup that I think we should use more often. It creates mismatches for us all over

the place.

Nice work LD!

• Premium Member

when Marvin went down and we brought Zaza in at C how well we played with that lineup?

Al was too quick for the opposing PF and I think Josh can handle the 3 if he doesn't dribble too much.

It's an interesting lineup that I think we should use more often. It creates mismatches for us all over

the place.

Nice work LD!

Marvin for Brewer!!!

• Premium Member

That's like trading a Hummer H2 for an H3. It will cost less but you're getting an inferior version of the same type of vehicle. Therefore trading Marvin for Brewer makes zero sense!

Marvin is not an impact player... For one.

Secondly, Marvin makes 8+ Million, Brewer comes off the books this summer. That means we can reup a player who is an impact player in Crawford.

Third, Brewer last yr trumphed Marvin in PPG, 3pt%, apg and spg... and he made 5+ million dollars less than Marvin.

Sometimes, you leave that gas guzzling H2 on the lot and you take home the cheaper, energy efficient H3 because you realize that the H2 is only about looks... Nothing else.

Marvin is not an impact player... For one.

Secondly, Marvin makes 8+ Million, Brewer comes off the books this summer. That means we can reup a player who is an impact player in Crawford.

Third, Brewer last yr trumphed Marvin in PPG, 3pt%, apg and spg... and he made 5+ million dollars less than Marvin.

Sometimes, you leave that gas guzzling H2 on the lot and you take home the cheaper, energy efficient H3 because you realize that the H2 is only about looks... Nothing else.

You're looking at the only good season that Brewer has had though and comparing that with Marvin's worst. Have you seen how awful Brewer has been this year? And have you seen how much better Marvin has been this year? It's going to take a while for Marvin to become more consistent in this offense but he's better than Brewer is now and again while I'm not opposed to trading Marvin there is no way I'd trade him for Brewer since Brewer is just a smaller and even more inconsistent player than Marvin is. If you want to make the Hawks better than you trade him for someone that can consistently knock down the 3 and play defense at least as well as Marvin.

• Premium Member

You're looking at the only good season that Brewer has had though and comparing that with Marvin's worst. Have you seen how awful Brewer has been this year? And have you seen how much better Marvin has been this year? It's going to take a while for Marvin to become more consistent in this offense but he's better than Brewer is now and again while I'm not opposed to trading Marvin there is no way I'd trade him for Brewer since Brewer is just a smaller and even more inconsistent player than Marvin is. If you want to make the Hawks better than you trade him for someone that can consistently knock down the 3 and play defense at least as well as Marvin.

Actually, you have to play right? Brewer really hasn't played much until the other night...

"Corey Brewer got a start for the Timberwolves with Michael Beasley out Wednesday and had twelve points, five rebounds, two 3-pointers and two steals in an ugly loss to the Magic."

Marvin... Knock down the three??

Sorry dol. You miss the whole purpose of the trade. I don't view Brewer as a fix all on the court. I think that he's not that much worst than Marvin. However, you have Marvin and his 30 Million dollars left (in our own personal struggling economy) vs. Brewer and his 3 Million dollars left coming off the books in the summer. BTW. Brewer shoots from outside better than Marvin.

I don't think we have the luxury to sit around and fantasize that Marvin will finally get it like we may have in years past. He always gives a glimmer of hope to start the season. He always says he finally understands at the beginning of the season. He always says he has to assert himself more at the start of the season. Don't fall for the OKidope.

• Premium Member

The thought of Corey Brewer makes me gag. Marvin is better then Brewer so no need to downgrade. And NO, Brewer does NOT shoot better then marvin.

The guy is a career 40% fg shooter, 32% three point fg shooter, 69% ft shooter, and a 3.3 Rpg jugernaut on the glass.

There may be worse players in the NBA... but honestly, I can't really think of a single one off the top of my head.

Edited by Atlantaholic

the place.

Nice work LD!

Interesting Jack. Previously, you've been a Josh detractor and my guess has been it's a preference for Horford. Now in this estimation I agree. If we're comparing traditional roles I would say.

C - Pachulia = Horford. There are some things Zaza does that Al just doesn't and this is really a wash matchup.

PF - Horford > Josh. Now hear me out. I think Josh is the superior impact player on the floor and is my favorite Hawk. But in the context of the traditional NBA team, I prefer Al in the PF role with Josh at the 3. At the 5, Al is stopped on 2 or 3 moves to the basket a game that he would succeed against a smaller player at the 4. Al is a more impactful player (personally) at the 4. Defensively, Al is overmatched against any legit center in the league but he can defend nearly every PF in the league man up.

