• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Screw it, Josh Smith is a 3pt shooter!

Admin

I say let the kid go ahead and shoot these outside shots and forget that historically he's been an abysmal long range shooter. We're far enough into the season with him shooting nearly 50% from downtown to think that this is a fluke and and if it's really not a fluke people are going to have to start guarding him out there and then he'll be able to drive right past them.

• Like 1

I say let the kid go ahead and shoot these outside shots and forget that historically he's been an abysmal long range shooter. We're far enough into the season with him shooting nearly 50% from downtown to think that this is a fluke and and if it's really not a fluke people are going to have to start guarding him out there and then he'll be able to drive right past them.

He was a consistent outside shooter in high school. A do it all player. No idea why he couldn't shoot at first in the pros.

• Like 1

He was a consistent outside shooter in high school. A do it all player. No idea why he couldn't shoot at first in the pros.

Probably a combination of things, such as he has a slow release, he's now 40 lbs heavier than when he was drafted and I imagine that he's had shooting coaches changing his stroke every year.

Probably a combination of things, such as he has a slow release, he's now 40 lbs heavier than when he was drafted and I imagine that he's had shooting coaches changing his stroke every year.

Really, it's just focus. Josh talked about it this off-season. He's focus now on offense when shooting. At the FT line and on the perimeter. He needs to be a better decision maker though.

Edited by nbasuperstar40

• Moderators

I am all for it as long as his coach is at this point. If he regresses, then the coach should stop him from shooting it again but if that is part of the offense he has certainly been effective with it this year.

Honestly the BEST thing that could happen to the Hawks would be for Smith to become a reliable threat from outside as that would allow us to comfortably move him to the 3 and look to trade Marvin for a competent 5 who can rebound and defend and then move Al down to the 4.

I don't have a problem with tossing it up as long as his effectiveness doesn't start depending on whether or not his shot was on. We don't need another Joe.

Honestly the BEST thing that could happen to the Hawks would be for Smith to become a reliable threat from outside as that would allow us to comfortably move him to the 3 and look to trade Marvin for a competent 5 who can rebound and defend and then move Al down to the 4.

Josh at the 3 is more a defensive problem. Most 3's would have their way with him.

I don't have a problem with tossing it up as long as his effectiveness doesn't start depending on whether or not his shot was on. We don't need another Joe.

Josh at the 3 is more a defensive problem. Most 3's would have their way with him.

We've said that before but we have played multiple games with Josh starting at the 3 this year and we've been just as good defensively with him there as we are with him at the 4. Granted I haven't looked up the stats to back that up but I believe that is the case. I think last night and tonight are excellent examples of how effective we can be with Al at the 4 and Smith at the 3 and that's with us pairing them with a bench quality center.

We've said that before but we have played multiple games with Josh starting at the 3 this year and we've been just as good defensively with him there as we are with him at the 4. Granted I haven't looked up the stats to back that up but I believe that is the case. I think last night and tonight are excellent examples of how effective we can be with Al at the 4 and Smith at the 3 and that's with us pairing them with a bench quality center.

I think any defensive positives from him at the 3 have much more to do with the opponent. Josh just isn't a very good man defender. Guys like LeBron, Melo, and Pierce would eat him up.

Marvin is no SG that's for damn sure.

Having said that I do appreciate drew having the stones to pit out a ridiculously big starting lineup out there regardless of skill set.

I agree with that. It's great to see a coach hoping to get new results by actually trying new things.

• Premium Member

IMO smoove could played the 3 , then you put in Wilkins for defensive purposes when needed. It couldnt hurt trying, its not like we gona win a championship with the usual line up anyway.

Word. Good news is that with Joe injured it gives us the room to experiment with these sort of things.

I am learning that Wilkins is a pesky defender but he is laterally very slow. If you are not a good ball handler, you will have issues. If you are a good ball handler and quick, you will crush him. I really never watched Wilkins much, I usually had my eyes on other players.

damn you couldnt have said it better!!!! wat a dream come true this would be!!! and hell to be honest it looks as if it can def happen as early as next year. the way smith is showing out!