• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Nash, Jennings, Daron W and now Telfair?

Highpozt2

Someone posted in response to an earlier post the issues at PG are blatantly obvious. So I will make it obvious again. The last 4 of 5 games the Defense at PG is our most glaring issue.

e.g. Nash (19pts 15 asst), Jennings (19pts 6 asst) and Daron Williams (24pts 10asst) and now Telfair with (18 pts 8asst) are you kidding me.

Telfair is not one of the elite PGs. Opoposing PG realize there is little perimeter defense with the Hawks. Bibby we understand his limitations, but I think hawks fans thought at least Teague would offer solid D. Teague is fast and has a solid vertical, but it has not translated into a starting PG for the Hawks. The Hawks will either have to do some quick player development are go shopping.

It's shopping time, but Sund has not left himself much room under the luxury tax.

I keep waiting for Teague to put together a game that resembles a starting Point Guard that would really go a long way to helping the Hawks particularly some lock down D on opposing Point guards

• Premium Member

I can't get over the fact that he hasn't been able to take the job from Bibby who's useless if he's not shooting lights-out from the field.

Edited by NineOhTheRino

• Moderators

Back on the Bibby is useless wagon? The reason he's still starting is he runs the offense well. We paid AJ to just do that and not hit clutch 3s.

Teague just doesn't have any experience. We know he's not an all-star but that doesn't mean he won't be a good one with some experience. Plus, having the opposing point guard with 18/8 i don't think is really that indicative by itself of horrible defense at the point. That's a nice line but its not 19/15.

Back on the Bibby is useless wagon? The reason he's still starting is he runs the offense well. We paid AJ to just do that and not hit clutch 3s.

Teague just doesn't have any experience. We know he's not an all-star but that doesn't mean he won't be a good one with some experience. Plus, having the opposing point guard with 18/8 i don't think is really that indicative by itself of horrible defense at the point. That's a nice line but its not 19/15.

Yes 18/8 is not that bad except it was Telfair a average PG by NBA standards. I don't think it alone is indicative either. It is not an isolated example Nash, Jennings, Daron and Telfair have all look significantly quicker, stronger and more agressive than our PGs. By observation the opposing PGs have shown to be to quick for Bibby and currently to strong and aggressive for where Teague is in his development.

No one said Bibby was useless. It's just evaluation of his strengths vs weaknesses. He's back to his normal shooting % and he helps offense flow, also his screens for JJ are great but he's just bad defender. In Drew's system where everyone is held accountable for his man it's even bigger issue than before. Hawks may finish RS with solid record but in playoffs Rose/Rondo/Nelson will exploit this without mercy.

Drew even tried to sub different backcourt for offense and defense late in a game vs Minnesota but we need to find a better, permament solution.

Edited by tremor

• Moderators

No one said Bibby was useless. It's just evaluation of his strengths vs weaknesses. He's back to his normal shooting % and he helps offense flow, also his screens for JJ are great but he's just bad defender. In Drew's system where everyone is held accountable for his man it's even bigger issue than before. Hawks may finish RS with solid record but in playoffs Rose/Rondo/Nelson will exploit this without mercy.

Drew even tried to sub different backcourt for offense and defense late in a game vs Minnesota but we need to find a better, permament solution.

Actually 9-0 did say he was useless but he did qualify it. Here's the quote:

Bibby who's useless if he's not shooting lights-out from the field

The last few PGs make most people look useless, but I do agree that finding more D in the backcourt is a priority. This is where I think we will have to move Crawford. If Teague isn't going to run the team in crunch time (and isn't really playing good d anyway) then we can't have Bibby and Crawford as our backcourt in the playoffs. I guess Crawford, Joe as the backcourt is good but maybe not good enough.

Someone posted in response to an earlier post the issues at PG are blatantly obvious. So I will make it obvious again. The last 4 of 5 games the Defense at PG is our most glaring issue.

e.g. Nash (19pts 15 asst), Jennings (19pts 6 asst) and Daron Williams (24pts 10asst) and now Telfair with (18 pts 8asst) are you kidding me.

Telfair is not one of the elite PGs. Opoposing PG realize there is little perimeter defense with the Hawks. Bibby we understand his limitations, but I think hawks fans thought at least Teague would offer solid D. Teague is fast and has a solid vertical, but it has not translated into a starting PG for the Hawks. The Hawks will either have to do some quick player development are go shopping.

Typical overreaction

Nash and D.Will get there numbers against anyone I mean I hope some of you are not thinking that there is some guard out there that we can get that is gonna stop those two from doing what they do ? You cant be serious with that

Telfair played 39 minutes he should 18 and 8 as a pg playing 39 minutes of a Nba game . Unless the the PG has no offensive skills whatsoever thats an average game for those minutes

Jennings didnt do much and padded his stats with a couple of threes before being taken out.

The issue is that these guys are resting on defense and being able to conserve energy for offense . Nash played 30+ minutes and didnt have one personal foul called against him .

Under Woody we would isolate these guys and attack them but under LD most our attacking comes from the wings and quick hitters so we still have to find a balance.

If we are gonna play this motion offense then anyone playing the PG spot should be ultra aggressive on defense because you are not gonna have the ball enough to actually attack the opposing guard much off the dribble .The motion offense imo induces tentative behavior from the pg .

• Moderators

Telfair played 39 minutes he should 18 and 8 as a pg playing 39 minutes of a Nba game . Unless the the PG has no offensive skills whatsoever thats an average game for those minutes

Sebastian Telfair's per 39 minute (not per 36, his per 39) scoring average last season was less than 13 points per 39. His career per 39 average is 13.1 pp39 and 6.4 ap39 along with 1.3 sp39.

He had 18 points, 8 assists, and 3 steals.

That was in no way an average game for him even adjusted for the minutes.

Under Woody we would isolate these guys and attack them but under LD most our attacking comes from the wings and quick hitters so we still have to find a balance.

When did Bibby isolate and draw fouls against opposing PGs under Woody?

• Like 1

Typical overreaction

Nash and D.Will get there numbers against anyone I mean I hope some of you are not thinking that there is some guard out there that we can get that is gonna stop those two from doing what they do ? You cant be serious with that

Jennings didnt do much and padded his stats with a couple of threes before being taken out.

The issue is that these guys are resting on defense and being able to conserve energy for offense . Nash played 30+ minutes and didnt have one personal foul called against him .

If we are gonna play this motion offense then anyone playing the PG spot should be ultra aggressive on defense because you are not gonna have the ball enough to actually attack the opposing guard much off the dribble .The motion offense imo induces tentative behavior from the pg .

No overeaction, just plain facts, we lost all 4 games and the opposing Point Guards had very good numbers. However it is twisted the Hawks PGs have to play better perimeter defense. This is not a new problem it just has not yet been solved. The Coaches on the team recognize the need for a defender at the PG and that is one reason Teague is here, for his perceived ability to stay in front of the faster PGs. It has not translated that way yet, but we will need to see the new and improved Teague and the steadiness of Bibby to be in the top 4 in the East.