SF - Josh > Marvin. Now hear me out again. Driving to the basket, there is no real SF in the league that can stop Josh. The type of passer Josh is, is better suited to the SF role. Josh is showing this year he can improve on his outside shooting but his game is best suited to slashing to the basket. Also, there is no SF in the league strong enough to handle him in the post. His weakness here is lateral quickness defensively to stop a driving SF. Marvin is a slightly better on ball defender but Josh's impact off ball makes a much bigger impact.

Additionally, were Marvin to come off the bench with the 2nd unit, he would provide much needed protection for Teague/Crawford against the double team. Against second unit talent, Marvin is an all star....against 1st unit talent he is an average starter.

Josh's style of play is designed to be a havoc causer at both ends of the floor and I'd submit that he is better enabled to be that kind of player at the 3. Al's style of play is to be a reliable stabilizer and he is better suited to do this at the 4. Lastly, Zaza's play this year and his total buy into the new schemes has earned him the extended playtime. With Etan Thomas doing nothing on the bench, there is no downgrade in using Thomas to eat these extra minutes.

Edited by thecampster
  • Like 1

• Premium Member

I'll say it again.

Marvin for Brewer... a savings of about 27 Million dollars over the next 3 years.

By the way... tonight Brewer: 18 points on 50% shooting. 5 Steals.

Brewer has had his three good games of his career against us. What is your point? The guy is a freaking trainwreck that can't even start for a team that will be lucky to win 15 games this year. He has no shot, he can't rebound, he does not pass. The guy is abysmal at three of the very basic fundamental facets of the game. If I had to watch Brewer play more than twice a year I would shoot myself.

• Premium Member

Interesting Jack. Previously, you've been a Josh detractor and my guess has been it's a preference for Horford. Now in this estimation I agree. If we're comparing traditional roles I would say.

C - Pachulia = Horford. There are some things Zaza does that Al just doesn't and this is really a wash matchup.

PF - Horford > Josh. Now hear me out. I think Josh is the superior impact player on the floor and is my favorite Hawk. But in the context of the traditional NBA team, I prefer Al in the PF role with Josh at the 3. At the 5, Al is stopped on 2 or 3 moves to the basket a game that he would succeed against a smaller player at the 4. Al is a more impactful player (personally) at the 4. Defensively, Al is overmatched against any legit center in the league but he can defend nearly every PF in the league man up.

SF - Josh > Marvin. Now hear me out again. Driving to the basket, there is no real SF in the league that can stop Josh. The type of passer Josh is, is better suited to the SF role. Josh is showing this year he can improve on his outside shooting but his game is best suited to slashing to the basket. Also, there is no SF in the league strong enough to handle him in the post. His weakness here is lateral quickness defensively to stop a driving SF. Marvin is a slightly better on ball defender but Josh's impact off ball makes a much bigger impact.

Additionally, were Marvin to come off the bench with the 2nd unit, he would provide much needed protection for Teague/Crawford against the double team. Against second unit talent, Marvin is an all star....against 1st unit talent he is an average starter.

Josh's style of play is designed to be a havoc causer at both ends of the floor and I'd submit that he is better enabled to be that kind of player at the 3. Al's style of play is to be a reliable stabilizer and he is better suited to do this at the 4. Lastly, Zaza's play this year and his total buy into the new schemes has earned him the extended playtime. With Etan Thomas doing nothing on the bench, there is no downgrade in using Thomas to eat these extra minutes.

Excellent evaluation. Tonight's game shows that Josh can excell defensively wherever he is on the floor and when there's another big man besides Al on the floor to rebound, it gives Josh more opportunity to get easy baskets on run outs in transition.

• Premium Member

Brewer has had his three good games of his career against us. What is your point? The guy is a freaking trainwreck that can't even start for a team that will be lucky to win 15 games this year. He has no shot, he can't rebound, he does not pass. The guy is abysmal at three of the very basic fundamental facets of the game. If I had to watch Brewer play more than twice a year I would shoot myself.

I don't care about Brewer. I care about keeping Crawford. You're making these pointless statements trying to defend Marvin but in the 6 years that we have had him and in the 5 years he has been a starter, what has Marvin done to continue receiving 10 Million per over the next 3? What has he done? I'm tired of hearing about Glimpses and having potential. It's been 6 freakin years 5 of which he has been the fulltime starter and we have triage player after player to give Marvin room to grow and he hasn't. Excuse after Excuse. Now, a lot of the board are talking about Craw walking is our only choice? How about we keep one of our best players for a change and we trade off Marvin now?? I mean, why do you think media fools can run with the story of Josh Smith being on the trade block so easily? Is it because they realize that we'd be fools to just let Craw Walk?

Therefore, when I say... Marvin for Brewer, I'm not saying that Brewer is a world beater (even though he looks good against us and he put up 13ppg last year in a crap offense). I'm saying Marvin for Brewer to clear our capspace and be able to keep a core of: JJ, Al, Smoove, Craw. The 4 best players on this team.