• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Why isn't JC2 getting more burn with Joe out?

JackB1

I don't know why JC2 is in Drew's doghouse? He has shown great promise and raw ability and can be a big asset for us, especially now with JJ out.

Why isn't Drew getting JC2 some valuable experience. I just dont get it? The kid can play.

I think sometimes people get carried away with using the term "doghouse" to describe a situation where someone isn't playing, particularly when it relates to a rookie who has to learn how to play at the NBA level, learn an NBA offense and happens to play a position where we are already stacked. I'd love to see him play more minutes as well but it's not at all uncommon for rookies to struggle to get playing time on playoff teams and especially so when the player is a late round pick. From what we've seen of JC2 in the minutes that he's played he looks like he'll be able to play at this level so I'm confident that when his time comes he'll be ready for it. If I had to make a guess as to the primary reason why he's not playing more now it would probably be due to his defense.

I'm A LOT more concerned about why Teague isn't getting playing time and he may in fact be in the "doghouse" since this was supposed to be his year to prove himself but for whatever reason he's not progressing as quickly as LD expects him to and therefore isn't getting the playing time that we'd all like.

• Like 1

His defense is horrific and his shot selction is not there yet.

Simply put.......Mo and Wilkens are better options at the wings right now. With JJ out, Drew's job is to win games ......not grow talent at the expense of winning games.

Wilkens came in the Heat game for his first NBA action in 8 months and did an excellent defensive job on Lebron. We simply can't expect that type of veteran play out of Jordan Crawford right now.

Drew simply has 4 better wing options then Jordan Crawford. Seems pretty easy to see his logic.

• Moderators

The simple answer is we can only dress 12 and we've activated Etan. Bibby/Marv/Josh/Horf/Collins/Jamal Teague/Wilkens/Powell/zaza/Thomas/Mo. That's 12.

For some reason LD is liking the big lineup. I just don't see any reason to activate Etan. Why can't Powell and Zaza play his minutes? a 3 center rotation is crazy, but we have a 4 center rotation right now? weird.

For JC2 though we already have two shooters who can't defend. Do we need to have 3?

For Teague, there just doesn't seem to be a role in the offense for guards that can't shoot. Plus he hasn't been great defensively so that's a double whammy.

I'm with you though. I'd like to see more from JC2. Guys who can knock down shots aren't that easy to find. The other stuff can be taught but you can't develop somone to be a successful long range shooter with no conscience.

The simple answer is we can only dress 12 and we've activated Etan. Bibby/Marv/Josh/Horf/Collins/Jamal Teague/Wilkens/Powell/zaza/Thomas/Mo. That's 12.

For some reason LD is liking the big lineup. I just don't see any reason to activate Etan. Why can't Powell and Zaza play his minutes? a 3 center rotation is crazy, but we have a 4 center rotation right now? weird.

Did you see the Magic and Nets game ? Etan played Howard very well. The Magic tried to attack "The Poet" with Howard but he forced Howard into a turnover. He fought him for position and then forced Howard into and offensive foul on the next possesion.

Neither thing shows up in the box score but that is what Thomas and Collins do. The dirty work in the paint that is not a box score stat.

He played well for the few short minutes he got in the NJ game too.

Its hard to argue or complain about "why" Thomas is filling the 12th man spot vs. teams with large front lines. It seems obvious he is deserving of his few minutes when he gets on the floor vs. bigger centers. He is one of the few guys who does not budge when wrestling with Howard. Collins and Thomas got under Howard's skin the last game. That is good to have in a 7 game playoff series. You need some defensive veteran goons in the paint who can play physical and rack up some hard fouls.

Edited by coachx

His defense is horrific and his shot selction is not there yet.

Simply put.......Mo and Wilkens are better options at the wings right now. With JJ out, Drew's job is to win games ......not grow talent at the expense of winning games.

Wilkens came in the Heat game for his first NBA action in 8 months and did an excellent defensive job on Lebron. We simply can't expect that type of veteran play out of Jordan Crawford right now.

Drew simply has 4 better wing options then Jordan Crawford. Seems pretty easy to see his logic.

Yup. Until Crawford2 works on his defense, i don't see him getting any PT.

Send him to the D-League if they are not going to play him. Let him play there and keep his game in top form. We should have done this with Teague last year. It would have benefited Teague last year and the Hawks this year. Instead they just sit them on the bench and it only hurts their development. These young players can only do so much in practice. They need to see live game action on a regular basis to stay mentally sharp.

• Moderators

Did you see the Magic and Nets game ? Etan played Howard very well. The Magic tried to attack "The Poet" with Howard but he forced Howard into a turnover. He fought him for position and then forced Howard into and offensive foul on the next possesion.

Neither thing shows up in the box score but that is what Thomas and Collins do. The dirty work in the paint that is not a box score stat.

He played well for the few short minutes he got in the NJ game too.

Its hard to argue or complain about "why" Thomas is filling the 12th man spot vs. teams with large front lines. It seems obvious he is deserving of his few minutes when he gets on the floor vs. bigger centers. He is one of the few guys who does not budge when wrestling with Howard. Collins and Thomas got under Howard's skin the last game. That is good to have in a 7 game playoff series. You need some defensive veteran goons in the paint who can play physical and rack up some hard fouls.

I thought Etan did ok on Howard and i'll admit i didn't see the nets game. But is Etan doing as well or better than Collins? They seem to offer the same skill set and I don't see either of them fouling out. Seems like Collins could play Etan's 3 minutes and JC2 could at least be available if we have some garbage time. I'm not complaining though. I'd rather have these guys ready to play in case one of our bigs go down.

I dont know...I guess I'm the only one who was impressed with what I have seen so far from JC2. I didn't pay much attention to his defense, but if "coachx" says it's bad, then it must be bad! :)

I just think the kid is a natural scorer and can light up that basket. But I agree with an earlier poster....either send him to the D league or play him some. he needs to work on his game and and DND's won't help.

I dont know...I guess I'm the only one who was impressed with what I have seen so far from JC2. I didn't pay much attention to his defense, but if "coachx" says it's bad, then it must be bad! :)

I just think the kid is a natural scorer and can light up that basket. But I agree with an earlier poster....either send him to the D league or play him some. he needs to work on his game and and DND's won't help.

I liked what I saw from JC2 as well - on offense, he was aggressive, shot OK and had some nice assists, but he is afterall a rookie so he has absolutely no clue on the defensive game plan. We needed Twin and the Poet the last two games.

Throwing a rookie into a chaos is not a good idea.   It is hard enough for all the players to adjust their new lives as orphans.   To let them take care of a baby could be straw that breaks the camel's back.

I am not saying throw him into the chaos. Just give him minutes when you can. There have been many times these past few games where we had a decent lead and could afford to throw JC2 out there for a 5 minute pop. I just would like to see him develop a little while JJ is out.

I am not saying throw him into the chaos. Just give him minutes when you can. There have been many times these past few games where we had a decent lead and could afford to throw JC2 out there for a 5 minute pop. I just would like to see him develop a little while JJ is out.

He won't play unless there's a blowout.

Edited by Playa

well i too have been inpressed with jc2, and we have no one else that can get you instant scoring off that bech but jamal, mo evans has been abismall. their are some nights we need extra fire power their & at least drew is giving teague enough time to sniff the floor. teauge should be able to get us at least 8 pts. a game with the time he gets coming off the bench, i say if he cant do that by midseason i say replace him with jc2